Fired up the smoke candle!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Finally got my chance to use a beeswax candle i bought last year LOL. Rick N bama sent me a traditions prairie hawken kit he wanted me to put together after he smashed on it with a hammer for a while :ss:

I am close to finishing the long tang inletting, then I will move onto the barrel channel.

This rifle has a nice hawken style nose cap and entry pipe and I plan on making that pop out real nicely.

Pics coming as they happen.

Not really liking this overall rifle design.

A couple issues I have, they have brass ramrod thimbles and then the ramrod uses silver end pieces. The wedge key plates are also silver. To much going on here! 

The stock is very bulky and the wrist is short which gives it a funky short stubby look.

I do like the rear sight, all except that the actual sight sits, 2 3/8" behind the dovetail. Way to close to the shooters eye and makes the rear sight extremely difficult to see clearly.

Now what really though me off is the fact that they are using a heavy 1" barrel on this rifle! This rifle is a little over 8lbs which I think is a lot for a 28" barrel Hawken.

The trigger is inletted to deeply and requires the shooter to set the trigger so the sear clears the trigger bar. I will have to shim it later on to fix this problem.

The tang is spring like steel and has a ton of springiness to it, which makes getting a perfect rock solid fit very impossible. The barrel is loaded up with pressure/springiness which I always try to remove, but is impossible on this rifle.

The lock fits nice and tight with great inletting, tightest inletting ive ever seen with a traditions. However, inside the lock panel, they did not remove enough wood, so all the internals are rubbing tightly against the wood, locking it up. Not happy with this at all!

The overall feel of the rifle feels great, it feels like a real gun, hefty, strong feeling, beautiful balance, just looks funny right now! I want to try to thin this stock out as much as possible and try to make it look clean.

The fish belly stock once again has appeared and IMO, this is what gives the stock an ugly look.
100_0912.jpg

100_0913.jpg

100_0914.jpg

You see what I mean about the rear section of stock and that fish belly? Its just huge and unattractive! To help, I will shape the stock with the hawken style thumb hook to break up the stock outline. But that lower half, holy crap! Im at a loss of what I could do to help it. I sure would hate to cut it straight and mess it up, but man....
100_0917.jpg

100_0916.jpg

100_0915.jpg

That stock looks like it's on Prednisone.

Would the sight work if you reversed it in the dovetail so the sight was 3"-4" farther away?

"Prednisone" oh ya, needed to push itself away from the dinner table with that gut. Change the sight to what your gun has. I have never liked the trigger guard on these rifle, that finger guard has always been an issue even on originals (many were cut off getting rid of the "catcher" as it was referred to because it seems to grabs brush and other things as it passes by).

100_0917.jpg

man that angle is so bad if i were to cut it! lol even seeing that line, screams, its still gonna be ugly!

I think they added such a huge stock to help balance the weight of that heavy 1" barrel.

I dont think the stock would work in reverse. I will mention this to the owner, along with the link where he can buy a replacement close to what mine looks like.

Straighten the stock, thin the sides down, drill a 1 inch hole in the butt and pour some lead in, now you have the weight to offset the large barrel.
 Cut that trigger guard.

Ahhhh!! That gives me an idea. I could drill a grease hole in the stock to help break up that large piece and make it a little easier on the eye.

Lots of easy things to be done to change the whole gun's appearance Jon.  :Red tup:

Not to be too picky....But doesn't the lock panels seem a bit large or is that the style of the rifle?....Just curious...

Hilljack

Most of these companies making a half stock rifles and using the Hawken name or one close, have tried for years to make something close to what a good reproduction (example Pedersoli) should look like Hilljack. ​
They keep trying, no cigar yet ....  :thumb down:   :cools:​
115S.208-S.295.jpg

It doesn't take much to affect the look of the rifle. If it was my rifle I would do the following. 1. Reduce the size of the lock plates. 2. Cut the front of the comb back to extend the wrist. 3. Reduce or completely eliminate the fish belly.(Never liked the style). I thought this rifle had all steel or silver furniture. There is no mention of brass anywhere in the specs. I don't think you need to completely replace the stock to make it look better. These kits always come with a lot of excess wood. Slim that puppy down.

OK guys I'm the nut job that bought this kit and thought I could do the build.  I soon realized that I had bitten off more than I could chew!  With my 70yo eyes the rear sight may be a bit too hard for me to see so if it doesn't work out then I'll replace it with a fixed as Jon did on the Mountain Rifle I bought from him a couple months ago.  I've give Jon a free rein to do as he sees fit, I only requested that the barrel be browned and an oil finish be used on the stock.  I'm quite certain that I'll wind up with a nice shooting rifle that one of my Grandsons will be proud to inherit when that day comes.

Rick

You certainly will get a good looking rifle Rick! I bought some aluminum shims for the trigger today and will install one later today to see how it does. I believe I will remove some of that stock to make the wrist longer and therefore, make the stock look thinner.

Time to coffee up! Had a long day at the docs.

Lots of progress done today!

Made some aluminum shims to correct the trigger depth issue. Also made a shim to go under the tang for a  little less pressure on the barrel.

A good deal of "Hawken" style shaping in  the wrist, but I used a roman nose design of sorts rather than the Hawken square thumb hook as I call it.

Rick requested something be done with the moon inlay on the cheek piece. And boy am I exhausted after that! No more moon and I was able to get a nice dish shape in the cheek piece rather than flat. I also curved the cheek piece around so it connects into the thumb hook of the wrist area.  I didn't dish that cheek piece out very noticeably like say on one of the german style target guns, but you can see it if you look at it right.
100_0920.jpg

100_0921.jpg

Jon you're da man!  You'll never know how proud I am to see the piece of junky silver gone from the cheekpiece!

Good start! Trim those lock panels and take good bit of that perch belly out of the butt and Rich will have a fine shooting iron.

I got a lot of the nose cap shaped to the brass. Just removed the cap and filled in the screw holes and will redrill them later so I can get a better fit of wood/brass.

Just taking little steps and knocking them out one by one.

Jon,  the nose cap didn't fit at all did it?  Can't wait (really I can) to see the finished rifle!

It was just slightly cocked to one side which left a lot of wood to remove on the other side. Easier to correct this by filling the screw holes and redrilling.

I got a lot of shaping done today. Just taking my time and making adjustments where I can. The ramrod entry pipe really pleases me on this rifle. They got this area right as far as design goes.

Back