Bear Creek Ballistics 280 gr. bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 275gr bullet is very long for the harvester light blue sabot. The petals are not long enough to offer good support. We really need a sabot with petals long enough to go slightly past the transition from bearing surface to ogive for best support and the bullet really does better with 50% or more bearing surface for its length.

Plus none of the 45x40 sabots were really made for bullet over 200gr. PR uses the MMP for his soft lead bullets upto 260gr. Those bullets obturate more in the sabot at ignition. They are not as hard on the sabot. Same kinda thing happens when shooting a cup/core and swap to a solid copper. Even though the cup/core shot fine the same weight solid copper is more temperamental when pushing the performance threshold.
Thank ya kindly for takin the time to do the great job you did explaining all that in a way that I can understand & apply to my sabot/bullet choices. I enjoy & appreciate learning all this & in the process bring my ML knowledge & experience up to current rapidly evolving levels. Thanks for all you do in here.

Good example with the 250gr Fury. Now try to get the 240gr Cutting Edge to shoot with the same load.....Bet you cant :p That bullet munches sabots.

IF i was going to try a 40cal 275gr Fury it would be knurled and then you might need to use the light blue crushrib. First i would contact Dino and get the OAL, ogive length and bearing surface length. You also might need to drop down to a slightly slower powder like Reloder7.
Great info & insight . TY
I will talk to Dennis about it when I have the funds avail to actually buy what will work for my application. He was just awesome to talk to & do business with & very helpful. Mtn Monkey turned me on to Fury bullets & I'll be a fan & shooter of fury bullets the rest of my shooting days. There are numerous fury bullets I really want to try out.
I hear no talk of anyone using hollow base jacketed land riders. When I bought Parker Bullets to try out in my Paramount ( I don't have a SML YET ) I got some 310gr Match Hunter hollow base bullets that I hope will do well in the 1:22 barrel & bumped up to .4525 behind 105gr BH 209. I'm hoping that will be my go to LR.45 bullet for my Paramount. I have high hopes on Parker 270gr .45 EMax billet as well.
I'm goin to do a good bit of experimenting with what bullet types & weights shoot 1moa or less at sup mag charges. I do not want to lower the charge to get a bullet to shoot to my expectations. My pursuit is to find a bullet that shoots to my expectations at what my gun is capable of shooting. Pushing the envelope & thinking outside the box is my nature. I've come to embrace it but nowadays I try diligently to keep things within intelligent fairly responsible parameters. Thanks for everything

Great info & insight . TY
I will talk to Dennis about it when I have the funds avail to actually buy what will work for my application. He was just awesome to talk to & do business with & very helpful. Mtn Monkey turned me on to Fury bullets & I'll be a fan & shooter of fury bullets the rest of my shooting days. There are numerous fury bullets I really want to try out.
I hear no talk of anyone using hollow base jacketed land riders. When I bought Parker Bullets to try out in my Paramount ( I don't have a SML YET ) I got some 310gr Match Hunter hollow base bullets that I hope will do well in the 1:22 barrel & bumped up to .4525 behind 105gr BH 209. I'm hoping that will be my go to LR.45 bullet for my Paramount. I have high hopes on Parker 270gr .45 EMax billet as well.
I'm goin to do a good bit of experimenting with what bullet types & weights shoot 1moa or less at sup mag charges. I do not want to lower the charge to get a bullet to shoot to my expectations. My pursuit is to find a bullet that shoots to my expectations at what my gun is capable of shooting. Pushing the envelope & thinking outside the box is my nature. I've come to embrace it but nowadays I try diligently to keep things within intelligent fairly responsible parameters. Thanks for everything
Good thinkin buddy . No point in gettin all cramped up in there.....

Id say a bit and maybe not quite as efficent ?? IDK time will tell . Powder speed is really the biggest factor i see to really keep an eye on . Pressures build much quicker . For a 45 most will add a bit more . A 40 may require a powder change to stay safe climbing the velocity ladder . This is how it looks to me anyways especially with a little heavier bullets . I found a guy that will be doing traces for me . Dam good idea i think !!! Alot in print but i wanna KNOW . With bh209 i really dont foresee Any issues regarding pressures . SML is another story...... At the price of bh209 once i develop my loads i will be pretty well done with hunting loads . I Definately wont sit and continue to punch paper with it . I will develop sml loads to duplicate their preformance for practice . After that , Lets Party !!! Lol !!! A little exploration is in order !!!
I REALLY wish Bear Creek offered a 280gr or so in a 40cal . I believe id start dancing around !!! With bh209 that would be a LOAD !!!!
ABSOFREAKINLUTELY AWESOME! And YES - Inquiring minds always WANT TO KNOW! LOL And Thanks for sharing your knowledge & exp. I can say personally that things like this are an amazing source to progress my education with just how far & incredible the ML world has come. I'm just amazed & enthralled & ecstatic with learning things like this. And I'm truly fascinated with applying what I'm learning to the direction I want to go with my ML & eventually SML shooting. THERAPY LIKE " ALMOST " NO OTHER

Latest posts

Back