Are all balls created equal???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoHiCntry

Reaction score
So I’m entering the world of PRB’s after using conicals only for hunting. Are all balls basically the same?  Are there different material make up or other considerations to consider when buying balls?  Any information is appreciated as I really have no idea and basically no knowledge about round balls. Thanks...

I'll be interested in the feedback on this, I use Hornady because they are easy to find, are frequently on sale and seem to perform well. Here is a 54 that I took out of this years deer compared to an unfired one.
20181011.jpg

I am in the same boat as you CoHiCntry, Me being a “Dyed in the Wool” Bullet Guy This Roundball is ALL New to me. I just bought a New in the Box old school CVA .45 Cal Mountain Rifle, According to tracking info I should get the Rifle this Thursday the 17th

I ran over to Buffalo Arms and picked up some supplies the other morning, Since i pour my own projectiles I decided to buy a .440 RB Mold, i went with an RCBS 2 Cavity. I also picked up 1 box of Hornady Swaged Roundballs for testing. I actually like the looks of my own Cast balls better, or at least every bit as good as the Store bought. I will soon find out if i can tell any difference in accuracy or not?

5cdsshbm.jpg

ZcVPeNPm.jpg

Il3ziPAm.jpg

Hey Idaholewis, good to see you found this forum. You’ve been a great help to me over on the other forum when I was switching from an inline to a sidelock shooting big conicals.  Now I’m taking the next step to real black powder and PRB.  Always enjoy reading your posts!  I’ll be interested to hear what your accuracy testing shows.

Commercially manufactured round balls are not all the same.

i had always used Hornady made round balls. They fit my .50 and .54 caliber TC rifles very well. Then one day i bought some cheaper .50 caliber Traditions round balls at Academy. The things are too large. They also appear to be harder.

While you might find some very small differences in diameter from different brands of balls, adjusting the patch material will pretty much always make up for the differences. Just stick to the purest lead you can find if making your own, or purchasing them. Some guys tend to want to mix some wheel weights into the mix, and I don't think this is really a good idea. I've shot a ton of .440's over the years, and have pretty much settled on .445's anymore, as I like a good snug fit. Have fun with your new endeavor...

Thanks for the replies!  So, what I'm gathering is there might be some differences in sizing or roundness from one manufacturer to the next but there's no difference in performance?  Especially as it pertains to big game hunting?  There aren't some balls that are meant for target practice, then others designed for hunting... correct?

Ive used Speer, Hornady and home cast. I dont cast anymore but I have bought home cast from guys I know who do a good job. Last time I hunted in Colo with muzzleloaders I used the Hornady balls. One thing about home cast you always want to make sure of the sprue location. With Hornady and Speer you dont have that issue. CoHi Country where are you at up in the high country?

BigAl52 said:
Ive used Speer, Hornady and home cast. I dont cast anymore but I have bought home cast from guys I know who do a good job. Last time I hunted in Colo with muzzleloaders I used the Hornady balls. One thing about home cast you always want to make sure of the sprue location. With Hornady and Speer you dont have that issue. CoHi Country where are you at up in the high country?
Thanks... sounds like I just need to get some different ones and start trying them out.  I don't plan on making my own, at least at this point!

I'm west of Colorado Springs in Woodland Park.

This is a good subject that has been around since Speer, Hornady and a few others started offering round balls. 

When these companies offered "swagged" round balls is when I got interested. Cast round balls if not weighted can become an issue with small voids not visible to the eye when casted (mold to hot or cold causes this). Swagged on the other hand are made with pressure not having the voids (air pockets) that can make a flyer or not shoot the same as the previous shot. 

I mention Friendship National Matches in IN every once in a while on these posts. This is the test bed for muzzleloading shooting. These shooters are some of the best shots in this field and they test everything under the sun to find that edge over the other shooter. Last time as well as times before, seems everyone was shooting swagged over poured. There's a reason no voids. Every round has been weighted and ones that were off of the group number are used for local shooting not these matches at Friendship. Each shooter has a weight that there match rifle or pistol likes and that's the "target weight". Now there is swagged dies and small presses to make your own swagged balls (never bothered to check it out, I've become lazy and just by Speer or Hornady swagged).

This is reason that swagged should be considered for hunting, use the cast balls to just shoot at targets (they don't require a hard to get hunting permit).  

Thanks for your time.

Had a few friends that lived there years ago, AMM brothers that have now went to cleaner water and better pastures. We had some good time at period camps in Woodland Park, nice quiet place.

How's the new side-lock shoot CoHiCntry?

I cast all of my ammo these days. When I can control the quality, I only have one person to blame for failure lol.

Buck Conner said:
Had a few friends that lived there years ago, AMM brothers that have now went to cleaner water and better pastures. We had some good time at period camps in Woodland Park, nice quiet place.

How's the new side-lock shoot CoHiCntry?
Like every place else in Colorado Woodland Park has changed over the years.  It's still nice being in the mountains with somewhat decent hunting close by, but close enough to Colorado Springs for jobs and other stuff that comes with a bigger city.

I haven't shot the new gun yet... been busy at work, then the holidays, now the snow has piled up.  Really looking forward to shooting it!  It's a great looking gun.

I thought about you this morning... I was reading my newest Poke & Stroke from CSMLA and saw your name listed as the "muzzleloader of the year" in 1988!

Thank you for mentioning that, those were good times.  Oh for the good old days.  :slaps:

I buy round balls from TOTW.  I've purchased both hand cast and Hornady in .54 and .58CAL. I haven't noticed any difference on the paper.  They both seem to shoot the same for me.  You do have to be aware of the sprue location when loading the hand cast but that's the only difference for me.

Smokin' Joe said:
I buy round balls from TOTW.  I've purchased both hand cast and Hornady in .54 and .58CAL. I haven't noticed any difference on the paper.  They both seem to shoot the same for me.  You do have to be a ware  of the spur location when loading the hand cast but that's the only difference for me.
I have to agree Joe, as long as the person casting the balls pays attention to an average weight on them they should be fine. Like said I'm lazy so its easier to get a box of Hornady's when needed as Cabela's is 2 miles away.

For store bought I prefer Speer, always weighed and sized more consistent.

I've been using some Lee molds lately, and you really have to look close to find the sprue. Maybe they changed up something in their mfg. of them, but I have been having very good luck shooting them...and don't even try to position the sprue up or down. I've used a bunch of brands of molds over the years, and the sprue was always a factor.

Same as molfish with the lee molds, and the more they bounce around in the box or bag the harder it is to find the sprue. They should be weighed, I don't know of another way to find voids.

Back