Anyone tryed the new CVA ACCURA ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nan03n.jpg

Very nice. Dont you think the scope needs to come back so's you dont have to lean so far forward into it?

Shuddup! :wink: I get a lot of grief over where I put my scopes. That is where it fits ME... and I don't have to lean into the scope. If you've ever noticed pics of my other rifles, the scopes are almost always about as far forward as I can shove them.

Underclocked said:
Shuddup! :wink: I get a lot of grief over where I put my scopes. That is where it fits ME... and I don't have to lean into the scope. If you've ever noticed pics of my other rifles, the scopes are almost always about as far forward as I can shove them.

Really?? :lol:

How the heck do i get the rear part of the stock off my optima?! I pulled the little cover and found nothing inside :lol:

:lol: and ruin a new blade? I think not!

Boy what a bummer that was,damned if i am going to pull the recoil pad.

I bought a SS/Camo thumbhole Accura this week to replace an Encore with a worn out barrel. I mounted a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 on Durasight rings and shot it for the first time yesterday. I started with 80 gr BH209 and 250gr shockwaves in superslide sabots. I have a 100 yd range at the house and didn't feel like moving the heavy picnic table closer so that's where I shot. 1st shot was 1" left of bullseye, the boresighter worked well. I could not get a good group with this load, and I bumped up the powder in 10 gr increments with no improvement. I was getting 5-6" groups at all levels of powder, probably shot around 20 rounds.

I've ordered some Hornady FPB bullets, and I have a few other types around the house to try. I also have Pyrodex and 777 pellets, but I'd rather find a good load with the BH209.

I also ordered a Burris Signature Sellect 3x12x44 scope for the gun that should be here next week.

now for the bad news, the sling loop on the butt of the stock broke off during my range session yesterday. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, it was not touching the rest I was using so it's a complete mystery to me. From what I see so far, that's the one design flaw in the gun, they should have used traditional screw in post. My dealer is calling CVA today to see if they'll send him a replacement stock to minimize downtime instead of sending it back.

accura.JPG

accura2.jpg

Haven't shot mine yet, hope to do so today. Definitely think CVA could have done a much better job on stock design.

yeah i never liked that, no clue why they had done that.

5-6" groups clearly states a mismatched sabot. Try a tighter mmp-12 sabot with that shockwave.

Underclocked said:

UC if you ever notice mine are about as far back as I can get them... don't know why. At 6'2" you would think I would be farther forward but that is where it is comfortable for me.

Jaybr said:
I bought a SS/Camo thumbhole Accura this week to replace an Encore with a worn out barrel. I mounted a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 on Durasight rings and shot it for the first time yesterday. I started with 80 gr BH209 and 250gr shockwaves in superslide sabots. I have a 100 yd range at the house and didn't feel like moving the heavy picnic table closer so that's where I shot. 1st shot was 1" left of bullseye, the boresighter worked well. I could not get a good group with this load, and I bumped up the powder in 10 gr increments with no improvement. I was getting 5-6" groups at all levels of powder, probably shot around 20 rounds.

I've ordered some Hornady FPB bullets, and I have a few other types around the house to try. I also have Pyrodex and 777 pellets, but I'd rather find a good load with the BH209.

I also ordered a Burris Signature Sellect 3x12x44 scope for the gun that should be here next week.

now for the bad news, the sling loop on the butt of the stock broke off during my range session yesterday. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, it was not touching the rest I was using so it's a complete mystery to me. From what I see so far, that's the one design flaw in the gun, they should have used traditional screw in post. My dealer is calling CVA today to see if they'll send him a replacement stock to minimize downtime instead of sending it back.

accura.JPG

accura2.jpg

First off, welcome to the forum. It is good to have you here. Your experiences with the Accura are most appreciated.

It sounds like a very exciting rifle... Shame that the small part broke already. That would have kind of bummed me out. Nice looking rifle though.

As for your poor accuracy, I would go to the standard Shockwave. It shounds like the EZ super slide sabots are too loose and you're not getting a good seal down there. With the BlackHorn 209 you have to have a good tight fitting sabot I am starting to believe. When you have that, you have good accuracy. So if you want to shoot Shockwaves get some of the standard, black sabot Shockwaves.

Keep the posts coming about the Accura...

Working at home today and couldn't resist trying a few more rounds on my lunch break :lol:

I had a few Hornady 240gr XTP's, pushed them with 100 gr of BH209 and got better group than the shockwaves but still not great. around 4-5"

I then switched to 250gr Hornady SST on lock & load speed sabots using 2 777 magnum pellets and got a very good group. I didn't have a ruler with me, but 2 holes where touching and the 3rd was about a bullet width away. For hunting purposes this kind of grouping is fine for me.

I then tried the Shockwaves in front of 777 pellets and they wheren't much better than before.

I do think the BH209 is causing part of the problem, it's very dirty in this gun and I'm getting some blowback as well. I'm guessing the blackness in the barrel is unburned powder? or is it just soot?

i doubt its the powder. All of these 4-5" groupings are telling me that the sabots are the problem and they need to be tighter. Im not much of a sabot junky but from what i have shot "thanks to big6x6" a simple sabot swap out makes a world of difference.

If you try a tighter fitting sabot I think you will really like the BH209. I think the dirty barrel is coming from unburned bowder due to a loose fitting sabot. This is just my opinion. Try a Harvester Short Black. I'm not sure about the bore size of the Accura but this sabot really works in all of the T/C models.

Thanks for the tips, I'd really like to get the BH working since I bought 2 bottles of it.

Since I got good results from the SST's I'll try some with the BH powder. I'll also try the FPB bullets next week.

BTW: Dealer called and CVA is sending a new stock :p

Thats great to hear they are taking care of you so quickly.

SST has a good sabot that my CVA's of the past had liked. My X-150 i had shot a 1 3/4" group @ 100 yards on my first outing with that 250gr sst. Not shabby with open sights!

I found a load the gun likes.

300gr Powerbelt Platinum with 100gr of BH209, also switched to CCI magnum primers to help with the unburned powder.

Around .75" at 100 yds

accuratarget.jpg

I also tried 110gr of powder and the group opened up a bit, at 120gr of powder the primer was expanding and sticking in the nipple so I quit testing that load.

Also tried DeadCenter 300gr at 110 and it was about the same as the PB with 110.

Latest posts

Back