Devils Advocate....350gr FPB.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copper clad 50 cal 348 gr. HP PowerBelt
100 gr. Pyrodex ffg.
125 yds. elbow impact on a pronghorn antelope. Live weight 115 lbs.

I expect much better than this out of a projectile...even when it hits solid bone.
bustedpowerbelt.jpg

Comparison to 370 gr. Maxiball, lung shot on a 225 lb. bear 1500 fps. 40 yds.
Pass through performance on the bear then penetrated 2 inches into a log.
SpringBear08028-1.jpg

If I could find a way to push a Maxiball faster than 1500 fps without leading my barrel...I would, and I'd have complete confidence that it would stay together, too.

Pure lead has its limits.

Yep! So far my limit is 152 yards on a nice 6 pointer using a measley 496gr. Trashcan. :roll: I just haven't found another one to stand still long enough for an ethical shot like this one did. :wink:

Last year's was just 107 yards,,, 8)

Batchief909 said:
Pure lead has its limits.

Yep! So far my limit is 152 yards on a nice 6 pointer using a measley 496gr. Trashcan. :roll: I just haven't found another one to stand still long enough for an ethical shot like this one did. :wink:

Last year's was just 107 yards,,, 8)

:lol: 496g bullet would hurt me more than the animal at the receiving end.

frontier gander said:
no penetration from a 295 powerbelt? Boy, i've shot deer with 150 grains loose powder and 90 grains, all exits, deer either dropped in their tracks or with one deer, ran maybe 30 yards max.

Not sure where you guys come up with this stuff on powerbelts not penetrating.

I believe i used the 240grn PB and the 295grn PB in the year 2001 and 2002 with a Knight Disc Extreme with 110grns of 777. Between NY and Pa i believe i shot around 10 or 12 Deer. All shots were pretty good and no blood whatsoever. I shot one in the snow, and didnt see blood for about fifty or 60yds. :shock: These bullets should be banned in Muzzleloaders. I did shoot a couple Deer with the 348grn PB with excellant results.

You guys use the wrong powder charges. 80 grains triple 7 3f with the 225 g powerbelt AT on my doe last year left an amazing short blood trail.

You guys give 80 grains with a 225g + powerbelt a try and you'll like what you see.

i just read a story posted on MM yesterday with a guy shooting 110g t7 and a 200g shockwave and the deer ran 75 yards. I've never had an animal run that far with a powerbelt. Even with a round ball they never ran that far.

110g triple 7 is way over the maximum limit with the 245. Now i did shoot a deer with 120g pyrodex rs with the 245 AT that dropped the deer in its tracks, but i was shooting long range and not close up.

Any of you watch the video Successful muzzleloading video? Lots of bang flops with powerbelts and magnum charges at longer 100+ yard distances!

So if the deer is too close, you have to wait for it to move out :?:

Why not pick one of several loads that don't force you into a slot limited range - ones that if they shoot accurately, you can use them on game without wondering if you need to let them get closer/further (within normal hunting ranges.

The reason to have a load in my gun that I can not shoot with confidence from 1 yd to 150 excapes me - I don't believe one exists.

Steve

Steve this is the way i've always loaded up. If i am hunting up in northern colorado by Meeker, craig, maybell, I'll downsize my bullet for deer, Like last year i used my .45 when i had my 50 and 54 flintlocks in the truck. The 225g powerbelt with 80g t7 was only 3" low and if i HAD to, i could put my sight on the back of a deer at 175 yards and take it down cleanly.

That load performed horrible at 50 yards i will admit that as my dad found out the hard way when he was using the rifle and shot a doe through the lung and exited out the shoulder, taking most of the shoulder off and wasting a lot of good meat. Due to the angle the deer was standing, the bullet passed through the center of the shoulder and just turned it into strips of jerky and the bullet kept goin.

If i were using my .50cal omega up there, i'd set up with the 223 copper, 223 plat or the 245 with 80 grains pyrodex p and be set for 150 yard creek bottom shots. My area up there is usually under 100 yards due to me finding their secret crossing spots that they use to a private land ranchers alfalfa field. Mucho deer in that area!

The deer in my avatar pic is the one i got last year and the belly on it was just stuffed with alafalfa. My dads timber doe was scawny because it was getting the poor mountain grass.

The deer i shot with 150 and 120 graisn RS i KNEW i would have long shots! And the 295 AT with 150g loose RS slipped through both lungs and exited perfectly! The 245 did the same and dropped the deer right in her tracks!

frontier gander said:
110g triple 7 is way over the maximum limit with the 245.

I wont argue that at all. The problem is, that was the most accurate charge for that bullet in my gun. wether i shoot 80grns or 110grns, the Deer don't know the difference.

Still see no reason.

I can pt 80 gr of T7 under a 460 BS or NE (both less then $.50)
and have a devastating, great proforming load from 1 to 150 yds.
Farther if I practise more and have a solid rest.

There is no reason to carry a load I cannot shoot at certain ranges.
None.

Steve

Let it go,,Steve.... :lol: It ain't worth it.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

FG,,,come on over to the DWB site,,,and we'll talk conicals. 8)

My head is starting to hurt - gotta find a softer wall :lol:

Steve

Well you see Bat, On DWBS i got banned when i signed up, Of course seeing how you and UC are mods there, you should have known that. I also know of someone else who got banned when he even used a different name, Doing a little IP address swapping on forums?

So is my powerbelt bullet and rifles to much for ya to handle over there? Sounds like it :wink:

Buy american and thats the treatment you get!!

Underclocked said:
Leave me out of this! I didn't ban you.

I didn't have time. :wink:

LOL :lol:

I enjoy you UC, i dont have one problem with you at all. You and sabotloader are the fun type of guys to chat with.

Back