CVA Accura MR-X 40cal 1-20 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't agree more with you and I still want the rifle,, I do believe this is a fact if they're bores were designed to shoot our bullets over here they would not sell near as many let bullets,, I have several boxes of those sitting at home I will not shoot them in my paramount out of silent protest I do shoot the fury 453 STBs,,,, blue spaceships look cool though,, and I know they're devastating on deer and accurate I just rebel against the control issue,, independent American muzzleloader going to stay that way

They sure can. Its just a 45-70 barrel blank and they already make those. So it makes no sense the 45 MLs they cranked out for years are pushing .452 on the lands or more. I could easily push a 300gr XTP down my Accura V1 45 no problem. Sure made getting the Harvester sabot a pain to shoot fast too.

40s become far more complicated. There are several "40s" even a 41 mag is a 40. The grooves are .410ish. So what the heck you think they will use? Could be at least 4 or 5 possible land/groove dimensions. I hoping its 408Cheytac based like the RBinAR barrels for MLIIs.
https://mcgowenbarrel.com/bore-groove/

I couldn't agree more with you and I still want the rifle,, I do believe this is a fact if they're bores were designed to shoot our bullets over here they would not sell near as many let bullets,, I have several boxes of those sitting at home I will not shoot them in my paramount out of silent protest I do shoot the fury 453 STBs,,,, blue spaceships look cool though,, and I know they're devastating on deer and accurate I just rebel against the control issue,, independent American muzzleloader going to stay that way
Out if curiosity, how do those STB's shoot? Dennis told me they shoot lights out out of a Paramount... I'd like to get a 1st hand perspective from someone that's actually shot them from his own rifle.

Out if curiosity, how do those STB's shoot? Dennis told me they shoot lights out out of a Paramount... I'd like to get a 1st hand perspective from someone that's actually shot them from his own rifle.
I shot them from my custom before they became available. Single hole at 100yds. Yes, I had to size them.

My Paramount loves them,,, also my CVA 28 twist shoot them very well with 70 grains of black horn by weight,,finally got my hands on a can of black horn I'm fixing to fire my paramount back up the next few days I'll update you.

Attachments

• IMG_20191109_072906169.jpg
    IMG_20191109_072906169.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 10
In cool weather here I have to size them ever so slightly in the summer I can seat them seating pressure perfect ,, I tried choosing a wad veggie and wool it made no difference in accuracy

GM 120 have you ever got one of those wads turn sideways?,,and it has not happened to me and maybe I worry about that for nothing but it just seems like it might cause an issue if I did, maybe that's impossible it shows my experience with them

If you get the wad in far enough and it looks good, I say there is virtually no way when pushing the bullet down that the wad will go sideways. Resistance will keep the wad nice and flat against the base of the bullet.

I would love to buy a .40 cal. but unfortunately, it's not legal to hunt with in Iowa.

Thank you I know sometimes you get a little worry in your head and it can avalanche,, still learning appreciate everybody's opinion

BTW, not sure i would use them with lead. Jacketed though its fine. Shooting lead i would suggest just wool or poly/wool/then the conical if using BH209. That way its gunna seal but the poly wad wont stick to the conical.

Played around with kwk today and its lining up with my guess. A 1-20 40 will be rough for a 400gr conical but a couple like this one might shoot. It needs (according to kwk) a 1-19.5 twist at 1400fps.
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=41-390P
Change the twist to 1-16 and even a 1.3" long 40 should stabilize.

JBMs calculator says the 1-20 will however.
Stability Input Data
Caliber: 0.402 in
Bullet Weight: 410.0 gr
Bullet Length: 1.300 in
Muzzle Velocity: 1400.0 ft/s
Barrel Twist: 20.0 in
Temperature: 59.0 °F Pressure: 29.92 in Hg

Output Data
Stability: 1.639

Last edited:
Last edited:
I sure hope the weight claims are close. A MR type rifle in 40 or 45 at under 7lbs sure sounds like a good combination. Not so much for the pounding of upper end loads but for mid level conical loads it would be sweet.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/dream-gun.30823/Over three years ago i had a 40 cal built. It isnt legal here to hunt with either . But a 40 with a 1:16 is a good match for sabotless like the Parker 300 gr i tried and even a 400 gr lead conical.
probably the prettiest gun Jeff ever built 😀

so the itch for a fast twist 40 cal was scratched a long time ago.

i am back more into 45 fast twist traditional guns like the Volunteer or Gibbs.

Back