Bh-209 and White U-Mag

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
(sorry about the length)

Well I finally got time to do some SEMI homework. Headed to the Blues for a camping/4 wheeler trip - but I took along the the White just to shoot some BH-209. I was fairly confident I could shoot it even though I do not have a closed breech. The White as most of you know is a plunger type action.

With this action I have fired T7-2f with great results both in accuracy and velocity - pushing most anything I want to shoot out the barrel very well. I consider the .504 bore on the White and overbore and I do normally use HPH-12's, HPH-.458/50 Orange, and HPH-40/50 cal blue sabots.

When I got everything setup at the cabin - I shot shot Cheddite primers to clear the breech plug - ran a dry patch down to get the debris out. I had already decided I was going to start with 60 grains of BH, because I was somewhat concerned about possibly the blow back pushing the primer back out of the breech plug. I loaded a .452 GD in a 12 sabot and pushed it down the barrel - it went down normally but I was worred it might be loose for BH-209. The two shots attempted with this load were both slight hangfires and seemed to lack the recoil I was expecting and both impacts were very low on the target. No problem or hint of primer blow back.

Next loaded two shots of 90 grains of BH-209 and 300 grain GD's - that with the bigger bearing surface I might get a tighter seal with the HPH-12's - no so! the barrel was so clean - these bullets went down easier than the 205's. Shot both loads and again did not feel like a very powerful load. No sign of primer blowback + a very long hangfire...

Since I was not seeing any primer blowback I moved to 100 grains and change projectile and sabots. I loaded a .458/300 grain Hornady HP and a MMP .458/50 cal Orange sabot. I knew it was going to be a problem as it loaded to easy --- short hangfire and not much recoil - found the sabot at the base of the target - 50 yards down range.

Next I decided to try a .458 in a HPH-24 sabot. It was the tightest coombination that I loaded so far. That was more exciting - immediate boom and substantial recoil...

Next 100 grains of BH - .458/300 grain Hornady and a HPH 12 sabot. This sabot and bullet loaded into the White bore with what I thought was the right pressure - it was tight but not so tight I stuggled to get it down the bore. Everything went off just like thought it should - impact was in the area that I thought it might be and recoil was what I really expected. I really thought I had it figured out... loaded up the second shot - exactly the same.... Impact and recoil felt the same but this time the primer was pushed back out of the breech plug - the hammer had the empty battery cup jammed crooked on the lip of the breech plug... the primer was gone and not to be found but laying in the bottom of the reciever was a small part. I pulled he hammer back - the battery cup dropped to the floor of the receiver. I pick it out an looked at it - it really did not look bad at all, but the other small piece on the floor of the receiver really concerned me. Thought I had broke something. Pick out the small part and I am sure it was the "anvil" from the primer. I then pulled the breech plug - thinking I might have broken that... but it was still all intact. I am sure it was the anvil - so at that point I made the decision no more BH-209 in the White and if it will not work in the White it will not work safely in the Remingtons either. I did not even try the 25ACP breech plug conversion I had made for the White.

As everyone has reported the powder is clean, there is no doubt about that. But with that I will add that it is definite a progressive burning powder and it certainly smells smokeless to me before and after the shot.
Here is a picture of the White action after the shooting session. That is the cleanest it has ever been that many shots with 209 ignition.

5-23-WhiteBH209Action.jpg

Here is the target - nothing to brag about but it gives you the idea....

5-23WhiteBH209Target.jpg

Latest posts

Back