First Flinter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahd776

Reaction score
Looking for advise on a first flintlock rifle. Have shot and own several percussion sidelocks and inlines but feel the need to have a flinter. I am also a lefty. Is that a problem with a right handed rifle or should I try and find a lefty. What do you guys recommend.

Just starting out I would go with a T/C Hawken or Renegade. If you look around and shop carefully you should be able to find a good, clean used one. The Lymans are good factory guns too.

Look the Track of the Wolf website if you want to think about the custom gun route. They always have quite a few flintlock rifles for sale and good pics--look for one with a Jim Chambers made lock. Have fun.

There are left handed shooters that use a right handed flinter, but often talk about the flash in front of their eye. One person I talk to on line is a lefty and he could not believe the difference when he finally got a left handed rifle.

Personally, I would look for a left handed flintlock rifle. But then I don't have that problem.

I am right handed but left eye dominant. Yes that may explain a few things. I have been hunting with a flintlock since the mid 70s. I shoot all my rifles left handed. When I started flintlock hunting I could not find a single lefty rifle. I got a right handed one and proceeded to learn what a good flinch was all about. As soon as the left handed models showed up I had one and never looked back. It is near impossible not to flinch with that flash pan goes off in your face. Saying that I know of several deer that I shot with my right hand flinter and a couple more with my left hand flinter shot from the right shoulder. It can be done but takes nerves of steel to hold that thing still.

Back