CVA Wolf Load Suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the general consensus on the easiest way to prevent it on the CVA Wolf? I've read about various ways on here until I went cross-eyed.

Easiest way...an o-ring like this one. Just put it in the breach plug primer pocket. They last for quite a few shots before they need replacing.
https://www.mcmaster.com/9262K611/
9262k611l.gif

Great, thanks, just ordered some. Is there a way to know when they need replacing? How do you get them out? I'm assuming these just drop right in the primer pocked of the BP?
Thank you for your help

They go in rather easy. A small pic gets them right out. IF they get really trashed they will probably even fall out. Most guys have said they get 20ish+ shots out of one.

The only negative might be your Fed209A primers will be slighty long for them. Wont know until you try. As long as the action snaps shut and you can pull the hammer back you should be good to go.

Thanks again - what primer would you recommend? The Federals were the only thing I could find anywhere around here.

Shortest USA made primers are the Rem STS. CCI209Ms might be slightly shorter than the Fed209A. It looks like CCI might have made a change to their 209s recently so im not sure anymore.

CVA BP Rifle primer blowback problem.

IMO, when the primer is fired there is a lot of resistance or back pressure on the primer ignited hot gas caused by the small size of the fire/flame hole, .028 to .033. This resistance/pressure means that it is imperative that the primer is sealed into the primer pocket to prevent the hot gas from escaping back around the primer and exciting to the rear, blowback. This blowback can foul the firing pin assembly in addition to the fact that it is wasted hot gas that is intended to ignite the powder charge. The sealing of the primer is also made more difficult because all primers are NOT the same length. If the fired primer has black coloring on the sides of the primer than this is an indication of the blowback problem. I have found, from recommendations on BP forums, that using the rubber O-Ring in the primer pocket that the blowback problem is solved for whichever primer I am using. The O-Ring will last for 10/20 shots and you get 100 O-Rings for about $5. This is the site for the O-Ring.

McMaster-Carr

This O-Ring can be seated into the base of the primer pocket using a primer to push the O-Ring in. When loading the primer into the BP rifle, point the open action down while inserting the primer and then close the action with a firm snap. Also check that the firing pin bushing is flush with the face of the receiver with no indention or protrusion. This will insure that the action will open/close without any problems.

Back