Carrierless 209 Breech Plug for Sidekick, Shoots Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I"ve said it before on a differant site but thanks again for your hard work and ideas on the huntsman/sidekicks they are an extremely accurate ml and my sidekick could again become one of my favorite go to"s. karl

ordered mine mon.,can"t wait to set the sidekick up.it now has a scope thats been bore sighted.I"m thinkin this will make a nice b-day presant for my son. karl

PLUG FOR NEF

Me and a few of my hunting buddies have been shooting our huntsmans and sidekicks for a few years now with a plug that I had a friend machine...see pics.

Some of you were asking about the 5/8 versus the 7/8 plug. H&R
considers the barrel with the 5/8 a "magnum" suitable for 150 gr charges.
100 for the one with the 7/8. I have personally shot probably a few hundred rounds from 5 different barrels and the one I prefer is the Hornady 250 gr SST with supplied sabot. At about 2100 fps...if I do my part, often the 3 shot groups are all touching at 100 yds. I use propellants
that I probably cant mention in this forum. Email me privately if you like at [email protected]. Note: I am not selling these...just sharing what has worked out VERY well for me. These H&R barrels are really capable of fine accuracy...sad how they screwed up their chance to market them properly.
P6160058.jpg

P6160056.jpg
P6160057.jpg

Very nice squirrelhawker. What size is the flashole in your vent liner? What type of coating is that on both ends, and does it help keep carbon sticking down?

Your right about how accurate these rifles are, my Huntsman is my favorite. It will shoot a big old conical or any saboted bullet out there very well. Mine will shoot the Hornady FPB into one hole with BH209. I have an all conical report to finish and post. With the MU plug, I can shoot slip fit conicals with BH209 no problem, not even a hint of a delayed fire.

The magnum actually started in 2004 when they introduced the Sidekick and the 26" barrels for both models, they still had 7/8" plugs that year. The 2001-2003 all had 24" barrels and 7/8" plugs. In 2005 they went to the 5/8" plugs in both the Sidekick and the Huntsman. Then about 2006 they discontinued the Huntsman (except barrel program) and the 24" barrels for the Sidekick. In 2008 they discontinued the Sidekick altogether. They were still adding Huntsman barrels through the barrel program up until a month or two ago.

Hi,
The first ones i had made were a fixed hole with a 1/32" hole or .0312"
I think the savage screws are .0315" or so. The hex is 7/16". The primer pocket is about .241" dia. and about .200" deep. The "primary" flash hole dia. is 5/32" or a #21 drill. The 10-32 threads are tapped into that hole on the business end. The screw face is recessed about .250"in the plug. You can see the pics in my last post. Blowback hasnt been a problem at all. Not sure why you guys are talking about using the o-rings. Also we didnt need the collar at the top as it seats on the bottom of the plug to the barrel.

Thanks squirrelhawker. Is that like weathershield on the hex and front of the plug? There was a guy on this forum that done some of the T/C Rifles with the weathershield coating, can't remember his name or the brand of coating it was. I would like to find something to coat the plugs for shooting BH209 and hopefully keep the 209 carbon from sticking so bad.

You have a dandy set-up there with the replacable vent liner. Have you tried BH209 with that plug?

Thanks squirrelhawker. Is that like weathershield on the hex and front of the plug? There was a guy on this forum that done some of the T/C Rifles with the weathershield coating, can't remember his name or the brand of coating it was. I would like to find something to coat the plugs for shooting BH209 and hopefully keep the 209 carbon from sticking so bad.

Rob,
No coating at either end. Just the way he finished them. Bead blasted or something.

Have you tried BH209 with that plug?

No, I have settled on the powder mentioned in the PM. The BH209 is kind of pricey too at $30 for 10 oz. Like I said, not trying to sell anything here just sharing what has worked for me and some hunting buddies. I will post a pic of the NEF ramrod I modified too.

I notice a 209 tool in the picture, squirrelhawker. Is it necessary?
Usually not. Some primers do seem to fit more snug than others. I have been using the CCI 209M. The Federal also worked well.
The tool is Traditions part # 1404. About $3.

Pics of the ramrod mod I did to the NEF. I discarded the useless factory tip and rethread and also solder on the Hornady SST tip #6684. It is used for loading the SST's and also a field cleaning jag. The SST tip doesnt screw into the end of the rod like the factory..but so what..one less thing to do when you pull it out of the stock...ha ha The last pic is a hog I got.. :lol:

P6170059.jpg

P6170060.jpg

CopyofP6020039.jpg

That is one ugly hog! :D :wink:

I'm quite familiar with 209 tools, have a couple gathering rust out in the garage somewhere.

Thanks squirrelhawker for the information on the plug. I know what you mean about the worthless jag on the original ramrod, I have mad mods to mine as well.

What is your hog's name? He looks like he does a pretty good job brushing his teeth. Our GSP "Ginger" will be 13 in October, she is my best buddy and never bitches about nothing, very rare in females. :lol:

Latest posts

Back