BlackHorn 209 In Stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a container of Blackhorn 209 from Sportsman's Warehouse in Rochester NY. 48.99 to 10 oz. . I was surprised to see it was wearing a Hodgdon label. I hope it works out to be the same formula as the stuff produced by Western Powder Co. Supplies are limited to one bottle per order. One other item I bought was 2 bags of lead shot with a 2 bag limit. I haven't seen any shot in stock anywhere for months. Now if I can only find either Hodgdon Clays or Alliant Red Dot shot shell powder. Just have to keep the feelers out.

i was at trader jerrys in pounding mill (tazewell va) a few hours ago and they had 8 bottles of BH209 for $65 a pop . at 10 oz a bottle 3 bottles would be 2 oz shy of 2 lbs so a little over $200 with tax . H&Y about 10 minuets down the road i got 1 lb bottles of 777 fffg for about $42 a bottle so $84 for 2 lbs . 209 seems to be the bees knees here but way too rich for my wallet . i can swab the bore every 3 shots and put that extra money towards something else .

i was at trader jerrys in pounding mill (tazewell va) a few hours ago and they had 8 bottles of BH209 for $65 a pop . at 10 oz a bottle 3 bottles would be 2 oz shy of 2 lbs so a little over $200 with tax . H&Y about 10 minuets down the road i got 1 lb bottles of 777 fffg for about $42 a bottle so $84 for 2 lbs . 209 seems to be the bees knees here but way too rich for my wallet . i can swab the bore every 3 shots and put that extra money towards something else .
Yea. I just bought triple seven and pyrodex so I can save my last 15 pounds of Blackhorn 😁 I have left

I am so sick of trying to track down BH 209 that I am probably done with it for a long while. Ill just shoot T7 powder and clean after a few also. I know there are issues with all shooting supplies but when it comes in stock I am usually working and it only lasts a few minutes.

I am so sick of trying to track down BH 209 that I am probably done with it for a long while. Ill just shoot T7 powder and clean after a few also. I know there are issues with all shooting supplies but when it comes in stock I am usually working and it only lasts a few minutes.
Trying to find it at the big retailers is hard to almost impossible. It shows up and people jump right on it and its sold out in minutes.
I suggest you stop at every little out of the way place and anywhere there's some kind of sporting goods, at least ask.
TRUST ME........ you might just be surprised.

I found 3000 musket caps RWS 1081,,,5.99 per 1000 back woods shop in Arkansas,,they had all basic center fire caliber ammo too,,, I've decided to stop at every place I see from now on,,,I ran into another outdoorsman on his way to Missouri shopping just as me,,, stopping at all off-road shops.

A little family owned hunting and fishing shop near me is where I found my primers and triple 7 at.

I found 3000 musket caps RWS 1081,,,5.99 per 1000 back woods shop in Arkansas,,they had all basic center fire caliber ammo too,,, I've decided to stop at every place I see from now on,,,I ran into another outdoorsman on his way to Missouri shopping just as me,,, stopping at all off-road shops.
There's two stores within probably 1/2hr from me that have all and every kind of percussion caps. One place is a little more expensive than the other but, they're not hard to find IF you stop at the little shops. Even the lone party store way out in nowhere. Stop, look and ask.

I like Blackhorn but I can't see spending 60 or more dollars for a 10 oz. bottle. There's a store in Paris, Texas I shop in once in a while. Last time I was there, about 5 months ago, I bought a pound of 2f Triple 7 for $ 32.00.

I check any little shop I come across and have not been able to find any. I am well supplied on real black powder, and T7. Have thousands of every type of primer imaginable thanks to many years of reloading and BP shooting. But I have one gun that I shoot BH 209 in that I have an excellent load developed for and would like to come across a couple bottles eventually. Worst case scenario I will hunt this Fall with the Knight MK 85 that I recently kept from a lot of guns I purchased through an estate. It is shooting T7 really well.

A (supply chain) vertical integration lesson or a get it while the gettings good lesson?….

Fool me once, shame on you ................ It didn't happen this time. I was prepared. I've also been able to help another out.

BIG DEBATE HERE AT HOME........... When I go grocery shopping, I'll buy PLENTY, actually more than enough. Wife was always a "right on time" person. Well, one thing I learned a long time ago, nothings going to get any cheaper than it is right now.

Fool me once, shame on you ................ It didn't happen this time. I was prepared. I've also been able to help another out.

BIG DEBATE HERE AT HOME........... When I go grocery shopping, I'll buy PLENTY, actually more than enough. Wife was always a "right on time" person. Well, one thing I learned a long time ago, nothings going to get any cheaper than it is right now.
I’m with you. We have enough of most things in our basement for a couple months. Shopping now is for perishable stuff and to replace what we’ve used from the basement.

My wife sees what is happening and asks me do you think we need more? She has always kept an adequate supply of necessities, food, toiletries, etc. and I tell her I want at least 6 months of nonperishables, and a year's worth wouldn't hurt.
I don't grocery shop per se, I hate going into grocery stores.
She doesn't complain about me buying ammo related stuff either. She does complain about the amount of arms I buy and build though. I tell her I probably won't loose any money on them though as when I showed her how much a S&W mod 29 in the presentation box is going for on GB and I bought mine for the outragious price of $412 back many years ago.

Latest posts

Back