Blackhorn has went up again.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad people didn't pay attention after the first time. Most have forgot about that. Those that did pay attention are now called "hoarders".
Sometimes the games we like to play change monetarily, and we either continue to play, find something different, or just quit. It's no secret that everything has increased in price and will continue, with those of us on a fixed income just become poorer.

There will be some, myself included, who will continue to look for "deals" on the price of BH209. I purchased two 10oz bottles the other day for $64.95 from a small sports shop. Yes, that's higher than pre-covid, but what isn't? $65 is a hell of a lot cheaper than $85+, AND IT WAS FOR 10oz BOTTLES instead of 8oz.

What really cracks me up is, people will complain about the price of something, then stop and buy a $8-$10 cup of coffee ??????

Fool me once................... don't let that happen again, regardless of the product you like. When Hodgdon can't make their money on BH209, where will they look next? When sales of actual black powder doubles or triples, where do you think that price will go? Supply & demand. Pay attention!

Why has BH209 gone up in price so much, but T7 and Pyrodex have not?

I myself bought 7 jugs of pyrodex because it was cheap about 22 bucks. I have a pound of goex from 3 years ago. Stuff was hard to come by then can’t imagine now. I don’t like paying hazmat.

I have used pyrodex a few times and saw good accuracy and repeatability. I don’t shoot the muzzle loaders often enough but when I do I carry the gear to swab between shots. I don’t mind the smell and smoke of any of them really. It is what I miss about shooting bp.. that big ol smoke cloud that has to clear before I check the target.

I also clean the muzzle loader after I get home at the very least I run warm water down it to dissolve the salts then it’s cleaned thoroughly a few hours after that.

This is just me doing my thing the way I do it. I’m cheap and as stated above I didn’t even want to spend the money on a special breach plug.

I can see that it is extremely popular that must be why they are asking high dollar for the stuff.

That said the price is just wrong I feel bad for the guys who like the stuff I feel like your being taken advantage of. My best advice is boycott them until they come to their senses. I mean it may not be what your used to but there are other options. I know it’s kinda like changing your brand of cigarettes. Lol remember normal is just a definition of what your used to. If you get used to the other products well that will be your new normal. Unless you want that new normal to be paying through the nose for bh.
My last clearance purchase of BH was $23/10 ounce jar, from Wally World. I think I bought 6 of them at that price.
I encourage others to look for the same. But you drive your truck, and I drive mine.
My opinion is when it makes it the clearance rack, we've all voted with our wallets.

My last clearance purchase of BH was $23/10 ounce jar, from Wally World. I think I bought 6 of them at that price.
I encourage others to look for the same. But you drive your truck, and I drive mine.
My opinion is when it makes it the clearance rack, we've all voted with our wallets.
Well said sir

Ordered 4 8 ounce containers of BH209 from Cabela’s. I have a Cabela’s/Capital One credit card and used up my points to offset the cost. Will have 10 containers to last awhile. Have 1 pound of H4198 but will be looking for more. Woodman Arms Patriot on order and will sight in with both powders. Ordered beginning of March and they are working on beginning of January. Will be awhile.

I went into local hardware and archery shop. Went in to get a few tenpoint bolts for new crossbow. Went by muzzleloader area. 1 can of blackhorn 10oz can. 63.00. That was last yrs prices . And a 8 oz can. I didnt need it. But now i have enough to do me the rest of my life. Since i started shooting blackhorn. I havent shot a can up yet. I have used 1/2 can so far.

Well all of the propellants have gone up quite a bit in cost. I was at Bass Pro the other day and I was shocked at how much the cost had gone up for even the modern stuff too. Granted they are more expensive than some other places but it is eye opening. Some of that modern smokeless stuff was priced right up there with BH now too. At this rate shooting may wind up being a rich man’s pastime.

BH209, who? I will stick with my N110. $45, I think, for a lb. I can't remember the price, the last time I went to my LGS, l was going to buy some powder but I got sidetracked and bought my Glock 30. I got 3lbs plus a slightly used bottle. Usually my loads are around 35gr. So I should be good for awhile. I'm sure I will pick up a lb or 2 when I go back.

I suggest we only buy it on clearance after the season ends. Usually a significant price reduction then.
But don't buy it all, leave some for other folk. Get enough, but not too much.
I haven’t seen it on clearance since before Covid. Everything that is produced, whenever they make another run, is bought up. Then, it’s weeks to months until it is available again. So doubt there will be a clearance anytime this year. I bought a couple bottles at $60/ea to make it thru last season and won’t buy more when this runs out.

Ya made me go look LOL

View attachment 36042

south park blame canada GIF by Paramount Movies

Latest posts

Back