CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. Although their i havent heard anything about .40 or .50 bores, im primarily a .45 shooter and really wanted a new CVA but i am waiting til i believe their current issues are resolved before getting another. I was very close to selling my Accura, when the buyer backed out. Im so glad he did cuz this .45 is snug, consistent, and accurate. It's a 2019. I would buy an early model paramount if i was looking for one.
I have a 2019 45cal Paramount and it's is a consistent .454 overbore muzzle to breech. I'm currently using knurled up then smooth sized Fury 265gr STB bullets with mediocre results. I'm considering getting some Hornady 325gr .458 FTX to smooth size down to .0454
I wouldn't assume all early paramounts are ok either, I have a first year paramount and the bore is badly choked. It will shoot ELR's into about 1 3/4 - 2" at 100yds. I called CVA a while ago about it and they said I could send it in but probably not anything out of the ordinary..... I tried to get bullets to shoot bullet to bore but there is too much choke to make it work safely.
And THAT is why this whole affair pisses me off so. **** happens...I get that. But damn it, stand behind what you put your brand on CVA! It's not like this is some $50 Crosman pellet rifle! These kinds of rifle bore inconsistencies are unacceptable! And for them to play it off only underscores the belief held by many that this all is a ruse to lock shooters into their ELR bullets...well to hell with that!

Last edited:
How sad it is, that a company like CVA, can go to hell in one year? What are these people thinking? This whole affair makes them look cheap and unrealistic for future sales. It also strengthens our American made muzzleloaders like Woodman and knight for immediate sales.🍻
And for that part of it (Knight and Woodman) I'm actually grateful but to be honest I can't imagine what they are thinking. Sacrifice millions of dollars in rifle sales just to sell some bullets? It wouldn't be the 1st time big business shot itself in the foot rather than admit they either lost their way or were lead astray. Regardless, I've spent my last dollar on CVA until those responsible for this stupidity are held accountable.

Last edited:
And for that part of it I'm actually grateful but to be honest I can't imagine what they are thinking. Sacrifice millions of dollars in rifle sales just to sell some bullets? It wouldn't be the 1st time big business shot itself in the foot rather than admit they either lost their way or were lead astray. Regardless, I've spent my last dollar on CVA until those responsible for this stupidity are held accountable.

Not sure, can you clarify- Are you not…. Going to purchase another CVA?

Just kidding

How sad it is, that a company like CVA, can go to hell in one year? What are these people thinking? This whole affair makes them look cheap and unrealistic for future sales. It also strengthens our American made muzzleloaders like Woodman and knight for immediate sales.🍻
Sadly though........... there are those who are so blinded by their dedication to CVA, that they'll promote them to their grave.
A vast majority of those people are "extended season hunters".

I had been considering a Paramount for some time without even knowing about these barrel dimension issues. Something with them just seemed off to me, and my gut kept telling me to stay away. Then I discovered the Woodman Arms Patriot, that I can get a Brux barrel, in what is a semi custom rifle and for less $ than the CVA.
Thanks gut for being there for me on this one !

Not to side track… Yet does anyone have information or experience with the Accura LR-X or MR-X .50 ?

I understand some have a biased opinion towards CVA from less than optimal previous circumstances….
Yet can Anyone tell me, Do the Other lines of CVA have similar issues?

Ive pondered a Paramount Pro yet am looking at a Accura Lr or Mr-X model.

Non biased opinion wanted- thank you

Have had good luck with the Accura MR non X version, and really like that rifle. But sorry no experience with any of the X versions yet.

Not to side track… Yet does anyone have information or experience with the Accura LR-X or MR-X .50 ?

I understand some have a biased opinion towards CVA from less than optimal previous circumstances….

A lot of compliments and fans of the 50 cal 28 twist Acura Mr and long range,, I think the new version as long as it's in 50 cal 28 twist is potentially a wonderful rifle,,, issues have been with the 45 cals as well as a Paramount you might put any 22 twists rifle barrel that CVa made the last two or three years in that category no matter which rifle you're looking at it's not that people want to beat up cva I don't ,I just tell it like it is with what I've seen in my own experience with my own Paramount and short stay with a 45 Cal MRX I got rid of it quickly,,, I think you'll find it most of those on modern muzzleloader tend to give credit where credit's due and criticism where criticism is due I don't have a favorite kid in the playground fight. I love some CVA muzzleloaders and others I want no part of

Thank you- Certainly a non biased opinion and a good explanation. Appreciate your time.
I think a 1:28 .50 Lr or Mr may be my direction
A lot of compliments and fans of the 50 cal 28 twist Acura Mr and long range,, I think the new version as long as it's in 50 cal 28 twist is potentially a wonderful rifle,,, issues have been with the 45 cals as well as a Paramount you might put any 22 twists rifle barrel that CVa made the last two or three years in that category no matter which rifle you're looking at it's not that people want to beat up cva I don't ,I just tell it like it is with what I've seen in my own experience with my own Paramount and short stay with a 45 Cal MRX I got rid of it quickly,,, I think you'll find it most of those on modern muzzleloader tend to give credit where credit's due and criticism where criticism is due I don't have a favorite kid in the playground fight. I love some CVA muzzleloaders and others I want no part of

Fair, accurate, & well said brother.

To be honest, as far as the 50cal. iterations are concerned, I have no idea. I have heard nothing negative about them I can tell you that. It's the .40 and .45 caliber models that have had the issues. I already own an Accura V2 Prairie Rifle in 50 cal. that I shoot bullet to bore Fury 320gr Star Tip 2P out of and it's a tack driver...love that rifle. I have read where some that own the LR-X in 50 cal love them but I don't know what they're using for bullets. I'm not in the market for another 50 cal and with all this drama around these CVAs I'm not ready to waste more time and money on one. I'm looking very hard at a Knight Peregrine. Fury makes some very nice 40 cal bullets that would fit the bill nicely.

Absolutely correct sir! Very well said. I'm sure all of us would prefer that none of this drama existed, I know I do. But like you, I grant passes to no one for shoddy workmanship regardless of who does it. Brand loyalty is earned...not granted.

To be honest, as far as the 50cal. iterations are concerned, I have no idea. I have heard nothing negative about them I can tell you that. It's the .40 and .45 caliber models that have had the issues. I already own an Accura V2 Prairie Rifle in 50 cal. that I shoot bullet to bore Fury 320gr Star Tip 2P out of and it's a tack driver...love that rifle. I have read where some that own the LR-X in 50 cal love them but I don't know what they're using for bullets. I'm not in the market for another 50 cal and with all this drama around these CVAs I'm not ready to waste more time and money on one. I'm looking very hard at a Knight Peregrine. Fury makes some very nice 40 cal bullets that would fit the bill nicely.
I had a PR .50 Accura, that i sold when i got the .45 LR, it was also a tack driver. And just a sweet gun to shoulder. I almost never see them for sale. I think CVA really nailed that one but it just didn't get the sales numbers i think. The MR was the hot seller with the same stock and shorter barrel.

Back