BH209 Volume/Weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulions

Reaction score
I have some BH209 on the way from Midway USA. I was wondering what everyone was getting for their volume to weight ratio. I read on the www.hpmuzzleloading.com web site that 100 gr. by volume would weigh 71 gr. and 110gr by volume should weigh 78.1 gr. Is this pretty close to what every one is using? Do you guys even bother weighing the BH209? Will it help with accuracy?

I knew I saw it some where on here.Why is their such a big difference between what Big6x6 is getting and the HPmuzzleloading site. Is it just the difference in volume scales?

Hulions said:
I knew I saw it some where on here.Why is their such a big difference between what Big6x6 is getting and the HPmuzzleloading site. Is it just the difference in volume scales?

I don't go to that site BUT....the deal is this..... Not everyone uses the same powder measure AND some tap the charge and some don't so there is NO exact volume to weight conversion. What I USE is 110gr BV/74gr BW and 120gr BV/82gr BW.

Hulions

Really do not know if it helps accuracy in a hunting rifle - if you throw your powder on site make sure you do the same by volume measure each time you throw one.

For me I weighed my loads at home and dropped them into some of Lane's shot containers... That way I did not loose any powder cutting it or off the top of the volume measure. At the price of that stuff I do not want waste any.

I check on this myself.
Lee,

Thank you for you interest and kind words about Blackhorn 209.

You can use 0.7 as a multiplier i.e. 100 volume units x .7 = 70 grains by weight.

We will work on something for side locks, but can't make any promises.

Best regards,
Don Luhr
Western Powders

Good word Lee :)

I use the Tapping method, and my TC-U-View says 100gV=71gW

And my old brass CVA says 100gV=72gW

So I go by the 72gW or .72 multiplier for all my BH209 loads.

And yes, I weigh ALL my loads...Cause I need all the help I can get at the range and in the field with my Old eyes :p :lol: :wink:

Back