Blackhorn has went up again.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who knows what Hornady is about. My opinion its money n lots of it. Movie Josey Wales Fletcher said to the politic don't pizz down my back n tell me its raining ! They used to make it for $29 per 10 oz. Only thing that has went up is shipping & a bit of inflation. Not no extra $60, just a rip off. I can shoot lots of $20 a can powder to kill my game with.

And...personnel costs. I can't hire enough groundskeepers here at the golf course anymore. In two years time the hourly rate has had to go up 20% -30% and everyone applying wants $20 an hour. I have two open positions, full time with unbelievable benefits, that I can't fill.

Not justifying the increased costs in BH209 at all but this also factors into it.

Sorry to say but the price of BH isn't going down. If supply chain issues were the problem there's been plenty of time to fix that. I believe manufacturers have greatly overstated this issue and used it as an excuse to restrict production to force prices up. Sorry to say but I don't trust corporations who only care about profit. I hope forum members don't view this as political because it isn't meant to be. Corporate bean counters crunch the numbers and know that the price increases more than make up for the loss of customers from a lower price.

Just got my CVA scout back from Hankins getting ready to start playing with it any suggestions on powder and bullets for deer
4198 start at 56 gr n work up. You can use HB45/40 with Fury bullets or SST's . Bore riders i have not tried much, but the Barnes .451 200 gr xpb tumbled at my starting load.

Hmmm…$1.50 bullet atop a $2.00 charge of BH powder ….ignited with a 13 cent primer…that is “muzzleloading revolutionized”.

We need to make Blackhorn the “Budlight” of powders.
At $3.63 a pop, its still a whole lot cheaper than some centerfires and saboted shotgun rounds. I'm not worried: I have enough 209 and T7 3f to last the rest of my shooting days. Primers too. I have enough smokeless for the Patriot to keep me busy too.

At $3.63 a pop, its still a whole lot cheaper than some centerfires and saboted shotgun rounds. I'm not worried: I have enough 209 and T7 3f to last the rest of my shooting days. Primers too. I have enough smokeless for the Patriot to keep me busy too.
I can afford the powder…but at some price point though, my self respect takes a hit for “bending over” to a major gouging especially when T7 works for me as well…
All manner of shooting has become so much more expensive to do as well as eating, driving or hiring anyone to do anything.
( I too have my “what’s left of” lifetime supply of primers/caps and powder…)

Retailers can charge whatever they want. Hodgdon lists it for $79.99 on their sight. Not sure what Hodgdon charged a year ago. The retailers are just as much to blame. Obviously everything is going up including all things ML related. I am not into boycotting but I will shoot IMR4198 before I shoot H4198. I know smokeless has gone up but I believe percentage wise BH has everyone beat by an Amtrack Joe mile.

If anyone is in the Keysville Va area which is about 70 miles SW of Richmond, I have about 1/2 a can of Blackhorn that I’ll give to you. My two muzzle loaders hate it.

I have two 10oz jars marked $42something each from 7-8 years ago (roughly).
That was expensive back then.

Recently I was at the LGS and they had 4350 for $10 more a jar than their other powders. I don't recall that when I bought it. Their Blackhorn was 82 I think.

Back