Bullets to bring an elk down.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerec_cat

Reaction score
Need to know what bullets would be recommended for New Mexico elk. NO restrictions in our state, so I will use sabots. What grain, brand, and how much powder is recommended. I will use my 50 cal encore. Thanks in andvance.

How about a 300 gr Bonded SST or 300 gr Barnes Expander ?

One of those over 100-110gr of 777 FFG should do a good job.

3 pyro pellets would also work depending on how recoil sensative you are.

--- Anyone else have a favorite?

Shots at elk can be from 10yds to as far as you can shoot. For powder I'd want all the horsepower I could get so I'd use 3-pellet 150gr loads, either Pyrodex or Triple Se7en.

Bullets.... I'd want the flattest shooting bullet that will do the job. That will be a bullet in the 250gr range and that's what I'd try FIRST! I'd go with the 250gr Barnes TMZ and/or the 245gr Barnes Spitfire and try those first. If either one of those will shoot with a 3-pellet load I'd quit right there. Either of those bullets would do a great job on an elk and be plenty flat shooting as well. I'd zero either of those 3.0 inches high at 100yds and you'll be dead on at 172yds and you'll be about 3 inches low at 200yds. I'd want a 3.0 inch or better group at 200yds personally. If those DON'T shoot good enough for you, try a 300gr SST/Shockwave/290gr Barnes TMZ/285gr Barnes Spitfire again with your 3-pellet load. Zero either of those 3.0 inches high at 100yds and you'll be about dead on at 156yds and 3.0 inches low at about 182yds.

That's EXACTLY what I'd try.

Latest posts

Back