At the Range...Barnes T-EZ stock sabots vs. Harvester Black smooth sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: At the Range...Barnes T-EZ stock sabots vs. Harvester Black smooth sabots

I hear you Colorado. Who knows whats going on. Maybe thats why he said that about the Harvester PT's tho because he has no ties and isnt getting paid by them. Check out Russell's latest blog from 3-8-2011 he bashes CVA's website and puts them down pretty harsh about their QRBP plug and their research department. I thought when I first saw Max's videos he was all about T/C and then I read his "the truth about T/C" post and he rips the craftsmenship of the barrels and triggers and says they are way overpriced. Thats why I always thought he was telling the truth becasue even when you think he is behind something, then he comes out and starts pointing out all the flaws and what could be better. Contact Russell and ask him about the PT's and see if he responds.

http://www.maxmuzzleloaderblog.com/

Colorado said:
I'd say he's in CVA's pocket.

http://blog.cva.com/
LOL!........Interesting? Wonder why he talks what I thought in my opinion bad about CVA in his home page blog on March 3rd, 8th and 11th. He said CVA doesnt have good intrest in helping their shooters with the whole QRBP debate thing. After reading his last 3 blog post, I thought maybe he joined hands with Blackhorn. Still doenst explain why he might be bashing Harvester's PT gold tho. I've been reading how to make ballistic gel and to make it according to the FBI's specs, it aint cheap. Maybe this summer I will make up 2 or 3 long enough blocks to shoot at and just test our bullets on our own. Seems to be the only truthful way to accomplish anything anymore is to just do it yourself.

Wow! did we get way off track on this post as far as range pics and stuff. Good stuff tho, thanks for checking stuff out with me Colorado.

I did get an answer from Ron. Until someone besides Max can prove the PT Gold has a problem. I'm going to use them.

Shockwaves are shown blown up as well, 95% of the complaints i read are " It didnt expand!!" I've shot roughly 30-40 of the 250gr SST's and they either parted from the jacket or didnt expand at all.

When in doubt, make it a barnes! :lol!:

FG............I wish you'd test the PT Gold.

does harvester make them?

FrontierGander said:
does harvester make them?
I don't think they make the bullet. Just the sabot.

If you mean do they sell them? Yes.

ok i will check them out.

FrontierGander said:
Shockwaves are shown blown up as well, 95% of the complaints i read are " It didnt expand!!" I've shot roughly 30-40 of the 250gr SST's and they either parted from the jacket or didnt expand at all.

When in doubt, make it a barnes! :lol!:
Yea Ive heard that too. I heard the bonded shockwaves are fine but the non-bonded with the yellow tip blow up and dont retain their weight. Actually max posted a pic of those next to the PT's in the pic I posted earlier.

I sent an e-mail to Max/Russell about his test. Lets see what he says.

I find it strange that nobody else has come up with his results.

From Russell:

I've taken a few deer with the PT Gold and they are very accurate. All of the bullet test we do are in ballistic gel that is from the same folks that the FBI get it from and mixed and cooled by their directions.

Any time we have a bullet that I guess I would fail or not retain 70 to 80% +/-, we shoot a second shot. In the case of the PT gold, what you seen on video was the best of the two. Now if they have changed in the past two years or so, I don't know. The ones I tested have a copper plating on them, it's not a copper jacket and the lead seemed soft. That what I think the problem is.

Tip my hat to him, he replied quick. So now what, take his word for it or test it on our own?

Thanks for that post Colorado, thats good stuff.

Our own test.

Back