Breech Plug - Teflon Tape of Grease?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hoping this was dated - but believe me it was way back there!!!

Breech-Plug-Sealing.jpg

I actually started using (Teflon tape) it way back about 1971 on sidelock nipples. The tape was new to the world but the US Navy was an early user and thanks to them, I had some. Of course, I never invented Teflon or Teflon tape but it's fun to state that. I do believe I was the first to use it on muzzleloaders and the few old timers I knew thought I was nutz for trying it. They may well have been right, but it worked very well then. Covering the threads on a nipple was a bit difficult but it didn't take much tape. ;)

“When removing the plug if some strings of teflon are in the threads a small brush gets them right out”

That’s what a toothbrush is for 😁
Harbor Freight................. Best investment you can make for threads. They are in the auto section.

Attachments

• IMG_1395.JPG
    IMG_1395.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 1
I've been using a teflon lube from a tube, originally bought for the prop. shaft "grease" for my boat motor. I lost it once, and bought another, now I have enough for two lifetimes. It wipes off easily, and I have never experienced a stuck breech on four TC's. Each has a different styled plug... I don't have anything against thread tape, and I definitely have plenty for other applications, but the grease has been flawless for my routine.

Tape….across the board. One tiny drop of very thin oil on the threads on opposing sides. QRBP’s don’t really require it but I’ve done in without problem. Tape stretched very thin…no overlap, few drops of thin oil. Anytime you use grease or anti seize it turns into a mess. Also anytime I’m in the field I carry the CVA QRBP tool in my pocket. Even with no tape on the plug. Just because you never know what will happen.

Greg

I used to use pink teflon tape for years on my muzzleloaders. Now I only use a touch of grease. If you only tighten the plug finger tight you'll never have a problem removing it.

Latest posts

Back