CEB 40 Caliber 240g Maximus

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_5405.JPG

dwm provided this bullet; spoke of excellent performance by bullet on deer.

IMG_5407.JPG

From rifle out to bottles is 25 yard.

IMG_5408.JPG

Powder charge is 80 grain Blackhorn.

BOTTLES BUSTED

One can see the bullet inside the last bottle.

IMG_5410.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

IMG_5412.JPG

IMG_5415.JPG

IMG_5413.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_5405.JPG

dwm provided this bullet; spoke of excellent performance by bullet on deer.

IMG_5407.JPG

From rifle out to bottles is 25 yard.

IMG_5408.JPG

Powder charge is 80 grain Blackhorn.

BOTTLES BUSTED

One can see the bullet inside the last bottle.

IMG_5410.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

IMG_5412.JPG

IMG_5414.JPG

IMG_5413.JPG
Thanks for another great bullet test. I don't like that bullet or any other frangible bullet for hunting med nondangerous game animals for food purposes. Grenading bullets for meat hunting is no bueno for me.

Did it grenade? There was no weight loss. Yet, it appears that four petals have broken off? Is the recovered weight correct?

Did it grenade? There was no weight loss. Yet, it appears that four petals have broken off? Is the recovered weight correct?
Perhaps " grenading " wasn't the best term to use for that bullet when referring to the 4 pedals breaking off the front of the bullet. I'd expect more of a " grenading " of the wound channel & overkill damage for deer bodies plus having 4 other wound channels besides the one from the body of the bullet causes. I'd really like to see the actual damage they do on a deer or pig. I'm just speculating here regarding my perspective on this bullet. I just think that that bullet design would absolutely destroy a bunch of meat, especially if its pushed at super fast speeds. I'd think a good hollow point or round nose soft point that properly mushroomed out & held together would be a far better hunting/meat suited. Not trashing the bullet in any way. For 2 legged or 4 legged predators - I then think thats a great bullet to use. Hope This cleared up what I meant.

Thanks ron , about what I expected,I have killed 8 deer with these,everyone was a pass through.furthest was 100 yards, the rest were 60 to 80.they do cause some damage, but they don’t go very far, if anyone is interested i posted some pictures of wound damage in prior posts. I appreciate the testing

Thanks ron , about what I expected,I have killed 8 deer with these,everyone was a pass through.furthest was 100 yards, the rest were 60 to 80.they do cause some damage, but they don’t go very far, if anyone is interested i posted some pictures of wound damage in prior posts. I appreciate the testing
I'd really like to see the skinned deer carcass with the damage from those bullets. Can ya direct me to them pics ya posted? Thanks

This is the only photo I have left, exit hole, I believe it was 2019 I posted those pictures

Attachments

• 1A4318AE-859B-4D24-B956-6CF389D7920C.jpeg
    1A4318AE-859B-4D24-B956-6CF389D7920C.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 15
Here’s a good example, although not same bullet.
1 entry, 4 exit. The pedals are usually recovered under the far hide, some go thru. Base has always gone thru.

B769CECB-4D87-4BEB-9CE1-D650C6CC6FF5.jpeg

These copper bullets that break petals off do cause a bit of destruction but from what I have heard the blood washes out pretty easily and end up saving more meat than a lead bullet, this has been my experience as well. Last fall my brother shot a doe with a Hammer bullet from his 30-06, it was a bit messy in the field but washed out when we got it home, he ground up the hole and everything, zero trimming. Sorry I don't have any pics....

I’ll provide my experience with them. I used that bullet in my Knight a few years ago on a mule deer hunt. Shot a buck with it and the bullet performance was as advertised. I wouldn’t say there was any more meat loss than on any other muzzleloader shot deer I’ve taken. I was impressed with the bullet but I stopped using them because I couldn’t push them as hard as I wanted due to sabot failure. If you try shooting them with 120 grains of blackhorn you’ll have bullets keyholing and find ripped up sabots down range from my experiences.

I’ll provide my experience with them. I used that bullet in my Knight a few years ago on a mule deer hunt. Shot a buck with it and the bullet performance was as advertised. I wouldn’t say there was any more meat loss than on any other muzzleloader shot deer I’ve taken. I was impressed with the bullet but I stopped using them because I couldn’t push them as hard as I wanted due to sabot failure. If you try shooting them with 120 grains of blackhorn you’ll have bullets keyholing and find ripped up sabots down range from my experiences.
Thats basically why i shoot 90 grains, I started at 110 if I remember correctly, groups were not good, worked my way down and 90 was awesome .the guy at knight told me they all shoot 90 with that bullet in the ultra lite. he was on the money, i just had to see for myself. comfortable load and works great for my style of hunting. hard to change after 8 straight kills without having to track, some fell in their tracks

This is the only photo I have left, exit hole, I believe it was 2019 I posted those pictures
That wasn't nearly as much of a devastating wound as i expected to see. How was the inside body? How much damage did the wound channel & cavitation create? Same question for the 4 frangible pieces? Thank you for the pic & info.
Thanks for sharing your experience with them. As much as I like the idea of a copper mono ML bullet, I'll stick to the Dead Center Bullets I push 220gr .40 DC's in LBCR's out of my Avvura V2 at mid 2400fps with no probs. I'd love to recover a bullet to see the end result & weigh it.

and thanks to ron for testing, I haven’t been able to recover a single slug, all pass throughs

and thanks to ron for testing, I haven’t been able to recover a single slug, all pass throughs
Absolutely, he does great tests with great pics & video. Great info. I hunted back up in a tree stand again last season & my longest shot was in the 70-80yd range est. so neck shots were the place I chose. They're dead B4 they hit the ground with no mess in body cavity & no meat wasted. Not gonna recover any bullets that way. lol Next season I'll take a high shoulder shot just to see if I can recover one then, but at the speed I'm pushing them & deer under 100yds, pass thru's are gonna be the case.

That wasn't nearly as much of a devastating wound as i expected to see. How was the inside body? How much damage did the wound channel & cavitation create? Same question for the 4 frangible pieces? Thank you for the pic & info.

Thanks for sharing your experience with them. As much as I like the idea of a copper mono ML bullet, I'll stick to the Dead Center Bullets I push 220gr .40 DC's in LBCR's out of my Avvura V2 at mid 2400fps with no probs. I'd love to recover a bullet to see the end result & weigh it.
look around jan 2020 in my posts, good pictures there, it wrecks them on the inside, like no lung tissue left and a cavity of blood. i lost my farm lease for next year so i now go back into tree stands and pretty thick woods, probably won’t get much longer than 80 yard shots

look around jan 2020 in my posts, good pictures there, it wrecks them on the inside, like no lung tissue left and a cavity of blood. i lost my farm lease for next year so i now go back into tree stands and pretty thick woods, probably won’t get much longer than 80 yard shots
Thanks dwm much appreciated. I'll go look for the pics. Sorry ya lost your farm lease. I grew up doin a lotta farm hunting & some apple orchard hunting too amongst mtns & swamp. I love a Summit Viper self climber. I got the mini now bc its only 18lbs & smaller. My hunting is in thick pine Forrest, so most shots are gonna be up close n personal & tracking a runner - unless its pouring blood Hollywood style, tracking is nearly impossible & no hoof prints on pine needle floors. I lost 2 deer last yr using 200gr SST's. 1) I could track about 80yds then no more blood trail or deer. the other one, no blood trail from POI anywhere ( bullet penciled thru ) mid body behind shoulder. No blood or hoof prints to follow. These 220gr DC's pack a heckova punch & in the LBCR's I've pushed them to 2500fps & still shoot under moa at 200yds. I'll keep using them until I find a copper mono that can out perform them & not cost more.

Thanks dwm much appreciated. I'll go look for the pics. Sorry ya lost your farm lease. I grew up doin a lotta farm hunting & some apple orchard hunting too amongst mtns & swamp. I love a Summit Viper self climber. I got the mini now bc its only 18lbs & smaller. My hunting is in thick pine Forrest, so most shots are gonna be up close n personal & tracking a runner - unless its pouring blood Hollywood style, tracking is nearly impossible & no hoof prints on pine needle floors. I lost 2 deer last yr using 200gr SST's. 1) I could track about 80yds then no more blood trail or deer. the other one, no blood trail from POI anywhere ( bullet penciled thru ) mid body behind shoulder. No blood or hoof prints to follow. These 220gr DC's pack a heckova punch & in the LBCR's I've pushed them to 2500fps & still shoot under moa at 200yds. I'll keep using them until I find a copper mono that can out perform them & not cost more.
sucks loosing game , the only thing I can say, the ones i shot didn’t get to far, they all poured blood, stevie wonder could have found them, since i will no longer be in a nice heated box blind, my ultra lite with that combo will be my go to gun, however woodman is going to make that omega barrel in 24 inch option, I have to try that. good luck next season

sucks loosing game , the only thing I can say, the ones i shot didn’t get to far, they all poured blood, stevie wonder could have found them, since i will no longer be in a nice heated box blind, my ultra lite with that combo will be my go to gun, however woodman is going to make that omega barrel in 24 inch option, I have to try that. good luck next season
I'm cracking up at your comment on not bein in a heated box blind anymore. Man, I really miss Md. deer season Wva & Pa too, some Nva as well. Here, durin deer season, I'm swattin skeeters the size of Bumble Bee's & I need a dang air conditioner in my stand so I don't bake.

Back