Difference between grams and grains

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The volume of powder can change, based on the granulation or settling in the measuring vial.

The weight does not change.
That is only true for Bh 209 IF you add the words: “within the same lot #”

Weight does change between lots and to be most consistent, you need to measure by volume with a new lot and then weigh to remain consistent with your load

Again, I am taking the word of people that know more than I do on this. If that is not correct, please let me know.

Last edited:
I need to get a scale to measure black powder loads. I’ve never done this before. I have a food scale that measures grams but not grains. What is the difference?
I gram is approximately 15.43 grains. Therefor you are going to be running the decimal way out to be accurate. Too many things can go wrong. Without getting into the weight/volume measure rabbit hole, why not just get a grain scale. They are cheap and available everywhere. Last I looked Blackhorn gives load data in both volume and also weight measurements. Pick either one you like but I would stay away from weighing on a gram scale and converting. KISS

I never said that. I said there was no reason for the original poster to weigh charges. He is talking about hunting shots well short of 100 yards.

I primarily hunt Colorado where you have to use loose powder. And I like loose. Never used pellets. And you have no choice with BH

Minute of deer? Not true. I get 2” groups at 100 yards with open sights using volume measurements of loose.
I stand corrected sir. I misquoted you and I apologize.

It's not a matter of weight accuracy it is a matter of consistency whether by weight or volume. I believe a benchrest accuracy shooting record was held back in the 50's with ammo reloaded using a Lee dipper.

I gram is approximately 15.43 grains. Therefor you are going to be running the decimal way out to be accurate. Too many things can go wrong. Without getting into the weight/volume measure rabbit hole, why not just get a grain scale. They are cheap and available everywhere. Last I looked Blackhorn gives load data in both volume and also weight measurements. Pick either one you like but I would stay away from weighing on a gram scale and converting. KISS
Good advice, thank you

I've always thought that real black powder is best measured in volume and that measuring any other way is a waste of time. The granulation of black powder is so irregular and contains so many fines that weighing would just turn out to be very inconsistent while volume is volume is volume.
Respectfully offered, volume is volume only if variables are eliminated.
Let's take a look: have you ever tested the volume of BP thrown by a handful of powder measures? You'll be surprised, because the 100 gr. marks on measures will throw weights of the same powder differing by as much as 5 grains. That's no big deal for ordinary fun shooting. But not if you are shooting longer range or match-shooting. Then, use the same measure every time.
Next, the brands of powder. Some are denser, like Swiss, whereas some are lighter, like KIK. So the bulk may be the same from a given measure, but the "oomph" will vary by how the powder was made and just what screen size the maker chose to market and sell as "2F", "3F" or whatever. Thus 100 gr. volume of one powder that is "hotter", like Swiss, might provide more pressure and velocity and thus spin your longer bullet just enough in the twist rate of a given barrel to stabilize that bullet, whereas 100 gr. volume of another that is less powerful might fail to do so. The bullet strikes on the target will vary also, because of differing "barrel time" for the fired bullet, as well as gravity.
Then there is the fact that a can of powder does not contain an even granularity of powder like you may find in a smokeless powder can. This is especially true with BP that has been shipped all around, or carried a good ways by highway, or a shorter ways on a rough road, in a vehicle or trailer. The "fines" may have settled to the bottom whereas the larger grains are at the top. And the finer grains gather in any container as a lesser volume, yet burn faster and provide more power. So for consistency, like match shooting, it's not uncommon to see me or somebody else repeatedly turning our powder can upside down or twisting it all around, to spread the finer grains all around in the can before we begin to load. Otherwise, you get different performance from your measured powder the further down in the can you are pouring from. This is more important for pistol shooters using lesser amounts of powder, tho.
Lastly, take a given powder measure, and weigh out, say, 100 gr. by volume of black powders of different makers, plus substitute powders. Stick with the same granularity tho, like 3F or 2 F. You will find that the volume vs the weight varies all over the place this way. That's why it is always important, when speaking of muzzleloader or cartridge loads using these powders, to always designate the powder and its granularity size, and especially either weight or volume. With the more powerful powders, like Blackhorn 209, Swiss and Triple 7, this is distinctly important.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

It's not a matter of weight accuracy it is a matter of consistency whether by weight or volume. I believe a benchrest accuracy shooting record was held back in the 50's with ammo reloaded using a Lee dipper.
I wonder what a scale, accurate enough for titration, cost back in the olden days.
My first breath was 21SEP57, 7:44pm, Encino California.

My $.02.

For the purposes of hunting at 100 yards or less where 95% of game is shot volume will work and the shooter will never have lost an animal because of inaccurate powder measure.

For the fellow wishing to squeeze the last bit of accuracy out of his rifle, weight would be the measure to use.

Just pick one and go with it. If your not going to shoot in a match just use a volume measure of some kind. I understand the temptation to use a gram scale but it does introduce new conversion possibilities for error. Error in black powder could be deadly. You decide.

Latest posts

Back