Caution!!! Blackhorn 209 NOT for elk!?!?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocBob

Reaction score
I thought this was a great new powder...Unfortunately, Colorado (and I understand a couple of other states) does not allow sabots and the 50cal. full diameter conicals are all in the 400-500 gr range (at least the ones I would use on an elk)...the BH209 website states it's :!: not for use with bullets over 350 gr :!: ...Just an FYI to anyone shooting the heaveir bullets...Be careful!!!

yeah no scopes,sabots, pellets, no smokeless.

Bullet can not exceed twice the bores diameter.

You can use and bullet you want as long as its not over 1" long.

.the BH209 website states it's not for use with bullets over 350 gr

ACTUALLY that isn't correct. BH209 can be used with the same weight projectiles as Triple Se7en/Pyrodex/others.. That statement on the bottle can be disregarded..

Chuck,
Thanks for the reply...label claims are always more conservative than practical...do you know of any range test data for the larger all lead full diameter 50 cal conicals? I'd like to see some info on this as this powder sounds great otherwise.
Us western ML hunters have a serious lack of data to work with as it seems everyone tests with light weight sabots to get those last few FPS.

I just read a report where someone shot BH209 with the new Hornady "miniball configuration" full bore conical with good results. Unfortunately I didn't catch what rifle he was using. I intend to try those bullets in my CVA Optima Elite when the weather cools a bit. 112 degrees is a little hot for range time. Maybe I can get up to the mountains before December.

DocBob said:
Chuck,
Thanks for the reply...label claims are always more conservative than practical...do you know of any range test data for the larger all lead full diameter 50 cal conicals? I'd like to see some info on this as this powder sounds great otherwise.
Us western ML hunters have a serious lack of data to work with as it seems everyone tests with light weight sabots to get those last few FPS.

DocBob,

It states "Bullets over 350 grains are not recommended."

I called Western and talked to a guy in the lab, he stated that BH209 does not generate pressures any higher than 777. The reason they put that statement on the container is that they had not done any extensive testing with bullets over 350 grains. I have done some shooting with the 350 grain Hornady FPB (80 grains BH209) and a 440 grain White Power Punch (70 grains BH209) just last weekend in my NEF using the Hubbard's breech plug with excellent results. You do need a good breech plug to pull it off though, my previous testing with standard orange primer carriers was inconsistant at best. As a matter of fact, the conical groups were better than the sabot loads. I will do more conical testing before the fall in my Knight.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=9367

The title of your post states, BlackHorn 209 not for Elk. Thats far from the truth. Maybe it should say BlackHorn and connicals not for Elk?

Boy,,,you're getting "touchy"..... :lol: Conicals only has one "n" in the word too.... :wink: 8) :shock: :lol: :lol:

Grouse, technically my post doesn't "state" it's not for elk, it questions with emphasis...hence the "!?!?" ...but your point is well taken.
I wanted to get an oppinion from others with experience in the matter, as I have none. The last thing I want to do is injure either myself or one of our majestic elk with inappropriate shot choice...especially in light of the numerouos "tried and true" loads already available...on the other hand, if a newer better powder is available...BRING IT ON!!!

Busta, thanks for the info...maybe I'll try the new powder after all...that's why I'm asking now, a couple of months before the season.

I have a bunch of things to try now to see what my Knight Magnum Bighorn gets along with best!

UC

Chuck, did you ever try any BS209 in a White?

Was that suppose to be BS? er didga hab ah tiipografical err???

I did! but I ended up with the primer blown out of the battery cup and the anvil for the primer laying on the floor of the reciever. Oh! and the hammer had the battery cup jammed sideways partially into the breech plug.

I was shooting 100 grains of BH and the gun was loaded with a .458 Nosler in a .452 HPH-12 sabot. It was really snug going down, everything else was to loose in the U-Mag, but that tight load really created enough pressure to keep BH burning. It was a very strong feeling shot... but the primer deal made give up on the White with BH-209....

I've also heard that Colorado prohibits sabots, scopes, and pellet type powder. But I also heard ( from this forum) that Powerbelt bullets are OK. is that right? Going after Mule deer in Sept. so I don't think that I'm going to use anything over 300gr. bullets.

Yes, Powerbelts are fine. They do not count the plastic gas seal as it flys off the projectile.

444g flat point IS legal.

You also dont need 150 grains powder to kill a mulie.

If I owned a White, I know for a fact you don't need that fancy powder to make them shoot a conical REAL GOOD!!

If that powder has the same get up and go as Triple Se7en, I see no reason why it would not shoot a conical. I would not load more then 70 grains for starters and work up from there. I shoot a lot of conicals with Triple Se7en in my Whites.. and they love that powder and a conical. So perhaps that BH209 will work in the right kind of rifle.

Thanks frontier gander, I've been using two pellets of pyrodex (100grs) with a 348 gr. powerbelt hollow point for target practice. I'll probably scale it down abit (225-245 gr bullet) for the deer, plus we only got drawn for the doe tag, so I won't be shooting at a large critter anyway.

give the 223g platinum a try. I played with some 270 plats and they shot great and held up great.

i haven't even decided what i'll be shooting this year. Bullet/Game

Mike didn't try conicals in his White... only them dern recycled milk jugs. :)

No typo up der Mike. Anyone try that powder at 20 below zero? Jest askun. 8)

Latest posts

Back