Attaching a ramrod keeper to a CVA Accura MR?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will take a look at my mr tonight and let you know. I think it's spring steel that clamps to the barrel.

I think you gents are correct. I spoke with a second CVA rep who seemed more knowledgeable and he confirmed they are steel clamps. CVA will be sending me a new keeper and ramrod. I thought it was brazed and perhaps I had a bad brazing.

Here is the drawing for the MR and it's parts 30374 and 30906 I will be replacing.

Attachments

• Accura_MR.jpg
    Accura_MR.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 423
Like has been said, it's spring steel and just clips into the cut-outs in the barrel. Your other one got sprung out of the cut-outs, and may still be good?

I will check tonight. I had assumed it a loss, but kept it on the ramrod. If I can salvage it I will. No matter what I'll need another ramrod though. :?

Turns out the front ramrod keeper was significantly deformed during the event that role it free so it cannot be reused.

I had a bad day at the range this past weekend where the front ramrod keeper broke free from my Accura MR Bad day at the range - Accura MR broken and MK-85 won't fire. I've contacted CVA and they mentioned sending me a new thimble.

Wouldn't the ramrod keeper need to be brazed in place? CVA rep I talked too had zero idea of how this thimble is attached.
Had the same thing happen to me at the range, ramrod keeper popped off, its spring loaded and I found the best way to put it back in place, put the ramrod keeper on the ram rod, slide the ram rod back into place but only so the rod just begins to enter the for end of the muszzelloader, slide the keeper so it lines up with the grooves in the barrel, hook one side of the keeper in the groove, gently pull the keeper towards the side to be hooked, with side pressure the keeper will snap back in place. I know use a range rod at the range to load with, and do not take my ramrod out of the gun until I have to load my muzzleloader in the field. Have a nice day.

Here is the drawing for the MR and it's parts 30374 and 30906 I will be replacing.
Had the same thing happen to me at the range, ramrod keeper popped off, its spring loaded and I found the best way to put it back in place, put the ramrod keeper on the ram rod, slide the ram rod back into place but only so the rod just begins to enter the for end of the muszzelloader, slide the keeper so it lines up with the grooves in the barrel, hook one side of the keeper in the groove, gently pull the keeper towards the side to be hooked, with side pressure the keeper will snap back in place. I know use a range rod at the range to load with, and do not take my ramrod out of the gun until I have to load my muzzleloader in the field. Have a nice day.

This happened with my Accura V-2. Set one side of ramrod keeper in the groove, I pushed the other side over using the psalm of my hand. After it snaps in, put the plastic piece in making sure the little plastic snap is lined up correctly. 👍

I think these ramrod holders are the only thing I dont like about my Accura. I may see about drilling and tapping a short hole to put on a TC type. Or something a little more trustworthy. I knocked one off at the range once and lost the plastic insert a couple times.

Well, to wrap up my story from a while back I called CVA and they said they would be happy to fix it for me.

Because I didn’t want to chance missing the season without my muzzleloader, I used a three piece Spinjag ramrod for the season (after checking zero without a ramrod in pace).

It looked a little strange to be carrying a ML sans ramrod, but I killed a couple deer so apparently the deer don’t care one way or another. :)

After the season CVA fixed it up and sent it back to me good as new. Ramrod back in place, my Accura has continued to kill deer.

Last edited:
Just a note on Accura ramrods, the MR & V2 are different length and if you have witness marks and mix them up you may find the difference. This happened to my sons & I when sighting in our rifles at the same time.

LyIDjTPl.jpg

Back