Black Powder VS Pyrodex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not attempting to start war, I want to learn, this Jim Shockley I hear about never seen it around my neck of the woods. I am reading it performs bottom scale, Actual Black Powder forget it around 200 mile round trip to get it. unless one likes paying hazmat fees on top of delivery fees.
In about three weeks I plan to test Shockley's powder against 777 and maybe black in my percussion, and i might even trade in my flint lock again and i will test it with my chronograph with the equivalent load and I will put the results here. I was gonna do this three months ago and couldn't get to the range.
Squint

Drag out a copy of the October, 2007 American Rifleman magazine. Bryce M. Towsley chronographed 100 grain and 150 grain charges of Goex(1,647)(1,839) and Swiss (1,879)(2,065) black powder and all the substitute powders that existed at that time. Pressures were also recorded.

Instruments used were the 43 PBL and the excellent Oehler 35P Chronograph.

BTW: 150 grains of Pyrodex RS gave a reading of 2,139 fps. 150 grains of 777 FFG gave a reading of 2.175 fps. So much for the 15 percent thing.

The velocities that Bryce Towsley recorded pretty much mirror the limited tests i conducted using the Oehler 35P chrono.

For the last 6 years I have used T7 in my personal percussion cap rifles. 1st with 2F, the last 3 years with 3F. The way I treat the barrels on our competition rifles, our son can shoot 80 to 100 rounds without swabbing. It takes 5 to 6 patches to come clean.
Several of our club members have seen this and now switched to Triple 7 3F and have had similar results. The only time we have had issues is a new batch of nipples that came with smaller fire holes then what we normally used. Now I resize ever nipple we purchase and no issues.
True BP is extremely expensive to acquire here, and considering how much our youth shooters go thru each year, the T7 is a winner ever time.
FYI: 7 bucks, 9 does in the freezer over the years from the same competition rifle.
How and what drill size do you use to widen the nipple? What size do they come out to .034?

Drag out a copy of the October, 2007 American Rifleman magazine. Bryce M. Towsley chronographed 100 grain and 150 grain charges of Goex(1,647)(1,839) and Swiss (1,879)(2,065) black powder and all the substitute powders that existed at that time. Pressures were also recorded.

Instruments used were the 43 PBL and the excellent Oehler 35P Chronograph.

BTW: 150 grains of Pyrodex RS gave a reading of 2,139 fps. 150 grains of 777 FFG gave a reading of 2.175 fps. So much for the 15 percent thing.

The velocities that Bryce Towsley recorded pretty much mirror the limited tests i conducted using the Oehler 35P chrono.
Thanks for the info, Those are much heavier charges then what I intend on choreographing, the only shots I took with Jim Shockley's powder was with my flintlock, and it did work but not as good as black by no means. I intend to load what I normally do for most of my paper shooting which is about 45 to 60 grains depending on what I'm using whether it's flintlock or percussion.
Squint

In about three weeks I plan to test Shockley's powder against 777 and maybe black in my percussion, and i might even trade in my flint lock again and i will test it with my chronograph with the equivalent load and I will put the results here. I was gonna do this three months ago and couldn't get to the range.
Squint
Shockley's powder is about same power as Goex. T7 will be higher velocity.

Usually you can use 3F blk to prime pan with. Specially if you are hunting during wet/high humidity. 3 F can take longer to become compromised. They you can dumped wiped n reprimed.

How and what drill size do you use to widen the nipple? What size do they come out to .034?
Nipples on my Lyman and GPR from the factory were .034.
Replacement nipples were .028 from the supplier.
Closest I had on hand was 0.036 using a micro utility drill set by hand. Tedious but works.

Back