Caution!!! Blackhorn 209 NOT for elk!?!?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do. I shot a 235 lb hog with the 50 cal Wolf using 348 gr/ 100gr powder combo, and
it was plenty. But I have not shot a deer, don't want to over kill. So, which powder load with the 225gr. 80 or 100 or does it matter?

I have shot BH209 with conicals up to 495 gr and it shot fine. Used 65 gr of powder. And me encore and extreme.

DocBob said:
Grouse, technically my post doesn't "state" it's not for elk, it questions with emphasis...hence the "!?!?" ...but your point is well taken.
I wanted to get an oppinion from others with experience in the matter, as I have none. The last thing I want to do is injure either myself or one of our majestic elk with inappropriate shot choice...especially in light of the numerouos "tried and true" loads already available...on the other hand, if a newer better powder is available...BRING IT ON!!!

Busta, thanks for the info...maybe I'll try the new powder after all...that's why I'm asking now, a couple of months before the season.

I have a bunch of things to try now to see what my Knight Magnum Bighorn gets along with best!

DocBob,

Does your Bighorn use the Red Full Plastic Jacket or the old bare 209 breech plug? The reason I ask is, with a plunger type action the primer can actually get pushed back out of the primer pocket and allow gas to vent through the flash hole. That can be the Achilles? heel with this powder. You need a good primer, AND a seal after ignition starts to keep the pressure up for a consistant burn. If your system allows a lot of gas to bleed off, it probably wont work with conicals, and may inconsistantly work with saboted bullets.

My biggest concern with the plunger guns is that the primer can actually be forced out of the primer pocket with progressive type powders such as BH209 and Black Mag '3 using heavy conicals. It can also re-cock your gun, with some force. I would be very cautious when testing. I would shield the primer area, wear safety glasses and goggles. That primer can be a projectile, and you don't know the path it may choose to take. I am not trying to scare or discourage you here, I just want you to be aware of some valid concerns.

This is what 80 grains of BM'3 and a 460 grain No Excuses conical did to my orange primer carriers on my NEF. The NEF has a standing breech to prevent rearward movement, but in a Knight plunger gun, you just don't have that safety net. I just don't know what it would have done in one of my Knight plunger guns with the FPJ, but I am sure that something would be flying in some direction. Just be careful!

013-1.jpg

Interesting info Busta.

I took these pics while setting up a Knight Wolverine Youth for our last hog hunt..

Load was 60gr of BH209 and a 250 XTP

DSCN0053.jpg

DSCN0055.jpg

is this whay you mean?

Busta,
I have the one solid piece bare primer style:

KnightBreechPlug2.jpg

KnightBreechPlug.jpg

Is that a good thing???
Or does that preclude the use of this type of powder in my rifle?

DocBob,

I really dont know what to tell you, other than be very carefull if you do try it in a plunger gun. Look at JJ's picture above your post, the primer came out of the FPJ. I just dont know what you might end up with using the bare 209 breech plug. I think it was Sabotloader that tried it in his White, his primer came apart and I think he abandoned his testing after that. This is pretty much uncharted waters, so any and all precautions should be taken if you chose to go forward.

There isn't any powder, rifle, game animal worth losing an eye over. Be careful!

Busta, Thanks for the input and I completely agree with you...like I said earlier, with many tried and true loads out there, there's no reason to risk anything on an unknown...perhaps my original post title is correct, or at least Grouse's revised version "Maybe it should say BlackHorn and connicals not for Elk???"

Until I hear of other options, I guess I'll stick with 777 for the heavier conicals. I don't need Flight-for-Life airlifting me off the mountain after I take a shot!!! :shock:

Latest posts

Back