CVA Accura V2 - Need some help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellas.  New to the site and new to muzzleloading.  Purchased a CVA Accura V2, did a little research with the local gunshop, hit the range and am currently struggling.  Attempted to site in at 50 yards shooting 150 gr. white hots, 295 gr. powerbelt aerolite with cci 209 primer.  Glass is Nikon prostaff 3x9.  Ran ten or so rounds through and they were all over the place.  Shooting off a lead sled, swabbed the barrel between shots, checked the BP every 3rd or 4th shot and still all over the place.

From reading the information on this site, I'm thinking of using the BH 209 powder (I realize I have to buy a different BP)  but not sure which round to use.  Any ideas.

Actually any ideas on powder, round, primer would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum first off!

You may actually want to give the Winchester W209 or Winchester 777 primers a try. A hot primer like the CCI can actually really impact how a load groups in a bad way.

150gr is a LOT of powder and personally, I'd highly suggest you drop it down to 100gr and I think you'll see a pretty big improvement in group size.

The 250 or 300gr Aerolite I know loves 100gr Whitehots with the W209 primers in my Accura. It shot these bullets well with even 150gr but the recoil just wasn't that much fun, especially once you shot it off hand.

BH209 certainly is a great way to go and I'd highly suggest that route. But first, drop it down to 100gr whitehots and try a new Winchester W209 or 777 primer and see how that goes since you already have the whitehots.

Jonathan

Try what Jon suggested, and ignore advice from that gun shop from now on. All the answers you will need can be found here.

btw..If you're using the scope mount that comes on the gun I hope you checked the tightness on the base screws, and blue loctite them is a good idea too.

There is no doubt about that.  I've been reading for a couple days on this site and you guys are spot on.  Like I said, new to muzzleloading.  Been archery hunting for 35 years and am still addicted, was just looking for a new challenge.  Our in-line season here in PA is so limited that I never was interested.  I have decided that I am going to try and save a tag for gun season and use the in line.  Also was able to acquire a lease in central ohio (big bucks) and am planning on using it in Ohio, if I can get proficient.  I sincerely appreciate the advise.

Muzzleloaders can be very addicting. Most of us will use one even in the normal rifle seasons besides the muzzy seasons.

You have a good gun that should easily shoot MOA , or better all day.

The problem with northwestern PA is that muzzleloading is not real big here.  We have whitetails and bears as far as big game and rifle hunting is the norm.  All fine and dandy for the guy that wants to shoot his rifle once a year to assure the scope is on but for us that enjoy shooting and being able to control the load its difficult.

We have a gander and a field and stream and a few other local gun shops but there is nothing up here geared to ML.

Thanks heavens for the internet.  Never thought I would say that.

PA has a late primitive muzzleloader season, I believe. I think you have to use flintlocks but I'm not sure about that.
That's what I'd hunt with. Real black powder and a flintlock along with an extended season = Heaven. :Red tup:

In fact we do.  It comes in the day after Christmas and lasts for 2 weeks (as does second archery season).  A number of my friends use flintlocks and live for this season.  They use drive hunting this time of year as we usually have quite a bit of snow.  Not that I'm opposed to that method of hunting but I prefer to sit over food that time of year with my compound or crossbow.  I'm figuring small steps are the way to go....start with the in line then possibly the flintlock!

Good morning guys.  Finally was able to get out and shoot with the new primers.  I used the 777 primers, the 100gr of whitehots.  WOW!  That's all I can say.  Sited in at 50yds.  Third shot I took the entire bullseye out.  Two adjustments at 100 yds and the next four rounds were touching at an inch high.  INCREDIBLE!

I can't thank you guys enough.  I'm one that if my weapon of choice is not hitting where I aim, I am uncomfortable.  I want any mistake or miss to be the shooters fault, and with this thing, it will be my fault.  I was amazed with the rifle like accuracy.

Thanks again and I will be back for sure.

Latest posts

Back