Best 10x Binocs for around $100

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been trying to bring you out of your pharmacological shell. It has worked, as now I see you own both a muzzleloader and a scope. :drinkers:

Searching for the proper trophy for your "best dressed award" has not been easy.

I thought I read somewhere that the Windrivers were made in Japan... think it was at BearBasin.

Two guys whose opinions you respect disagreeing about what is best! What to do?

Here is the situation... mainly bean and cornfield hunting, already have a 7x50 Bushnell. They are big, heavy, cheap, and over 10 years old, not waterproof, but have been adequate.

I have been set on getting the Legends 10x42 roof prism... hoping to find for around $200. No such luck as yet... I can spend up to $200, but don't really want to though. Maybe I should get 2 pairs... a 10x20 or 30 something and the 8x42.

Main aim was to reduce the bulk, reducing weight would be fine, but bulk was the main thing along with increasing magnification.

Right now I am confused :? I like the reduced size and price of the Mesa 8x42 but I like the mag and price of the legend 10x50. Though clarity is better than mag sometimes... my Sightron SII 1.5x6 is clearer than my Burris FFII... I see the target better on high mag with the SII.

flatland hunter said:
I thought I read somewhere that the Windrivers were made in Japan... think it was at BearBasin.

Two guys whose opinions you respect disagreeing about what is best! What to do?

It might look that way, but it is really isn't. You can't go wrong with either. Do you want 10X or 8X? Either way sounds like a VERY nice step up from what you have been working with.

There really is no "best," it is all personal preference after a certain point. Many binoc / scopes will do, and have done a great job.

Chuck and I half-hearted debate a few things, but it is hardly a strong or vitriolic one. If your goal is reducing bulk, well-- the same Bushnell 10 x 50 porro unit that is so good optically is quite bulky, as are all porros compared to roof prism units. Bulk or significantly more dollars for equivalent roof prism units is the compromise.

No right or wrong here, just many good choices.

Robbie, that prob. means you cant lose with either! I would base my decision on the chance you will need rain guard or not???

I have the 10x Mesa's... I say they are EXCELLENT and marked 100% Waterproof..

I have no problem recommending them.. I love em and I really agonized over paying $200 for bino's but Im glad I did..

RW and I will get to compare in Wyoming later next month.. :goodman:

I am not in a hurry... I think I will wait on yours and Randy's observations after the cantelope hunt you are going on... or is that antelope? Either hunt would be interesting!!

RandyWakeman said:
Doohan specializes in pumpkins. :shock:
I'm growing a bunch of them targets.
smily323.gif

May have found a pair of 8x42 Legends for less than cost of most retail... around $75.

Found 8x42 Mesa's for about $130, is it worth going for the Mesa over getting the Legend with Rainguard?

Fogging up is more of a problem in IL than rain... though it has rained the last couple of years during one of the 3 gun season's. Binocs fog up if you look through them to long in cold weather.

Found 8x42 Mesa's for about $130, is it worth going for the Mesa over getting the Legend with Rainguard?

That's your call. I don't hunt with a single scope/binocular that uses any type of Rain-anything! Never have.

flatland hunter said:
Fogging up is more of a problem in IL than rain... though it has rained the last couple of years during one of the 3 gun season's. Binocs fog up if you look through them to long.

I think you have answered your own question here. :wink:

RainGuard works well, and does not inhibit light transfer-- it increases it.

flatland hunter said:
I am not in a hurry... I think I will wait on yours and Randy's observations after the cantelope hunt you are going on... or is that antelope? Either hunt would be interesting!!

Saw no muskmellons-- but did compare the Bushell Porro 10 x 50 vs. Leupold Wind River Mesa. The Leupold has a small, but decidely better image. It also cost more money.

The guides thought they both completely sucked. :shock:

RandyWakeman said:
flatland hunter said:

Saw no muskmellons-- but did compare the Bushell Porro 10 x 50 vs. Leupold Wind River Mesa. The Leupold has a small, but decidely better image. It also cost more money.

The guides thought they both completely sucked. :shock:

So your Guides were Blind. :?

No, they were just correct insofar as what to use if your living was made looking through binoculars.

The guides thought they both completely sucked.

Well I'm sure NEITHER do! I KNOW the Wind Rivers don't! At any rate...not the best attitude to have with two paying customers stuff!

Neither compare well with Swarovski or Kahles ... not even close!

They were nice... only got their real opinion after some discussion.

Both are adequate for the hunter... cannon fodder for a guide that lives with the things pasted to their forehead.

Both are adequate for the hunter... cannon fodder for a guide that lives with the things pasted to their forehead.

Depends on the guide! Guess what binocular MY guide used on my pronghorn hunt? Leupold Wind River 8-42s. The guides on the last elk/mule deer guided hunt I went on used Leupold Wind Rivers as well. The guides on be PREVIOUS hunt almost all the guides used Zeiss 10X40 classics.

Of course I mostly use Swarovski 8X42s.... :wink:

Leica 8X 42mm BR Black Ultravid $1645

Minox BD 8.5X 42mm BR w/ASPH $659

Kahles 8X 42mm Dark Gray (RA/CF) $749

Zeiss 8X 40mm Conquest MC P* Rubber Armored $899

Swarovski 10X 42mm B Forest Green (Armor Coated) $1259

------------------------- :shock: :?

Latest posts

Back