Breech Plug - Teflon Tape of Grease?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like teflon tape on my Knight plugs. Getting grease out when cleaning is too much of a mess. The other thing is if you dont fire out a load and need to remove a charge thru the breech the powder sticks to the lube like mad.

So if you are going to use a lube instead.....just use a lighter oil and not a grease. On a CVA QRBP you dont want to use tape at all. A very light coat of good synthetic oil is fine.

Tape for me on a knight long range hunter and T/C Omega

So much cleaner and have never had one stick on me.

But never overtighten a plug. Turn it until it stops and quit. Don’t apply excess pressure

Its a QRBP you install and remove by hand. Trying to seat a QRBP by hand with tape on it wont be a good idea.

I suppose that makes sense... thank you!

I have two Optima V2 pistols (long story), and I STILL haven’t shot either one! I just sit at my desk, opening/closing them, and screwing the QRBPs in and out, telling myself how cool they are! 🤓

The brilliant are easily amused🤠

Teflon tape. The breech plug comes out a lot easier.

Tape, it is so easy to clean up, and it works. When shooting 777 apply a little light oil on top; makes it easy to remove plug from rifle. Don't use tape on QRBP.
Reasoning not to use tape on a QRBP?

Reasoning not to use tape on a QRBP?

Its a QRBP you install and remove by hand. Trying to seat a QRBP by hand with tape on it wont be a good idea.

I tried putting tape on a CVA breech plug. Couldn't get the plug to screw in more than half way.
Maybe I didn't put the tape on correctly?

It seems to me that the threads on CVA’s QRBP appear pretty fine. That’s the first thing that jumped out at me, when I saw one- how fine the threads are, vs. my Omega. I haven’t measured the pitch (or even compared them side by side), but that was my first impression...

It appears that maybe the tolerances are too tight? I know I can wrap a couple layers of tape on my Omega plug, and thread it right in. Using the wrench, you’d hardly know the tape was there!

I have been using tape currently on our CVA Omegas with the QRBP without problem.

I don't know how much tape others use, but I start the wrap at the muzzle end with just a bit of overlap on the sealing surface with one layer, then wrap towards the breech end overlapping the tape by half the width. I use enough tension on the tape for it to conform to the threads without over stretching/tearing. I don't have any problem with the plug seating in the proper position, and screws out with minimal effort after shooting.

Previously used teflon pipe joint compound, worked well but was messier to clean up. I'm having no issue with the tape on the QRBP.

Please inform me if there are other reasons for not using tape on these QRBPs.

Latest posts

Back