Fired up the smoke candle!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the nose cap drilled and screwed into place today. Knocked down the edges as well. I always like to leave a little extra for at least one refinish if the stock is ever damaged down the road.
100_0922.jpg

Next time I will use a lighter color oil based stain for the curly maple faux stripes. These kind of washed out as I rubbed finish into the stock and the wood darkened. We'll call them ghost stripes as they show up better at certain angles. Just a fun way to help enhance the wood a little.
100_0927.jpg

I'm liking the dark stain. What did you use? It's really starting to shape up! (pun intended  :D) Cutting the wrist shape back into the comb really helped to improve the profile. Looking forward to seeing the finished job.

One coat of dixie gun works antique gun stain. The light ghost stripes are 3 coats of the same stain.

The stock sure is looking good, I like the dark stain as well.  Keep up the good work Jon :lol: :lol:

You really improved the looks of that stock with that wrist. comb transition area. Great job as always. Looking forward to Ricks shooting report. Interested in how it shoulders and balances.

Forgot to mention that I got a chance to handle and look over a factory  rifle Friday. It had the black chromed silver furniture on it. I will say it looked very shiney and pretty as long as you were going to hang it on a wall or just shoot it at the range. Way to reflective to use for hunting out in the field. I'm guessing they switched to brass furniture in their kits because there is no way for a homebuilder to put a black chromed finish on the stuff. They should have at least made all the furniture in the kits brass instead of a mix.

Back