Buying a new truck...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which truck would YOU buy?

• Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4X4 Crewcab LTZ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nissan Titan 4X4 LE Crewcab

• Toyota Tundra 4X4 Crewmax Limited

• Total voters
I like both the Chevy and Toy, but
i do like the looks of the Chevy a bit more.I like the GMC's even better. If/ when i ever buy new, i usually go with dodge because my aunt is retired form there, and thats a big saving's to me. The last new one I bought was a 2001, it listed for 34,000 and i got almost 10,000 off of the list price. So with that savings, I kind of have to overlook the mileage that they get.

18" Wheels are standard in the Toyota Chuck. The 20" rims in a GMC/Chevy rocks. Both the Chevy and GMC are alot better looking. The Toyota crewmax looks the best to me in the Toyota's. I still put the Toyota last to the three you are looking at. Nissan makes a great truck, and it has good looks.

Gotta go with the Toy. Stay strong, don't let them sway you away from the best! 8)

18" Wheels are standard in the Toyota Chuck.

Not only are they standard I can't STAND the way the 18" Tundra rims LOOK! They don't compliment the truck at all! My salemans told me they would swap for the 20s at port. He is checking into than. If they CAN'T do that, I'll go for the Silverado.

The GREAT thing is there really isn't a BAD choice between the two...

I'm not really taking a whole lot into this... I honestly would not do any of those things with any truck I owned. The bed thing was an eye opener but then again... I wouldnt be doing that! It's a 1/2 ton truck... how will I over load it?? I'm not gonna haul a skid of bricks but I might PULL a skid of bricks..

Put my Silverado on that course.. It isnt going to do any of that stuff... how long is that rear differential a limited-slip? :roll:

How did your Nissan do in those tests?? I bet poorly and you LOVE that truck!

Sorry, I would still buy a Toyota..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HzegzpTSDI

It's all propaganda..... you just have to decide which view you are watching from..

Seems the big 3 are certainly threatened by this truck... that's a fact. Chuck, I would not leat any of this stuff change you mind, to me these videos raise more questions than they answer. I have researched this a bit and it seems the anti Tundra stuff doesnt reflect on the areas where the Tundra is best. Meaning these test are made to show weakness for Toyota.

I agree that either one is a good truck. I currently own about 25 full size trucks mostly 3/4 and 1 tons. Every gm truck I have has had a new transmission between 100-150K miles, some are on their 3rd. ALL are gm or ford, my next truck will be a toyota. I believe the big 3 are asleep at the wheel and they need the pressure of Nissan/Toyota to bring a better product to the market place.

Doohan said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HzegzpTSDI

It's all propaganda..... you just have to decide which view you are watching from..

Seems the big 3 are certainly threatened by this truck... that's a fact. Chuck, I would not leat any of this stuff change you mind, to me these videos raise more questions than they answer. I have researched this a bit and it seems the anti Tundra stuff doesnt reflect on the areas where the Tundra is best. Meaning these test are made to show weakness for Toyota.

I agree that either one is a good truck. I currently own about 25 full size trucks mostly 3/4 and 1 tons. Every gm truck I have has had a new transmission between 100-150K miles, some are on their 3rd. ALL are gm or ford, my next truck will be a toyota. I believe the big 3 are asleep at the wheel and they need the pressure of Nissan/Toyota to bring a better product to the market place.

WELL SAID, JJ!!

The twist test video was interesting but it's comparing apples to oranges. Does the Toyota have a locking differential available? A locking rear will beat a limited slip every time.
Doohan said it best, the big 3 are threatened and they should be afraid. But it shouldn't be a surprise to them. This has been coming on for a long time. Wait until Toyota puts a diesel in there. I've seen the pictures! It will be all over. I wouldn't hesitate at all, the Toyota would be in my driveway.

If you go with the Tundra, ask for the option for the 2 piece drive shaft (steel and aluminum) :yeah:

I have absolutely no doubt the Toyota is a fine truck. I only lament the fact that the domestic car industry has fallen on hard times with their cars, the truck lines helped keep them afloat. If Toyota makes deep inroads into the full size truck line, and I believe they will, then unfortunately another nail goes into the domestic coffin. With legacy costs the domestics carry it will be a rough future for them. Dodge is still having real financial problems and Ford and Chevy are not much better.
The domestics need to compete but I wonder if there will be enough money to do the R&D they need or what line/model gets cut. Ever smaller product lines and names and it gets harder to spread the costs throughout.
Even NASCAR will see it in a few years I predict with Toyota inroads. Just feeling bad about it but I see no easy or painless solutions.
Still buy the best truck available for your needs whatever that is, we would all do the same with our firearms/companies.

big6x6 said:

Yep, THAT is a reliable source.. but it wouldnt bother me unless I planned to load the tailgate. I dont think you are but I guess you dont really want to be limited do you?

The perfect solution is not there... all have the +/- column and which ever truck has the most +'s would be the one I would buy.

To me, this says "something"

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/tru ... oty_winner

Honestly I got REALLY hot under the collar when I was researching some videos on youtube. I found a bunch from the guys that did the twist test you posted and the rollers going up the hill etc.. They posted a video of the automatic control system vs. the silverado. It was an absolulte LIE!

As you know, I have a 4Runner in the garage and the ACS has saved her several times already on icy roads. The ACS has been a savior and when alone I play around with it 8) It really takes the fun out of it!

In short, it works and it works darn good.

The Toyota will be re-designed in 2010. :wink:

The bed and the traction problems will go away. The motor will also be redesigned and be reliable. They will step up to the plate and make things right.

I just bought a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado with a full sized bed. It has the big V8, automatic transmission, 4 wheel drive and all the bings and whistles. I love the thing. I only get about 21 mpg in the summer and it dropped to 18 mpg this winter.

So far it has needed nothing for service other then an oil change. I only have 4000 miles on it. A very smooth driving truck, excellent acceleration, came with Wrangler Radial Tires and seems to go through the snow well, and with the 17 inch tires it sits up nice and high.

My friend drives the new Tundra Crew Cab. They are a Toyota family. All they buy are Toyotas. He loves it, but says the gas mileage sucks big time. He Rhino lined the bed and put a topper on it. A real nice looking rig. And there is a lot of room in the front, but I think the Silverado is more spacious. At least it seems that way to me. The other thing he said is, Toyota's last for ever but when they need to be fixed, you better have a good warranty or a fat wallet. His beater truck is a 1984 Toyota 4x4 truck. It has over 200,000 miles on it, on its second engine, and the box rusted in half and broke so he built a flat bed on it. He runs that as a woods truck.

I looked at Fords, Toyotas, and Chevrolets. Ford are out because the company does not stand behind their vehicles even when the problem is a design flaw. Believe me, my woods truck is an old Ford F150 4x4 that has to go back to the shop tomorrow again. Also they are gas hogs. I will never buy another Ford truck EVER!! The toyota I test drove was a nice truck without a doubt. But the gas mileage and the very stiff ride was a turn off. The Silverado has lots of room, a great ride, and good gas mileage for a truck that big. So I would put my vote to the Silverado.

Back