BlackHorn 209 In Stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some Blackhorn recently from a generous member here and very grateful for it as it is extremely accurate in my CVA Accura PR. I have been shooting T7 2F in my newly acquired Knight MK 85 and am getting great groups from it also. Just hope the supply issues improve.

I saw that after the fact. They also still have it owned by Ramshot instead of Hodgdon. I'm assuming it is a misprint as it only comes in 10 oz and 5 lb. Also, after checking the 10 oz bottle that I have already, the part number corresponds with the 10 oz.

I saw that after the fact. They also still have it owned by Ramshot instead of Hodgdon. I'm assuming it is a misprint as it only comes in 10 oz and 5 lb. Also, after checking the 10 oz bottle that I have already, the part number corresponds with the 10 oz.
8 oz seems to be the new size:

1CC78083-D0E4-483E-B9D4-8C6DFD3AC86D.jpeg

People will continue to charge ridiculous prices for their precious BH 209 so long as muzzleloader shooters are willing to pay those ridiculous prices.

Won't be buying BH209 at any price. Got enough Triple Seven, Pyrodex, Black MZ and the Shooters stuff to last a young man a lifetime and i ain't young.

Blackhorn would have to be a lot more expensive for me not to use it (I’ve been getting it for $53). No comparison with the other options. 😁
Other than cleaning/swabing what are the differences between bh209 and 777 fffg ?

can you explain what burning progressively means please ? is it different from burning slowly ? does all BP burn slowly compared to smokeless ? how does this factor in with folks claiming/using LRP's to keep powder from being expanded before it's ignited ? i'm aware some folks think the whole LRP thing is BS . but i'm just a newbie who doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground concerning BP . so i ask questions .......

can you explain what burning progressively means please ? is it different from burning slowly ? does all BP burn slowly compared to smokeless ? how does this factor in with folks claiming/using LRP's to keep powder from being expanded before it's ignited ? i'm aware some folks think the whole LRP thing is BS . but i'm just a newbie who doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground concerning BP . so i ask questions .......
Here's a graph that indicates the burn rates (pressure) for some of the different propellants. Honestly, it would be nice if someone could do this test over and update it.
The burn rate (speed) is controlled by either something physical or chemical. Generally the propellant is made wet with a chemical to control the rate of burn and then dried.

Pressure trace comparisons.JPG

Here's other examples you might find useful or interesting

chart_a.png

chart_b.png

Biggest benefits of Blackhorn to me are that it’s way cleaner and basically non-corrosive (at least in my climate). I can hunt with a fouled bore (my preference) and leave the rifle loaded for months with no corrosion. You can shoot dozens of rounds with no need at all to clean or swab. There is a very slight layer of fouling but absolutely a different universe from the other subs. If it weren’t for the ridiculous price, I really don’t see why anyone wouldn’t shoot it in a 209 ignition rifle.

From the charts I've seen, BH 209 gives a bit higher velocity than 777. But for deer hunters and especially stand hunters, I'm not sure that makes much difference. If the price were less, I'd shoot BH 209. It is nice not to swab between shots. I couldn't see much difference in accuracy. 777 shoots fine in my rifle out to 200 m. For elk, I want as much velocity as I can get, so it is either 777 or BH 209. I've never had a misfire using #11 caps and 777, although a few hang-fires when really cold. I've had a misfire using BH 209 and 209 primers, again when cold. Critical to keep your breechplug clean when shooting BH 209. Clean 777 with Dawn and hot water. Clean BH 209 with Hoppes, just like your centerfire. I swab between each shot with 777. Just lick a patch and run it down and back a few times. It helps cool the barrel, and makes your range session last longer.

Here's a graph that indicates the burn rates (pressure) for some of the different propellants. Honestly, it would be nice if someone could do this test over and update it.
The burn rate (speed) is controlled by either something physical or chemical. Generally the propellant is made wet with a chemical to control the rate of burn and then dried.

View attachment 21871

Here's other examples you might find useful or interesting

View attachment 21872

View attachment 21873
thanks for the info . i think for my purposes i wouldn't tell any difference between bh209 and the 777 fffg i already have , other than having to clean/swab after every few shots . it took a bit of effort to get the 10 year plus crud ring (from 777 pellets) of of the old optima but i'm thinking the CR from several to a dozen or so fresh fffg loads won't take as much effort .
thanks again , jeff

Back