CVA and the Paramount

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds to me like they (CVA) are aware of the negative feedback their Paramount line is getting and have ceased production because of that,
you can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig. They must have finally realized their folly and quit production

sounds to me like they (CVA) are aware of the negative feedback their Paramount line is getting and have ceased production because of that,
you can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig. They must have finally realized their folly and quit production
It said due to the lack of black horn 209 and large rifle primers is why they stopped production of the paramount.

I see so many Paramounts for sale, by retailers, that could mean they aren’t ordering more guns if they can’t sell what they have.
I don't believe Ford would stop making F150s if gasoline was not available, until demand fell off. If the product sells, you keep making it. I dont entirely believe their story but it still may play some part in sales decline and halting production.

I wouldn’t buy the Paramount if if consumables weren’t available for them also. I would make the same business decision cva did in this situation too.

funny thing is I can find and get both of those products
so their claim is basically a lie
I just did a quick search and found both items they claim are hard to find or impossible to find, they are pricey though but available.
So I have to throw the BS flag on that one

Last edited:
The consumables are available, but at a much greater cost than they were when the paramount was introduced. If the product isn’t selling, for whatever reason, they made the correct business decision. We’ll see if it’s ever introduced again, with improvements that address the complaints, if lack of ammunition was the real reason.

I find it hard to believe that a company as big as BPI/CVA can’t communicate with General Dynamics, the manufacturer of Blackhorn 209, and work with them, educate them, and influence them, to somehow increase production (and lower cost).
BPI/CVA and Bergara, and Hodgdon as well as every retail outlet, all lose big time profit by General Dynamics production and marketing decisions. Maybe they could license the manufacturer of BH209 to someone else with the production capabilities that we need. The retail market is here. What business doesn’t tap that large of a market?

LRPs are easier to find than 209s around here, and yesterday my local ML shop has 3 BH209 sitting on the shelf. 89.99.

LRPs are easier to find than 209s around here, and yesterday my local ML shop has 3 BH209 sitting on the shelf. 89.99.
I almost pulled the trigger on a Paramont but luckily I was persuaded to go the Knight route. This is why I won't continue to shoot BH209 after my supply is exhausted. I thought it was expensive when it first came out. Now its ridiculous. Even with a 100 gr charge by weight (150 volume), with a 10 oz canister you get just under 44 loads. That's over $2 a shot not counting the bullet and primer. Reduce that charge to 85 gr by weight (120 volume) you're still over $1 a shot plus bullets and primer. I can get by just as good with Pyrodex or Tripple 7 or until my 10+ lb of Black MZ runs out and I find I usually get better accuracy with either one of these.

Personally, I think you guys are a little hard on CVA for the paramount. I've seen a lot of choked barrels over the years from just about all of the barrel manufacturers out there. We inspect the barrels on our builds before we start doing anything with them. Definitely not saying the paramount is perfect, but if you want perfection, spend the $$ and go custom. To put it in perspective, I've got more $$ in parts in one of our builds than what the paramount retails for. I hear plenty of stories from Knight owners with guns that don't shoot too. That's just the nature of production guns.

Back