File...defile...and file some more

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mofish

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new California sight for the front of my Manton style .40 caliber pistol. I had it sighted for a 6 o'clock hold and decided to try for a poa sight in instead. The California sight is really tall..which is great as it leaves you plenty of height to play with. I sighted it in at 25 yds., and it started at the bottom of the target backing. Just a matter of filing and shooting numerous times until it actually gets to where you want it.
GIQmMHQl.jpg

Mofish, what load were you using in that .40?
Any chance of getting a pic of your new front sight?

Marty said:
Mofish, what load were you using in that .40?
Any chance of getting a pic of your new front sight?
I was shooting a .395 rb with 20 gr. 3f. The California sights ( I know...it's hard to say California without a grimace on your face), are available from TOTW in steel or brass. I used to get them from The Gun Works in Oregon, but they don't carry them anymore. They are a no BS practical sight. I put a brass one in the pic to give you an idea what they look like. 
lj6G7kEl.jpg

The term "California sight" came from a famous writer/gunsmith Andy Fabria (wrong spelling) of that state, later part owner of a muzzleloading wholesale business in CO. He made the sight like you have as well as an adjustable rear sight (the only adjustable rear sight approved by the muzzleloading associations for matches - adjusted using an allen wrench). All the target shooters used the California sight set.

I like that sight, looks strong and sturdy. I'll have to go check out tow and see what they got in stock.

Andy built his sight set for at least 30 years until his business (House of Muskets) required more of his attention. I had three rifles with these sights, then never dreamed they would go away, now looking for another set.

Buck Conner said:
The term "California sight" came from a famous writer/gunsmith Andy Fabria (wrong spelling) of that state, later part owner of a muzzleloading wholesale business in CO. He made the sight like you have as well as an adjustable rear sight (the only adjustable rear sight approved by the muzzleloading associations for matches - adjusted using an allen wrench). All the target shooters used the California sight set.
Thanks for helping me out with the noun "California " sight.  I had no idea what it was, but pics are always worth 1,000 words.

Here's a rough sketch of a Califorina rear sight with allen set screws. With set screws located at top and sides lets you adjust the sight to a (pre-set) for the distance your shooting, with no other adjustments. At a National Championship Shoot the range officer would place tape over set screws and double check at end of the match making this sight workable per the rules "no adjustable sights".

CA-Rear-Sight.jpg

Very interesting....I've used their front sights for years, but never even knew they made a rear one.

They are few and far between.  Unfortunately, no longer in production according to my local ML shop.  Can't remember if the were in Glendale or Moreno Valley, California.  Maybe there were two.

I've never liked filing front sights.  I just usually just buy one that's taller or shorter and replace it!

The sights were made in Pagosa Springs Colorado for 30 years after leaving Burbank CA.  Andy was a good friend and fun to shoot against in contests in his area.

Latest posts

Back