BH209 vs 777

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesheba

Reaction score
Grain for grain are you guys getting the same velocity with BH209 as with TripleSeven FFG?

jesheba said:
Grain for grain are you guys getting the same velocity with BH209 as with TripleSeven FFG?

It's VERY close with 250gr bullets. For me at least..Triple Se7en has a slight edge in velocity as bullet weight goes down but as bullet weight goes over 250grs...Blackhorn 209 starts to have a real velocity advantage.

jesheba

I have very limited experiance with BH-209, but what findings I have go right along with what 6x6 indicated... except I really do not see that much difference even with a 300 grain sabot/bullet combination. Since BH is a progressive burning powder as are the smokelss center fire powders... the heavier bullets do stimulate more velocity because they are in the barrel longer and allow the BH to burn more efficiently...

I have been using it for a while now and it is very close to 777-FFF it does not get the velocity gain with light bullets [ie 200gr 40 cal that is possable with 777-FFF even so it tops 2200 with a 125 gr load and groups quite well the 300 gr bullets is where it shines in velocity.
Has any one tried the new Hornady bullet with BH? I bumped into some on sale for 7 dollars and decieded to try a few they have not been out long so dont really know much about them like what load to try in the Omega or Triumph? If they will shoot with out hang fireing with BH209?

Lee 9 said:
I have been using it for a while now and it is very close to 777-FFF it does not get the velocity gain with light bullets [ie 200gr 40 cal that is possable with 777-FFF even so it tops 2200 with a 125 gr load and groups quite well the 300 gr bullets is where it shines in velocity.
Has any one tried the new Hornady bullet with BH? I bumped into some on sale for 7 dollars and decieded to try a few they have not been out long so dont really know much about them like what load to try in the Omega or Triumph? If they will shoot with out hang fireing with BH209?

Assuming you are speaking of the 350g hornady conical; it shoots ok in my omega. Groups are reasonable using 105g BH209 and winchester primer. It also goes down the barrel similar to 300g SST low drag sabot.

Latest posts

Back