Barnes Bullets and the Savage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHunter

Reaction score
New 10ML-II on the way (stainless/laminate), and I'm starting to think about loads...

I am REALLY partial toward the Barnes products, but the Spit-Fire won't shoot worth a damn in my Encore. Is it worth a try in the Savage, or would I have better success with the Expander? Would you guys recommend either the 245/250 or 285/300 in this gun?

Any pet loads with these projectiles, or with the Shockwaves? I've got a batch of bonded 250's and 300's I'm itching to try.

HokieHunter said:
I am REALLY partial toward the Barnes products, Is it worth a try in the Savage, or would I have better success with the Expander?
Because of the boattail on the Spitfire, you'll be stuck with using only the sabot that comes with it. If it loads and shoots good, you're in luck. If not, then you're outta luck!

Any pet loads with these projectiles, or with the Shockwaves? I've got a batch of bonded 250's and 300's I'm itching to try.

The Savage book load of VV N110 42.0 grs. and the 250 gr. Shockwave/SST is a great load to start out with!

40 to 45 gr of IMR-4759 w/250 gr. SST/TC works pretty good too, just remember to let the barrel cool between shots. If it's lukewarm to the touch, it MAY be too warm..... Depending on ambient temps and your load, it could take as much as 15-20 minutes between shots.

Blue-Dot-37.5

If you like Barnes so much you'll be better off staying with the 250 or 300gr. MZ. Much better accuracy than the Spitfire. :) I like the Hornady SST/ Shockwave better myself. I think the bonded version ought to be even better. :wink:

I just recently shot the 285 grain spitfire out of my new Savage. I shot the best groups I have ever shot with a muzzleloader with 44 grain 4759 and Barnes bullet .5 inches at 100 yards, 2.5 inches at 200 yards with approximately 5 inches of drop from 100 to 200 yards.

With the supplied sabot, and fouled barrel it became quite hard to seat the bullets. :oops:

The 245's are the next bullet I want to try. When I get to shoot them I will post results.

dwhunter said:
If you like Barnes so much you'll be better off staying with the 250 or 300gr. MZ. Much better accuracy than the Spitfire.

For some. But in my Savage, the 245 Spitfire has been outstanding with accuracy exceeding the Expander. I'll do more experimenting with it and the 285 grain version later, but the 245 was my bullet of choice this deer season and it performed flawlessly.

HokieHunter said:
New 10ML-II on the way (stainless/laminate), and I'm starting to think about loads...

I am REALLY partial toward the Barnes products, but the Spit-Fire won't shoot worth a damn in my Encore. Is it worth a try in the Savage, or would I have better success with the Expander? Would you guys recommend either the 245/250 or 285/300 in this gun?

What kind of critter will you be hunting and at what distances. I believe the 10ml was built around 300 grain bullets, mine seems to shoot best with 300 grain mz.

HokieHunter said:

My HB likes 250gr. SST/Shockwave with 43gr. of N110
Also 43gr 4759 with same bullet.

Savage#2 likes 42 gr N110 with same so far. I haven't done as much testing with this gun yet.

Boy, its hard to beat the Barnes original 458 semi spitzer in 300 grain with an orange sabot.
Ken

Lots of people have recommended the Barnes original .458 with orange MMP sabots. I'm intrigued...I'll have to order some. AS SOON AS SOMEONE HAS THEM IN STOCK!!

I'd love to know what's going on at Barnes.

245 Spit-Fire

HokieHunter said:
Boy, I'd love it if the 245 Spit-Fire shot that well in my Savage. We'll see!
HokieHunter you can get them cheaper from the barnes Web site!

42gr N-110 and a 250gr Barnes Expander or a 250gr SST/Shockwave is hard to beat.

dwhunter said:
IndianaHunter said:
I've had good groups with the 250 MZ and 42 grains of N-110...

What sabot...?

I'VE been using an HPH-12 MMP... That load shoots GREAT in two 10ML-IIs.. Getting good velocity too...2320-2340fps...

Back