CROSSVILLE HOG (PRE-HUNT) SURVEY???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
With 2 of America's most Top Notch groups of hunters (& BSers :lol: ) shortly to set foot on TN Prime Hog Hunting Territory.... curious what you all are hoping to harvest & with what ??? I'm sure you all have been thinkin/dreaming about these long planned hunts & been toying with what you hope to harvest! Are you Looking to take ONE HOG, TWO, THREE etc??? :lol:

My game plan as of this moment is to hopefully take one with my White Super 91 .504... 3/31 Friday. On Saturday & Sunday (if needed) I will be carrying my TC PA Hunter 50 caliber Flintlock looking for NUMBER TWO.

Look forward to hearing bout your great plans! :)

Note: Loshbough's accepts Plastic but Wyatts Processing doesnt nor does Lifelike Taxidermy. Daniel can work offsets( between Wyatts & Lifelike) out though if short on cash...least they did last year for me. I plan to bring nuff green this year.

Loggy:

I plan on taking a good sized eating hog although I won't pass up one if it's got a huge set of teeth. I might not take one the first day, I still have visions of the hogzilla that John and I saw last year after we both had our hogs on the ground.

I'll also take a look at their Texas Dall rams, although if it doesn't have good mass and at least a full curl I'll pass. (that's what the .257 Wby Mag is for) I'll be shooting the Savage on the Hog portion of the hunt with a Tarus Raging Bull in .480 as backup. The Weatherby will reach out farther than the Savage, so hopefully I won't be looking all day long!

John B will be looking for a hog for the wall, Dave O. isn't 100% decided on a hog or something with horns. Dave's hog that he shot last year had the largest set of teeth for the group, so he had Lifelike mount it for him.

I just found out that John has to work on Monday, so he'll be driving down from Chicago by himself. Dave and I will carpool.

Blue-Dot-37.5

I'm just hoping not to puke... :? Seriously,,,,,,I'm taking the .504 Lightning and my latest Bob Bowers Super 91 in .504,,,along with my Marlin 1895 45/70. Looking for a big one,,but will compromise if I have to... :wink: :lol: Just one piggy for me I think. Too short of time to have fun otherwise.... :wink:

Loggy said:
Note: Loshbough's accepts Plastic but Wyatts Processing doesnt

I thought susie told us we had to pay her? :? I know for sure i gave Loshbough the cash for my butchering. :) Either way doesnt matter. :)

If all goes right its my hope to bust a good size eating hog as I really enjoyed the sausage....I had the spicy last year and will this year as well... If I'm done early I'd like to try some turkey hunting...

PERSONALLY...I'm going to shoot the biggest ugliest boar I can find in the woods! As to which RIFLE I'm going to use...That's still the hard part! :( It will be between these three:

1. White 97 .50/Bobs NEW 496gr. It has absolutely no blood on it and IMO this is the PERFECT hunt for this rifle!

2. ULA .50/300gr BONDED Shockwave.. Never shot a HOG with this rifle although it's done a great job on whitetail so far! The MAIN reason I want to shoot it is it's so darn accurate AND to try out the 300gr Bonded Shockwave.

3. Savage 10ML-II Laminate/250gr BONDED Shockwave. Two bucks and an auodad so far with this rifles debut season but no hogs YET! I REALLY want to see what the 250gr BONDED Shockwave will to but others are going to use that bullet all ready...

4. Savage 10ML-II blue/composite/300gr BONDED Shockwave. Never shot anything with this rifle either. It really doesn't have the right scope on it for this type of hunt either, a 3.5-10X50. Still would like to see what the BONDED Shockwave will do..

I'm just hoping not to puke...

Try to mop it up before we get there if you do! :lol:

Grouse said:
Loggy said:
Note: Loshbough's accepts Plastic but Wyatts Processing doesnt

I thought susie told us we had to pay her? :? I know for sure i gave Loshbough the cash for my butchering. :) Either way doesnt matter. :)

They will add the processing to your bill if you like....

IndianaHunter said:
If all goes right its my hope to bust a good size eating hog as I really enjoyed the sausage....I had the spicy last year and will this year as well... If I'm done early I'd like to try some turkey hunting...

I got caught up in the moment and really never answered the question. I'm going to drop off my project gun at SMI first thing in the morning and hit a public range in their area...My closest range is being upgraded and closed at this time. I've got factory Hornady .480's in 325gr and 400gr to shoot on a 25 yard range and some 2015 and N-120 loads to try with my 4 different hard cast bullets three from Beartooth bullet Co. and one from Precision Bullets.. All are over 325gr so either of these two powders will work just fine. I'm also going to shoot my Savage 210 slug gun with a few different 12ga slugs. I think it would be neet to pop a hog with the Remington Buck Hammer 1 1/4 oz. slug...

Sounds like some great plans guys!! :yeah:

On the processing & taxidermist (if needed :lol: ) As i posted...Wyatts or Lifelike Taxidermy dont (or at least didnt last year)take plastic. Loshboughs took care off billing & offset to processor & taxidermist. In effect, Loshboughs will charge your credit card for processing & taxidermy deposit & they have to in turn settle-up with processor & taxi. This is something that I had to prearrange with Susie. Of course, Losboughs are likely stuck with paying the credit card fees (3% some places) on the deal. I threw some xtra cash in to cover the convenience. This year for me I will pay processor cash & likely only charge my hunt. Maybe procedures changed from last year but thats what it was then.

Just thought I'd mention for those who were never there.

Grouse, I missed your Hunt Plans!! Musta had Hog Fever!:lol:

We (the 3 of us) paid the processor when we picked up the meat. They took a personal check from me.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Loggy said:
Grouse, I missed your Hunt Plans!! Musta had Hog Fever!:lol:

I really dont have any Loggy. The only thing for sure is i'm taking my Encore. I dont no what powder or bullet for sure yet. Maybe this weekend i will shoot some bullets and see what i want to take. It will be a new bullet for me, for sure. It wont be a bullet i shot a Deer or a pig with already. This trip is more about getting together with everyone first. Hunting is second priority this time. Dont worry someone will find a hog laying down for me to shoot. :lol:

BD,

Talked to Suzie this Morning just to let her know I will be there around 9 AM on Friday. She said 7 have been scheduled to hunt PM.

Also, Susie mentioned processing is $85 this year & Second Hog is $450. We got last years rates on first! :)

THOUGHT THERE WERE MORE GUYS ON THIS BOARD (THAN 6) GOING TO CROSSVILLE!! MAYBE THEY JUST DONT WANT TO REVEAL THEIR SECRET HUNT PLANS!

Loggy said:
THOUGHT THERE WERE MORE GUYS ON THIS BOARD (THAN 6) GOING TO CROSSVILLE!! MAYBE THEY JUST DONT WANT TO REVEAL THEIR SECRET HUNT PLANS!

I just didn't want to tell you. Close your eyes for a second. :lol:

Disc Extreme 50, 260 Platinum tip and (probably) 100 gr of 777 pellets. I've still got to shoot to be sure. I had a bad pound of powder, I think. I'm going to attempt to shoot a large sow for the meat. Animal will not be mounted.

Loggy said:

Wow that got my attention!!!! 73 gr. of xxxx orange .458/.50 MMP sabot and a .458 Barnes-X 350 gr. bullet. sidearm is a Ruger .41 Rem. Mag with a Buffalo Bore 265 gr. lead bullet. 8)

Loggy said:
We got last years rates on first! :)

Yes we did, I believe RW's group did also. That's one of the things that I checked on last year and pushed me to sign up with Loshbough again. I did have this weekend reserved @ Caryonah for a short amount of time last year. The price difference pushed me back there. I believe that a 2nd animal, no matter what type is at a reduced price. Anybody that wants to take a 2nd animal really should check with Susie for the price first. It would avoid surprises unless somebody wants to duplicate RW's shooting prowness! :lol:

I will have a poll after the hunt to see if everybody wants to go back to Loshbough or another place (like Caryonah). The price will be different but food will be included. I'll let the poll run for a reasonable length of time, and go wtih the majority's decision. I won't ask for anybody's input until after both groups have hunted.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Mathews Switchback XT, 27.5" draw, 70 pound bow, 80% letoff, Cabela's SST pultruded carbon shafts, Slick Trick 100 grain 4 blade broadheads, Lore stabilzer, Spott-Hogg Hunter Hogg-it sights with the 7 deadly pins and my own fiber optic mods, Rip-Cord drop away rest, blazer vanes, spray paint cresting, Jim Fletcher new Flathead release, customized grip, STS suppresion system, Vanguard case.

Will be hunting with that till Sunday. If I do not score with the bow, I will resort to the unrefinements of my darned ole Super 91 .504 provided I ever get my stock back from B&C. Otherwise I will try to dig up another 91 to take.

You haven't got that mess straightened out yet?! Let me know,,,I have something you can borrow. :roll: :lol: :wink:

Hey Super, if you want to quit smoking, I have a Savage that you could use! (you don't have to remove the scope to clean it) :lol:

Blue-Dot-37.5

Yeah, what Grouse said. Still NIB. Might get out there and shoot it one of these days......but not at Crossville...

And Bat, nope, still waiting. If it don't show up Monday, I will set the action in another stock and go from there.

Latest posts

Back