Blackhorn Demise -- 777 Crud Ring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Following the conventional wisdom I have limited my use of 209 primers to Federals or CCI mags. I typically use a 120gr charge of BH on top of the primers.

Yeah I can't afford blackhorn with the bottles down to 8oz now. Last two seasons I was running low and then can't find it anywhere.

2023 may be 777 for me. Always in stock, 1 lb for $40!

Just going to figure out how to cope with a crud ring. I shot 777 in 2019 for my first MZ deer and I remember having to swab every three at the range.

Tom

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find any primers so I changed my breech plug to the northwest plug for my CVA Optima V2 pistol. It takes musket caps. I can get those no problem.

Article in the latest Muzzleloader Magazine about making your own percussion caps. Wonder how reliable they are?

A few years ago after muzzleloader season ended walmart had 6-10 oz bottles of BH on clearance I bought 2 on them at $19 per bottle, next time I went in the other 4 were marked down to $12 per bottle, and I picked up the rest. I was really mad I hadn't waited until they dropped down further. Wishing I could pay that $19 per bottle again. Hopefully I have enough left to make it until it's available again.

Mike

Blackhorn is unavailable for purchase.

Shooting is fun. To continue enjoy shooting, one must burn powder other than Blackhorn. One then, will relearn pre-Blackhorn techniques.

Ignition using W209 primers creates quite the crud ring. Using muzzle loader primers reduces the crud ring. Using small rifle primers reduces the crud ring. Using large pistol primers reduces the crud ring. The reduced crud ring allows one to reload, just like when one could burn Blackhorn. However, shooting without swabbing, between loading, doesn't seem to be as accurate as when one swab. For accuracy, one probably should swab between shots.

Final clean up seems to be easier when burning 777, than when burning Blackhorn.

Fun shooting

Load = 265g Fury STB, two vegetable fiber wad, 81 weighed grain 777, large pistol primer. Range = 319 yard.

First shot

Second shot

Third shot

IMG_5453.JPG
Why do you use 2 veggie wads instead of 1?

Because it seems like the two vegetable wads would better seal than one wad, against the pressure of igniting powder before the bullet obturates the bore.

Plastic wads seem to make a better seal too.

It depends on mood as to whether two vegetable wads are used.

Latest posts

Back