At the Range...Barnes T-EZ stock sabots vs. Harvester Black smooth sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowsolo

Reaction score
At the Range...Barnes T-EZ stock sabots vs. Harvester Black smooth sabots

Shot 15 or so shots today. Wanted to see how the supplied blue T-EZ sabots did vs. the Harvester Black smooth short sabots did. These black sabots are for 300gr or less bullets. 38 degrees, 13 mph wind out of SW (shooting north). I cleaned the plug before each 3 shot group, did not clean the bore. I tried a few 290gr T-EZ bullets I had and my gun LOVED EM! 2 shots through same hole and 3rd touching! Used 110gr of BH209 and CCI 209M primers. I cant get good groups with the supplied blue sabots with the flat base T-EZ. I bought a extra QRBP from Carlos and he drilled it out to .035 before shipping it out and sent some fiocchi's with it. Should be here tomorrow so I'll test that out when it gets here. All shots with 110gr of BH209 and CCI209M all 100yds

Barnes 290gr T-EZ with Harvester Black short smooth sabots. 3 shots!
DSC_0001-1.jpg

Barnes 250gr T-EZ with supplied blue sabots. The sabots fall apart too.
DSC_0002-2.jpg

Barnes 250gr T-EZ with Harvester Black smooth short sabots
DSC_0003-2.jpg

Same as above but came up on scope adjustments like 2 or 3 clicks
DSC_0004-2.jpg

Re: At the Range...Barnes T-EZ stock sabots vs. Harvester Black smooth sabots

now thats some great shooting :!:

Wow! You have me thinking about the 290gr instead of the 250 gr T-EZ.

Never going to beat that group.

Did you try the 290 gr with the supplied blue sabot? Did it do any better than the 250 gr?

Colorado said:
Wow! You have me thinking about the 290gr instead of the 250 gr T-EZ.

Never going to beat that group.

Did you try the 290 gr with the supplied blue sabot? Did it do any better than the 250 gr?
No I didnt Colorado but I will hopefully thursday this week. This isnt my favorite bullet combo yet. I really like the Barnes TMZ boattails and will be picking a pack of the 250 and 290gr's up tomorrow and will shoot those with the Harvester Crush Rib yellow sabots vs. the stock Barnes yellow sabots. I have a few more weeks before my construction job calls me back and then my life is over until December, so im trying to get my perfect load now so im good for next deer season.

I'm not sure I can get the TMZ down my bore.

How did the Harvester sabots load compared to the blue sabots with the T-EZ? Easier-harder?

My bore is perfect for the .501 Thor. I can force a .502, and .500 fall to the breech plug.

I'm trying to figure out what sabots will work for me without buying a bunch of stuff I can't use.

Colorado....To be honest with you, I really didnt notice a difference in my V2 when loading these two sabots as far as pressure. I have shot the Barnes Tmz's with the harvester yellow crush rib's and they load great. Not to loose and no to snug. Its a perfect combo in my opinion. What are you shooting? Keep in mind this is my first muzzleloader so I have no experience with other ML's to compare to, just the one im shooting now. I got the THOR sample pack in yesterday and the .500 went dwon the V2's barrel pretty easy and the .501 was tight. I didnt even bother with the others.

Colorado said:
I'm not sure I can get the TMZ down my bore.

How did the Harvester sabots load compared to the blue sabots with the T-EZ? Easier-harder?

My bore is perfect for the .501 Thor. I can force a .502, and .500 fall to the breech plug.

I'm trying to figure out what sabots will work for me without buying a bunch of stuff I can't use.
If thats the Impact, give the bore a good 100 strokes of JB Bore paste. They are tight barreled and the paste helps clean them up to load smoothly.

It's the Omega. I'm thinking it's not too tight if I can get a .502 Thor down it.

I couldn't find JB, but I did use Break Free bore paste for about 25 strokes when I first got the gun.

The gun came with a sample pack of TC ShockWaves. I got those down ok with a clean barrel.

Doh my bad! Forgot you got the omega instead.

That is some great shooting snowsolo. I could not have done it any better than that. That combination you just tried I have never thought about since I get great groups with the blue sabots, but I will give them a try. Keep up the good work.

Good shooting! Have you tried the Harvester 260 or 300gr Scorpion PT's in a smooth Harvester sabot? They will stack em all day with 110gr of BH209. Ask for a sample next time you order from Harvester if you have not tried them.

Good report snowsolo, my TC didn't shoot them so well but now that I have the .50 Optima Pro I,ll give them a try again.

The 250 TMZ's shoot great out of my Pro Hunter with the yellow cr. Firm to load but not too firm.

smyers717 said:
Good shooting! Have you tried the Harvester 260 or 300gr Scorpion PT's in a smooth Harvester sabot? They will stack em all day with 110gr of BH209. Ask for a sample next time you order from Harvester if you have not tried them.
No I have not tried them. My buddy swears by them but I saw a Ballistic gel test done with them and they fell apart and retained very little weight shot after shot. After seeing this I didnt bother buying any.

bulletgroup02.jpg

Snow...........Something is wrong with those results of the PT Gold.

Look at the PT is this shot. (left top)

http://harvestermlhunter.blogspot.com/

So, we have two paid guys. Toby and Max.

Who do we believe? I'm leaning towards Toby.

Colorado said:
Snow...........Something is wrong with those results of the PT Gold.

Look at the PT is this shot. (left top)

http://harvestermlhunter.blogspot.com/

So, we have two paid guys. Toby and Max.

Who do we believe? I'm leaning towards Toby.
Uh oh, I knew this might stir the hornets nest a bit. From what I understand Max (Russell Lynch) isnt paid one penny according to his claims in his videos. Now he did say that company's send him stuff to test but he doesnt get paid. I know Toby is a big harvester and a PT guy and is plasterd all over Harvester's web site so im leaning towards him endorsing the PT golds. Im just guessing and im not 100%. PT gold are very popular bullets and alot of guys use them but alot of guys use Powerbelts too and have had great success but you can also read lots of failures on reviews from different websites too about them not holding together. I dont use the PT's so I cant say from my own doing, Im just relaying what I saw from a guy that says he test things out of his own pocket. Maybe FG can pop a few into a bucket and test em out. It would be a good post if he did, I know alot of guys here that use those PT golds.

When I say paid for Russell. I mean he sells his information. Toby gets paid from a different direction.

Lets say they both get paid for their information.

I just bought a bulk order of PT Golds. I did it from all the good reviews it got. This upsets me if it's true. I'm going to show this to Ron from Harvester, and see what his reaction is.

Like I said. You didn't start anything. I get Max's newsletters, but I forgot about the PT Gold's. At the time he sent it I was shooting my Renegade with a PRB and didn't pay any attention to it. Last night I went and read all of Max's info. I had to chuckle when I read one about cleaning products that make your gun more accurate. (grin) What do you know. It was Max's products.

I'm upset about this. I'd like to see a test of all the bullets from an independent tester. Is there one out there that I missed?

Say something to Ron and see what he says. I love Harvester stuff and would love for someone to test this bullet out to see if its true. I just dont see why MAX would lie about it, if he his he can kiss my A%$!. Are those PT's copper clad or electro plated or something like that, kinda like the PB's? I dont know thats why im asking.

The PT is electroplated. It's not suppose to separate. It kind of like a partition bullet. The front half will expand, and the rear half stays together for penetration.

I did point Ron to this thread. Lets see what he says.

I'm not sure why Russell would lie either, but if he did i'm going to expose him. This is bull.

I've decided that I don't believe the results of Russell's test.

He pushes CVA way too much, and they have no connection with Harvester.

I need to see someone else testing the PT Gold that gets the same results.

Back