First Muzzleloader Kill

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forge

Reaction score
I finally shot my first deer with a muzzleloader at my place in Arkansas. I took this doe with a 300 grain .452 caliber saboted XTP over 100 grains (2 pellets) of 777.
It was a perfect heart shot at 25 yards and she still bolted and ran 70 to 80 yards with a destroyed heart. I was impressed that she ran that far. She’s not a monster, but she’ll eat.9D10D165-FFD4-4AD6-B318-E4FD97E7827E.jpeg66E079C5-2486-4A2A-9C07-0ADDFCD46C51.jpeg

Nice work. Don't let anyone ever tell you that a deer is a pushover when it comes to dying. I've seen deer with similar heart/lung damage go 100 yards before dropping.

I finally shot my first deer with a muzzleloader at my place in Arkansas. I took this doe with a 300 grain .452 caliber saboted XTP over 100 grains (2 pellets) of 777.
It was a perfect heart shot at 25 yards and she still bolted and ran 70 to 80 yards with a destroyed heart. I was impressed that she ran that far. She’s not a monster, but she’ll eat.View attachment 23926View attachment 23927
Congrats on your first muzzleloader deer.
I've seen a few deer run 100yds or so, with their heart blown to pieces. It amazes me too how they can do that.
And yep, it'll eat dang good. Enjoy it.

Congratulations! Amazing that she could run like that with her heart pulverized. How was blood trail? Did you have an exit wound?
Blood trail was easy to follow and started about 5 or 7 yards away. Exit wound was roughly twice the size of entry, but ribs were splintered. I inadvertently became her blood brother on a bone shard while scooping out the lungs.

I inadvertently became her blood brother on a bone shard while scooping out the lungs.

Most likely not a problem but if you find yourself sniffing the air in the fall and your nail growth gets unusual or you have urges to rub your forehead on the furniture about late September, maybe make an appointment with your vet.

Latest posts

Back