Buying a new truck...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which truck would YOU buy?

• Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4X4 Crewcab LTZ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nissan Titan 4X4 LE Crewcab

• Toyota Tundra 4X4 Crewmax Limited

• Total voters
I picked Toyota because I've had great luck with Toyota vehicles, both cars and light pickups. My experiences with Chevy have been not so good even though I currently own a Silverado.

Thanks for everyones replies and opinions!

I now own and have owned a 2005 Nissan Titan LE 4X4 for some 35 months now. It has been and still IS a great truck! It had some front brake issues during the first 1000 miles which was fixed and since has been a GREAT truck. I mainly bought that truck because no-one else had the engine/transmission this one did. It would absolutely eat everyone elses lunch! Of course Chevrolet and Toyota have both increased horsepower since. Curious that Ford has the same ol tired 5.4/4-speed they had in 2005. Consumer Reports rated this truck "recommended" then but has since been removed and hasn't still isn't recommended. It seems it is more problematic than the now recommended Silverado. THAT'S the main reason I don't rush to the Nissan dealer and get another one.

The Tundra 5.7/6-speed NOW has the class-leading engine/transmission. If you don't believe it, drive it for yourself! All the research I have done also has lead me to believe that the Tundra returns as good or BETTER MPG than any of the others. Horsepower and MPG is a combination that hard to refuse. The interior of the Tundra is not that nice, about like my Nissan but it is VERY functional. Storage is EVERYWHERE! Overhead, to the left, right, hidden compartments, and a double glove box add up to class leading storage. The dash again while functional is really not organized. IMO...the Tundra is tied with Dodge for the least visually appealing of ALL the trucks. The rims SUCK! While optional rims ARE available, finding them on a truck for south of $50,000 is practically impossible.

Right now I'm leaning to the Silverado. It IS the best looking truck on the road, interior AND exterior! The LTZ trim level really has everything I want with it including XM and remote starting! The only items I really HAD to add were 20 inch rims and electric sliding rear window. Of course the Chevy has its weak points too. Storage space inside is not good at all when compared to the Titan and Tundra. Last is drivetrain. I don't know why Chevy hasn't ditched the 4-speed auto. Only Ford and Chevy keep hanging on to 4-speeds for what reason I have no idea. The 5.3 seems to be a GREAT engine and wound be a no-brainer if mated to a 5 or 6 speed. From the research I have done the Tundra and Chevy with the 5.3 offer class leading MPG. The 5.3 does NOT offer class leading performance and is only slightly better than the Ford. So that leaves the 6.0 which I like. When comparing it to my Titan, the performance seems very similar. MPG seems to be very similar which is a notch behind the Tundra and Chevy 5.3.

Of course I've driven all three and looked and each one in person and on the computer 1000 TIMES! If I were to buy today, I'd probably go with the Silverado with the 6.0. That based on the fact that GMs quality seems to have really improved, Consumer Reports recommendation, the dealer is 3 miles from my house, and I think it is the best looking truck on the road.

What do ya'll think of my "logic" or lack of? :D

I admit the GM is a nice looking truck. BUT, I really can't see them overcoming a Toyota in terms of long term reliability. I hate the JD powers awards in initial quality. Who cares! Check the reliability after 4 years. When I see cars on the side of the road I rarely see Japanese vehicles. American vehicles make up the vast majority of the vehicles I see. I really don't think it's a coincidence. I want to know what happens after the 2 years a magazine keeps their vehicles. I remember when M/T picked the new F150 as the truck of the year and it ended up being a real POS.
I drive much more than I used to. I now average about 20k a year. I know my Toyota will always start, stop and run like a new vehicle. I can't honestly say the same about the others. Like I stated earlier, many of my friends own GM's and 1 Ford, they just don't stand a chance. They lose the "new" feeling very quickly and start to feel and sound very squeaky. It's because the Americans start with cheaper parts. I know a GM small block is an awesome motor. But they surround it with substandard stuff so it loses it's "new" feeling very quickly. The motors are great but the truck falls apart around it.

big6x6 said:

I like it! Especially the part about the dealer being 3 miles from your house. That can mean a lot, at least to me anyway.

The Chevy saves gas by switching from 8 to 4 cylinders when not being taxed.

My son's new Silverado gets 25 MPG on a trip :shock: 8) :D

Nic_58 said:
big6x6 said:

I like it! Especially the part about the dealer being 3 miles from your house. That can mean a lot, at least to me anyway.

THANKS! Especially a factor since the Toyota dealer is 15 miles away and the Nissan 18 miles away!

I think all 3 trucks will efficiently harvest deer. It all really depends on the bumper placement....

Chuck, buy the one that is most accurate! 8)

Doohan said:
I think all 3 trucks will efficiently harvest deer. It all really depends on the bumper placement....

That's true but does anyone know which states have a "truck season.?" :lol: Probably PA!

big6x6 said:
Doohan said:

That's true but does anyone know which states have a "truck season.?" :lol: Probably PA!

Michigan's car/truck season runs year round. But statistically the first two weeks of November are the best hunting.

DC

I picked the Tundra because i own one and love it. I have owned chevy also. The Titan has some pretty negative reviews if you do your research, and i had a freind with one who wasnt satisfied. I do not have the newer tundra ( i have the 05 year) i have heard nothing but positive from the newer bigger tundras.

So much for logic..... :roll:

I RE-test drove a 08 Tundra today... I think it's going to be the one. I really can't tell you how much more engine it has in it than even a VortexMax 6.0 Silverado! More engine and as good or better MPG TALKS to me! :twisted: The STORAGE space inside is CRAZY! There is a place for EVERYTHING! Electric up/down AND telescopic steering wheel, 12 volts for JJ in the back, EZ tailgate, and the most room of ANY crewcab truck!

Grouse...you are gonna like this truck better than you THINK!

See what it looks like!

It's gonna be black, white, or red and I'm leaning toward black!

What about the bed big6x6? I JUST read a truck magazine at the hospital yesterday (wife had surgery). And the compared all 3 of the same trucks. Chevy came out on top, then the tundra in second. But they went to the extemes... skid pad....corner steering... 0-60 etc. They listed the major complaints on the toy and nissan were the smallish bed space. The toy did have the best h.p. and torque of the 3 tested.It was like the 10th magazine I read that day, I will "borrow" :twisted: a couple of pages from it tomorrow and re-read it.

big6x6 said:
So much for logic..... :roll:

I RE-test drove a 08 Tundra today... I think it's going to be the one. I really can't tell you how much more engine it has in it than even a VortexMax 6.0 Silverado! More engine and as good or better MPG TALKS to me! :twisted: The STORAGE space inside is CRAZY! There is a place for EVERYTHING! Electric up/down AND telescopic steering wheel, 12 volts for JJ in the back, EZ tailgate, and the most room of ANY crewcab truck!

Grouse...you are gonna like this truck better than you THINK!

See what it looks like!

It's gonna be black, white, or red and I'm leaning toward black!

SWEET!!!! I have been drooling over one at the dealership... Black and Custom Rims... they also had a sweet deal, something like $30K.. :drool:

Bedsize....
TRUE...the Tundra Crewmax DOES have the smallest bed in the class where the Silverado has the LARGEST bed in the class...really of no issue to me. Smaller bed=larger cabin!

$30.000? 4X4? Limited? The one I am looking at list for around $45,000.

No leather on the one I was looking at and most likely no gps. 0% financing is nice too... I will sign up for that all day/any day..

I like a larger cabin as well. Not only because of 4 kids, but hunting season its nice to keep all of my gear up front, other than any treestands and of course a muzzleloder in back. Do you know how the the three compare to cabin space? I am sure the Nissan is the smallest.

Back