CVA Wolf Load Suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWyatt

Reaction score
Hi all, new guy here. Been doing a lot of searching and reading on here lately, but was hoping to get some suggestions on loads to try. Sorry in advance if I’m beating a dead horse.
I have always shot 2 50gr pellets and 250gr SST’s, but wasn’t ever thrilled with the groups. Never knew enough to know that there were other/better options until I stumbled across this site recently.
Now I have the BH209 on order, the BH breech plug, mag primers, and am curious what other Wolf owners are using for bullets/sabots.
My shots are typically 25-125 yards. I’m assuming I start with 80gr of powder and work up, but I can’t decide on bullets. Looking for something NOT confusing, lol. I’ve gone cross eyed looking into all the options out there for various weight bullets and aftermarket sabots.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would give the Barnes 300 grain or the 250 grain TEZ bullet a try starting with 90 grains of Black Horn. Other options would be the 300 grain Deep Curl made by Speer or the 275 grain Fury which has become one of my favorites. Try the Harvester short smooth black sabot with these two bullets. The TEZ's come with their own sabot which is blue.

Friend has one. We set it up with Barnes 250 Expanders, shooting 95 grains of Blackhorn. Shoots great. I haven't used the Expanders in some time, but I never had any complaints about on game performance.

Friend has one. We set it up with Barnes 250 Expanders, shooting 95 grains of Blackhorn. Shoots great. I haven't used the Expanders in some time, but I never had any complaints about on game performance.
I second this...that is my sons load exactly and accuracy and terminal performance have been outstanding.

I shoot the 300 gr Deep Curls, .452 in a Harvester crush rib sabot. 77 weighed gr of BH209 and Win blue box primers. I clean the breech plug about every 10 shots. Never had a misfire or hang fire.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I do have a few questions about the posts above.

Barnes Expanders that are mentioned a couple times above - are you talking about the Expander Hollow Points or the Expander MZ Spitfire? And are you using the factory included sabot?

I've seen the Speers mentioned a lot as well, but I get very confused when looking at their website. What exactly am I looking for? This? I know zero about handgun bullets and reloading specs as they relate to muzzleloaders.
https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/bullets/handgun-bullets/deepcurl-handgun-hunting/3974

If you want to try the Speer Deep Curls just go to www.midsouthshotersupply.com
Go under handgun bullets then the .452 there you will find the 300gr hp you are looking for. On the Barns Bullets go under muzzleloader section then bullets with Sabots that's were you'll find the MZ HP flat base bullets. You can't go wrong with either bullet holds together expands well and complete pass throughs

Ill keep repeating this. I have a wolf. I like to shoot a lot and like to shoot cheap. I'm 63 years old, have reloaded for cartridge rifles for 35 years and hunted with a muzzle loader for as long. Ive killed at least 35 deer with a round ball and patch and would still do so but my eyes need a scope nowadays. For my Wolf I use 100 grains of loose T7, a .430 305grain lead bullet from GT Bullets, and a MMP green sabot. My partner shoots a 255 grain bullets from the same company. Last night we killed our 5th deer with these bullets. 1 made it 50 yards the rest dropped in their tracks. About $.18 + shipping for the bullet and about $.14 plus shipping for the sabot. They are accurate and deadly. No gimmicks. Haven't collected a bullet because they pass through. Make a commitment to 1 bullet then make adjustments to powder until you get the accuracy you want. Then shoot till your skilled at it.

I'm using a Barnes T-EZ 290gr and 90gr of BH in my Wolf. It will be used for bear this year. It would be great for mule deer and elk if it was legal to use it here.
I get a perfect fit and good accuracy with the blue sabots if comes with. Some guys also like it with the Harvester CR sabots.

Ok I've finally gotten around to getting everything put together now after an extremely busy summer. Here's what I got, if you see anything wrong or have better suggestions, please let me know. Planning on getting out later this week to start shooting. I already switched my breech plug to the CVA BH plug.
Muzzle.jpg

Does everything look correct? I've never purchased bullets and sabots separately before. Do I have the correct primers as well?

I actually have some of those too, just forgot to put them in the picture. Hopefully this question gets ,answered here, if not I'll start a new thread.
What are the ill effects of blowback? I read about it all the time on here, but outside of this forum, I've never heard of it. Does it affect accuracy, shorten the life of your plug, or what? I see tons of information on here about various ways to try to prevent it, but don't see why to prevent it.
I shoot my ML very little, only at the range each season to sight in my scope, and that's it other than shooting at a deer. In my case, is blowback something I need to even worry with?

Bowby will erode the flash hole and primer shelf more quickly. When a primer seals well there is no place for very much hot gas to go other than out the other end. Sealed good and the breach stays far far cleaner too. Most is easily cleaned but the firing pin assembly. Left uncleaned the firing pin will eventually seize up in the bushing.

It certainly wont help accuracy if its leaking and it will only hurt ignition reliability.

Latest posts

Back