CVA Accura MR-X 40cal 1-20 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.402 250gr Fury might shoot in the 1-20 with no problem. The do make 40cal (.412) poly wads also.
OAL without tip is .955"
Estimated BC for the 250gr is .340

Yeah, I kinda want one.
I honestly wonder why they don’t market it as a smokeless rifle- if my data is correct- which it seems to be dang close. Blackhorn 209 would be in 55kpsi range at these levels. You’d be able to use smokeless powders also.

I get that, but on the same token, I've seen a pretty good spread on both ends of that work quite well also. Some ppl testing out different bullets, different weights, lengths, BC's with various charges & run it through a chrony & post their range reports with target pics. Thats goin to be quite interesting to keep up with. I'll be watching & learning.
I agree- I just really wish they would have done the normal 1/14 or 1/12 twist you see way more commonly for 40 stuff.

So does that mean its 209 and/or Variflame?

It should. The old Optima here can do either. A standard QRBP was modified in 2015 to use the variflame adapters; the rifle can use either W209 or large rifle primers, depending on the breech plug used.

P1040141.JPG

P1040147.JPG

P1040150.JPG

What im getting at is the original ad on "ML dot com" did not specify the type of ignition. This sort of makes it sound like the MR-X is a 209 rifle BUT they plan on offering a Variflame for it a an option.

This looks like an awesome rifle! But man, it's really pushing the classic definition of a "muzzleloader".

Does anyone else worry about cool rifles like this causing states to either eliminate or redefine their already restrictive big game muzzleloader hunting seasons (like some states already have)? The whole idea behind those special hunts in the first place was to give "primitive weapon" users extra opportunity since their weapons are so range limited and challenging to take game with. The Paramount HTR is definitely anything but a primitive weapon... Pretty much just a non-breech loading single shot 300 Win Mag.

"Pushing and exceeding the limits of muzzleloaders", as the ad says. No doubt new regs will follow, so be prepared. It will be interesting to see how they are worded... They could also retroactively outlaw many of the current muzzleloaders we already own and hunt with, relegating them to sad lives of bondage as target rifles on the range :eek:.

I suppose we could have said the same about any modern in-line advancements, or even traditional side/flint locks and percussion guns that have better and higher twist barrels, shooting fast/accurate high-tech bullets, with high-tech BP substitute powders. Or new-tech bows that can cast deadly arrows accurately at much longer ranges than a few years ago. Primitive weapons are evolving quickly these days.

I just won't view this as a hunting muzzleloader. It's a dedicated target gun, or a centerfire season gun.

Last edited:
This looks like an awesome rifle! But man, it's really pushing the classic definition of a "muzzleloader".

Does anyone else worry about cool rifles like this causing states to either eliminate or redefine their already restrictive big game muzzleloader hunting seasons (like some states already have)? The whole idea behind those special hunts in the first place was to give "primitive weapon" users extra opportunity since their weapons are so range limited and challenging to take game with. The Paramount HTR is definitely anything but a primitive weapon... Pretty much just a non-breech loading single shot 300 Win Mag.

"Pushing and exceeding the limits of muzzleloaders", as the ad says. No doubt new regs will follow, so be prepared. It will be interesting to see how they are worded... They could also retroactively outlaw many of the current muzzleloaders we already own and hunt with, relegating them to sad lives of bondage as target rifles on the range :eek:.

I suppose we could have said the same about any modern in-line advancements, or even traditional side/flint locks and percussion guns that have better and higher twist barrels, shooting fast/accurate high-tech bullets, with high-tech BP substitute powders. Or new-tech bows that can cast deadly arrows accurately at much longer ranges than a few years ago. Primitive weapons are evolving quickly these days.

I just won't view this as a hunting muzzleloader. It's a dedicated target gun, or a centerfire season gun.
Fu** that’s why they didn’t advertise it as a smokeless. Bh209 is approved in every state pretty much.

I think you are confusing the MR-X with the Paramount HTR.....This is the MR-X/LR-X topic.

The MR-X as described actually does nothing that has not already been done.....A 225gr bullet at 2300fps has been available since at least 2001. Now its just a 40cal bullet doing it. That is almost exactly the same speed i shoot a 225gr Barnes XPB right now in my NULA (made prior to 2008).

I dont think you are conisdering states that dont have typical CF seasons too. Such as shotgun, ML or straight wall only restrictions. I would much rather shoot something like a high performance 40cal ML than a slug gun that cost over $3 a pop to shoot it. These same fast twist 40s and 45s also make excellent conical shooters. More or less the exact same type of loads that have been possible in rifles like the Gibbs for ages.

Other than the obvious difference in cost and use of optics i just dont see any difference. Rifles like this are plenty lethal past 200 yards. All you have to do is shell out nearly 2 grand and practice.
5fa017b983402986531467.jpeg

Last edited:
I think you are confusing the MR-X with the Paramount HTR.....This is the MR-X/LR-X topic.

The MR-X as described actually does nothing that has not already been done.....A 225gr bullet at 2300fps has been available since at least 2001. Now its just a 40cal bullet doing it. That is almost exactly the same speed i shoot a 225gr Barnes XPB right now in my NULA (made prior to 2008).

I dont think you are conisdering states that dont have typical CF seasons too. Such as shotgun, ML or straight wall only restrictions. I would much rather shoot something like a high performance 40cal ML than a slug gun that cost over $3 a pop to shoot it. These same fast twist 40s and 45s also make excellent conical shooters. More or less the exact same type of loads that have been possible in rifles like the Gibbs for ages.

Other than the obvious difference in cost and use of optics i just dont see any difference. Rifles like this are plenty lethal past 200 yards. All you have to do is shell out nearly 2 grand and practice.
5fa017b983402986531467.jpeg
I love the Gibbs rifle. I really wish my eyes were in good shape & I had the range to do one any justice &'d already have one. I just watched one in .45 sell on GB for more in an auction than what Pedersoli or Dixie Gun works sells them for on their website. That would be cool to hunt from a shooting house with, but no way would I ever want to carry it around any of the places I've hunted between the weight & 33" barrel.

I agree- I just really wish they would have done the normal 1/14 or 1/12 twist you see way more commonly for 40 stuff.
You'll get no argument from me there bud. Even a 1:16 would have been fantastic IMO. There was & still is plenty of scoffing at the 1:22 twist .45's but myself & others are proving those perceptions very wrong. So perhaps that 1:20 won't be so terrible if the right bullets are being used. I've seen what the .45 PB ELR's do to a deer at over 2400 fps., I'd hate to think what those .40 225gr ELR's will do at over 2800fps. It will be beyond devastating I'm sure.

People have mentioned CVA's penchant for loose bores. I would only point out the last several Accura MR bores I have slugged range from .499 to .501 for the .50 caliber rifles. I have asked about land to land measurements for the new .40s but haven't got an answer yet.

People have mentioned CVA's penchant for loose bores. I would only point out the last several Accura MR bores I have slugged range from .499 to .501 for the .50 caliber rifles. I have asked about land to land measurements for the new .40s but haven't got an answer yet.
Not all CVA rifles are made with the loose bores...my Prairie Rifle is .499. Its the rifles made for the ELR bullets namely the Paramount and the Paramount Pro and most likely this new .40 cal rifle. Its not a disaster because the ELR's shoot well and are terminally devastating on game. It's just that there are a lot of other quality bullet manufacturers out there ( Fury, Parker, Harvester et al) that it would have been nice to be able to use without knurling to get to fit properly. It's a poor marketing strategy on CVA's part IMO because it's estranging guys like me. I'm seriously considering dealing off my new Paramount because of it on principle. I've yet to put it into battery so I'll defer my decision to after I've had a chance to wring it out but if anyone from CVA is reading this I suggest you take heed...don't pigeonhole us by design to your proprietary bullets...it pisses us off and you are going to ultimately lose sales because of it. Bergara can make these barrels dead nuts on bore if you want them to...wise up and do it.

Latest posts

Back