BH209 QUESTIONS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMAX

Reaction score
For you guys who have some experience with this powder...I've heard that a shot from a clean bore will have a different impact than subsequent shots...so, should I hunt with a "dirty" muzzleloader? If that is the case, I read where Toby Bridges said he went all season without cleaning his gun and had no problem getting it clean? Anyone out there who can confirm or deny the assumption that this residue doesn't seem to be too harmful to a rifle's bore, even after an extended period of time with no cleaning?...Thanks, TMAX

As an experiment I left a stainless Omega dirty from shooting BH209 for four weeks while I was out of town. When I returned I cleaned it with Hoppe's #9 and everything was fine. It seems to me that BH209 is very much like smokeless powder in that it does not leave very much fouling and it is noncorrosive.

Like most centerfire rifles, the first shot out of my Omega from a clean bore does impact away from subsequent shots. If I hunt with BH209 this year I will check my scope setting with a couple shots a few days before I hunt and then leave the bore fouled. I am not worried about not cleaning it for a week or two when shot with BH209. I would not do that with 777 or Pyrodex. JMO & my .02

THANKS FOR THE INPUT...THAT HELPS...I'LL PROBABLY DO THE SAME THING....HOPING THE WEATHER COOPERATES SOON SO I CAN BURN SOME OF THIS NEW POWDER.

I have fired 73 rounds but only cleaned it once. The first shot after cleaning went quite a bit low. The second one was on.

One of the things you will fined out about this new powder is that it makes a difference what you put in a clean barrel to prevent corrosion. Some thing will kind of gum it up if you don't clean the barrel well enough before you fire that first shot. Lee

Just wondering what kind of things you find that will gum up your barrel if you don't clean it enough.

I use CLP or Eezox as a bore protectant,,and have never encountered a problem with "gumming".

If you run a couple patches soaked with alcohol down the bore before a range session followed by a dry one,,,,you're good to go.

I have read where water based cleaners will cause gumming from the residue from BH209. This makes me wonder what happens if you hunt with a dirty bore and it rains. :?: I have not had the chance to fire the stuff yet, so I have no idea.

This makes me wonder what happens if you hunt with a dirty bore and it rains.

Really no change from what I normally do... put tape or a finger cot over the muzzle. Water in muzzleloader barrels is not good regardless of propellent.

I have been using synthetic oil and find if I don't clean it out before I shoot it gets a bit tacky and 3 shot after I start shooting. Its not really a problem don't seem to bother the groups, just a bit more difficult loading. Lee

Back