CVA Optima snapped in half!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as the gun is beyond filthy, I believe if you look at the one side view picture, look at the discoloration on the receiver. looks to me that a torch was used to expand the casting to try to remove the frozen breechplug. heat created crack, gun falling expanded crack.

So pulling a clean rifle from the safe on Saturday, shooting 10-12 rounds and leaving it dirty for 2 days so the deer don’t smell solvent or have it lose accuracy is neglect? Ok...

No way that primer heated metal to break like that.
no way that"clean rifle" was shot "10-12times", and could be that filthy.

no way that"clean rifle" was shot "10-12times", and could be that filthy.
Okay whatever you guys say! You all are the “experts” and we’re there when it happened. The gun being dirty has nothing to do with it snapping in half so get off your high horses and if you don’t have anything positive to say move on!

as the gun is beyond filthy, I believe if you look at the one side view picture, look at the discoloration on the receiver. looks to me that a torch was used to expand the casting to try to remove the frozen breechplug. heat created crack, gun falling expanded crack.
If a torch was ever taken to the gun it was from the previous owner. I went to the LGS to buy the scope and found the gun and scope for the same price. He said he sold it to the guy who returned it 2 months later cause he needed the money. LGS says never been fired. Breech plug and barrel didn’t have a stitch of spot on it when in the store. I don’t even own a torch.

I believe if you look at the one side view picture, look at the discoloration on the receiver. looks to me that a torch was used to expand the casting to try to remove the frozen breechplug.

What you are seeing is an indent in the casting to allow the butt stock to fit flush. I can't see any signs of excessive heat, aka torch.

Like they say it ain’t the fall that kills you it’s the sudden stop, and I have had my leaky guns look pretty bad after 10 shots

No one should be surprised the receiver is cast. That’s how CVA meets their price point.

Casting is not necessarily a bad thing.

How did the gun land? Did it land on something like a rock or log?

The T/C Triumph trigger guard has a reputation for cracking. The rumor is it is made from some kind of pot metal.

Henry lever guns , same pot metal . Snazzy brass cover over it . That cast , pot metal has been used a long time in rifles . I honestly have no problem with it breaking from a fall from a tree . YMMV

10 shots, doesn't look so bad for a smoker. As for busting stuff up... I have never destroyed a rifle by dropping but have seen them "killed" a bunch of ways. And for other equipment... Once did a spill in a canoe and it was 5 days before got the guns off the bottom. Didn't look so good but they still went boom. Getting off a climbing stand, stepped in a stump hole and fell on the ML. Scope all bashed to crooked pieces, packed it up and sent back with truthful story and a could be repaired and how much question. Got a brand new Weaver in return. Guess what kind of scopes I favor to put on my rifles now? S happens and this is just one incident. Of my ML have 5 TC, 2 Savage ML2, 2 Rem 700ML, 1 White, 2 Cabelas, 1 Lyman. And as for breaking stuff, I can tell you that heavy loads in 45 or 50 cal SML will test your scope. My Weavers and Vortex do great but when working on SML for some other guys I've seen some scope brands just aren't up to durability standards, 10 shots will usually prove if they have the stuff or not. Reflects opinion and experience, others will have different results. W

Henry lever guns , same pot metal . Snazzy brass cover over it . That cast , pot metal has been used a long time in rifles . I honestly have no problem with it breaking from a fall from a tree . YMMV

The only Henry leverguns that have a "snazzy" brass covers are rimfires. The brass centerfire rifles are a high strength brass alloy. I know you Marlin guys like to bash Henry but at least get the facts right.

Not bashing but I dont think most muzzleloaders would snap in half unless it was the stock no matter how many times you pitched them from a tree at different angles..that metal looks very porous sort of what pot metal looks like.
It broke behind the breach plug. It is made of aluminum to save on costs and weight. If it were made of steel it would cost an extra hundred or more and weigh good 2lbs more.

They look like investment castings, but the Accura MR is a different profile than the Optima V2.
I have both the optima and accura and behind the breach plug they both appear to be same metal is my opinion. Nothing wrong with it. It was designed with aluminum to keep costs down and to save on weight. Don’t drop crap from a tree stand. You could drop a 2000$ custom rifle and have stuff snap at the action and such.

CVA's Scout and Hunter are both steel. You can buy them as cheap as $250. No reason in the world why they can not offer a steel frame ML for well under $400. They did years ago and so did Traditions. Sure it adds weight but they do it for one main reason.........Higher profits.

I have both the optima and accura and behind the breach plug they both appear to be same metal is my opinion. Nothing wrong with it. It was designed with aluminum to keep costs down and to save on weight. Don’t drop crap from a tree stand. You could drop a 2000$ custom rifle and have stuff snap at the action and such.

I didn't drop my rifle from a tree stand. It got knocked out by the wind. Yes! I safety set it across two limbs to free my hands. Then an hour later the wind came up. The winds rocking action dislodged the rifle and it went tumbling down the ladders runs about 18'. The damage was done right behind the trigger guard. The fall half spit the walnut stock. I shot it for years like that. When I began using a lead sled the recoil was too hard on it. The crack started opening up. Finally I tried Gorilla wood glue. It is still holding even from the lead sled pounding.

I did loose my grip on a crossbow a couple of times and it was undamaged from the free fall from the tree stand.

Looks like I never posted the outcome.

Well, CVA was awesome. I called and dealt with a great CS rep who said send the gun in and they would look at it. I was honest with them that the gun fell out of the tree and he included it in the notes. I finally got around to sending it to them and a few weeks later I noticed a post on their facebook page from the CEO about COVID backing them up and he was actually responding to people from his personal facebook profile. I sent him a facebook message telling him how his CS rep was awesome with all the paperwork, calling me to inform me they received the gun and then later telling me its going to be awhile because everyone was out for covid and most the staff is working from home. I thought they forgot all about me. The CEO actually responded from his personal facebook page and thanked me for the kind words of his staff. Several weeks later I received a call from the same CS rep that the receiver was replaced and they would be sending it back to me asap with no charge. In the notes it was mentioned they installed a new breech plug due to a headspace/fitment issue. Maybe thats why the gun was so "filthy" was because it wasnt fitted properly. I re mounted my Nikon XR scope last night and hope its okay after the fall and will be sighting it in this week.

Looks like I never posted the outcome.

Well, CVA was awesome. I called and dealt with a great CS rep who said send the gun in and they would look at it. I was honest with them that the gun fell out of the tree and he included it in the notes. I finally got around to sending it to them and a few weeks later I noticed a post on their facebook page from the CEO about COVID backing them up and he was actually responding to people from his personal facebook profile. I sent him a facebook message telling him how his CS rep was awesome with all the paperwork, calling me to inform me they received the gun and then later telling me its going to be awhile because everyone was out for covid and most the staff is working from home. I thought they forgot all about me. The CEO actually responded from his personal facebook page and thanked me for the kind words of his staff. Several weeks later I received a call from the same CS rep that the receiver was replaced and they would be sending it back to me asap with no charge. In the notes it was mentioned they installed a new breech plug due to a headspace/fitment issue. Maybe thats why the gun was so "filthy" was because it wasnt fitted properly. I re mounted my Nikon XR scope last night and hope its okay after the fall and will be sighting it in this week.

AWESOME to hear!! :lewis:

Man I’m late to the party, glad to hear they took good care of you. Thanks for posting, you took a beating almost equal to that CVA! It’s always nice to hear when a company resolves something that’s not really on them. Good word of mouth goes farther than fancy marketing!

I'm glad it worked out. Your kind words probably helped quite a bit.

Back