Deep Curl Obturate

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well..…….. the postman showed up today with a double delivery ;)

IMG_1788.JPG

Ron I sized the deep curls to fit my rifles bore with a average loading force of 20#. I did each bullet individually, so they load between 18-21# with the force gage.
I lubed each bullet then started with bullet #1. I slowly reduced the size with multiple adjustments until it loaded at 20#. I backed the die off one complete mark for bullet #2. It appears there's significant spring back and without adjusting the die, passed bullet through the die a total of 3 times. It also loaded properly. Bullets 3-5 were all tested for loading force and all 3 required 3 passes through the sizer, without adjustment, to make 20#'s.

Just for giggles, I weighed each of the 5 bullets and found they were all within 1.3grs :)

All sized up...….. I used some BH209 vials I've never used and they have exactly 63grs by WEIGHT of BH209.
…… NOTE: I use Lane's tubes for all my shooting, utilizing the different colored caps for different charges. To keep the 63gr charges separate and identifiable, thus the BH209 vials.

When this weather pulls out of the Great Lakes and up here, I'll send them and post a target.

IMG_1793.JPG

I don’t have the new style Swinglock so I can’t compare. Older allen wrench type. FF and smooth. I do have Hankins smooth.
I lean to Hankins die.
I was able to squeeze 45 down to .442
I couldn’t get the Swinglock 45 smooth down that low.Would compromise the die.

This forum has got me shooting Lehigh’s .458 260 pill. 120 grn Bh209.
Shooting in Knight 1/20 and 1/28.
I wouldn’t want to target practice with them due to cost, but man are they accurate!
I size to .452 or .454 and lightly knurl up.

Ron, shooting will take place either tomorrow or Sunday unfortunately.

We got clobbered by heavy wet snow and I've been out cutting limbs and trees it took down all day and I'm just plain tuckered out. It warmed up and we have just a slight wind, which is causing a lot of snow to drop. I'd have to set up a tent or canopy.
Waiting might be a good thing too. I'll check that loading force and determine if there was any spring back.

Ron, I shot the bullets just a short ago after the sun started peaking out some. SSW wind at maybe 6-10mph.

First........… I fired two rounds at the berm to foul my barrel, using 84grs WEIGHT of BH and 275gr fury ST2 bullets.

The Deep Curl DID NOT need to be resized again prior to loading and shooting them. I didn't use the gage to load them, but they loaded perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised.

I used a FULL LENGTH shooting rest for a rock steady position and hold.

Charge was 63grs by WEIGHT of BH209 as asked. Bullets were seated with two hands FIRMLY on the wad/propellant.
IGNITION WAS INSTANTANOUS using LRMP and Arrowhead modules.
I swabbed between all rounds using the 50/50 mixture of 91% alcohol and Hoppes (slightly damp patch). I dried the bore with two clean patches between loadings.

I made ZERO scope adjustments, which wasn't necessary anyway. I was only shooting the bullets to see if they would group.

I have absolutely no clue why #3 hit to the left where it did. Each bullet loaded exactly as the bullet prior and after. Nice round holes in that cardboard.

What I think that bullet needs to tighten up, is a stiffer charge, which might bump it up into the groves better.

test 11-2-19.JPG

Im almost certain the 250gr DC is harder than the 250gr Nosler. I can feel it when running them through a die. The Nosler sizes super easy and shoots easy too.

Im almost certain the 250gr DC is harder than the 250gr Nosler. I can feel it when running them through a die. The Nosler sizes super easy and shoots easy too.

Does the Nosler give you any spring back? The DC didn't spring back after the initial sizing and loaded correctly.

Does the Nosler give you any spring back? The DC didn't spring back after the initial sizing and loaded correctly.
Not sure really because i under size those and knurl up for that bore. I was taking them down about .002ish. Jackets are thin and core is pure lead according to Nosler.

Back