Buying a new truck...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which truck would YOU buy?

• Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4X4 Crewcab LTZ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nissan Titan 4X4 LE Crewcab

• Toyota Tundra 4X4 Crewmax Limited

• Total voters

big6x6

Reaction score
is NERVE RACKING! :?

Without saying more for now so I don't prejudice anyone, it's down to three choices. Pick your choice and tell me WHY or at least why NOT the other two.

THANKS! :D

Chuck to perfectly honest with you, I had to make the choice from the information I have right now... I would go with the Chev - only because I do not know emough about the other two....

The 2 guys I know that have the Nissan claim they are very hard on gas, but both have a lead foot.

I picked Toyota...

I was just looking them over this past weekend.. They are very nice. I believe the Nissan and Toyota have a better powertrain than the domestic brands. I also think they are a bit better made.

As you know I currently drive a Silverado and it has alot of wind noise when the temps drop and I feel it is a bit underpowered. I think I have the 5.3.... but it's getting old also ...

The Toyota is considered a heavy 1/2 ton as is plus you already have a NISSAN in the garage..

BTW... I just picked up an '07 Silverado leftover yesterday... 8)

I picked Chevy only because the two full size Chevies I have had in the past were great trucks. The new Tundras are nice too, though. I'm no expert, but you asked us to pick one so I did :) Good luck and have fun.

Chevy all the way. I wouldn't buy either foriegn truck even though they are ASSEMBLED.in the US. My personal choice would be the GMC Sierra SLT dressed the same as the Chevy.

Ford and Chevy are slated to come out with half ton trucks with smaller v-8 diesel motors, were hearing 30mpg predictions. If it's an interest, can you hold out one more year?

That being said it's a hard choice and should be made based first on the trucks primary use. They cost alot if it's mostly a daily driver. Many of us, me included drive much more than we need.

Toyota or Chevy

I've seen pic's of a Toyota with a diesel. Honda and Nissan are also developing diesels. Ford has been rumored for the last 4-5 years to be bringing out a F150 diesel. GM has a new smaller diesel which has been in a few diesel mags already. I believe within the next couple years we will be seeing a lot more diesels. In my opinion they are way better than a gas engine.
But in keeping with the pole question I picked the Toyota. I have had several Toyota's, a few Chevy's, a few Nissans and 1 Dodge Cummins. The build quality of the Toyota's is much better than anything I have had. They hold their value better and stay "new" longer. I have a few friends with Ford's and Chevy's. They just seem to develop rattles and squeaks much faster. Also the interior quality on the Ford's and Chevy's I've seen just don't seem to be of the same quality materials.
Mike Vaccaro said:
Ford and Chevy are slated to come out with half ton trucks with smaller v-8 diesel motors, were hearing 30mpg predictions. If it's an interest, can you hold out one more year?

That being said it's a hard choice and should be made based first on the trucks primary use. They cost alot if it's mostly a daily driver. Many of us, me included drive much more than we need.

Toyota or Chevy

Why are you callin half tons trucks they are glorified cars with big trunks IMO.

I go with the Chevy because it's a proven performer.
Also, my son is a master mechanic and says the powertrains are superior to anything else he has worked on.
Besides, Chevy's, Baseball and Apple Pie - it's a no-brainer! :lol:

jaybe said:
I go with the Chevy because it's a proven performer.
Also, my son is a master mechanic and says the powertrains are superior to anything else he has worked on.
Besides, Chevy's, Baseball and Apple Pie - it's a no-brainer! :lol:

I hear you. I'll drink to that! :drinkers:

Ive had all brands and I currently have my 3rd Toyota. It's a Tundra and I must say, I never had problems with Toyotas. My sons have had other brands and it's always:

Electrical
transmissions
computer modules
transfer cases
starters
charging systems
they went through years of ANGER :twisted:

Now they are following suit and have the Toys.
Everyone should experience owning one. Proofs in the puddin'.

You are right. I find people who bad mouth the Toyota's have never tried them. They are dead reliable. Looks are, of course, a personal decision but you cannot deny the reliability of them at all. Yes GM has a 100,000 mile warranty, thats because they need it. Chrysler has the lifetime powertrain warranty for the same reason.
Spitpatch said:
Ive had all brands and I currently have my 3rd Toyota. It's a Tundra and I must say, I never had problems with Toyotas. My sons have had other brands and it's always:

Electrical
transmissions
computer modules
transfer cases
starters
charging systems
they went through years of ANGER :twisted:

Now they are following suit and have the Toys.
Everyone should experience owning one. Proofs in the puddin'.

Toyota all the way!! I have only owned Toyota's since 1972 when I bought my first car, they last and are tough vehicles. I currently own a 1993 SR5 V6 4X4, can you guess why my handle is ......? :D This truck still has the original lights all the way around, the battery is 9.5 years old, same transmission,engine,water pump,fuel pump, brakes, etc. course it just turned 92,000 miles, but they are great vehicles!!

If I bought a US made vehicle it would be the Chevy, my son is also a mechanic and likes them and owns a Silverado. He also told me the Nissan Titans have terrible gas mileage.

My son has the new Tundra with the V8 and it is a gas hog. He has complained about that since the day he got it. He says he just thought his Hemi wqa bad on gas. Other than that he likes the truck.

Myself I was raised GM and I'll probably die GM but I know there are a lot of good trucks out there.

Chuck!

I just checked Consumer Report. Stay away from the 07 Tundra. For some reason it has had some real reliability issues. For details go to Consumer reports.

They have not tackled the 08's yet.

All other years prior are TOP SHELF.

I personally would purchase the Chevrolet because I can get the GM employee discount on it. :wink:

I have always bought American but the Motor Trend magazine, the Feb 2008 issue just selected the Toyota as the truck of the year.

Toyota................I used to work for them, I now work for Chrysler. They are great trucks and the quality can't be beat. I think you might get better gas mileage over the nissan but not the gm. Suppliers that make parts for the big three and Toyota all agree that the parts specifications for Toyota are tougher than the others.

Back