First of many days with the 50 cal fast twist smokeless trying to establish Harvester smooth or ribbed?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have good sunlight today I'll try to get a better picture this is the 50 cal 22 twist plastic and I'm fixing to shoot some Light blues here in the next couple of hours when my plastic is right and there's no wind all of my plastic will land in a 3 ft Circle when my plastic is right my parachute opens up almost 90° with the cup, when my load is right I have a good seal on the base with just a little slight stress at the base, what I'm getting at is when my plastic is looking different not opening up all the way, not hitting the same place after fire on the ground on a calm one day, and just even the visual of my plastic looks different shot to shot or if I'm tearing pedals sometimes and again I still had some rifles that tore pedals that shot accurately. It really comes down to this the success of the two loads that I'm using constantly are very plastic tune related so much so that I have become obsessed with it a little bit if you have a notice again I never set out to become Mr plastic shooter but the more I find the more I'm going there

Attachments

• 20240201_122132.jpg
    20240201_122132.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
Light blues coming tomorrow I was going to shoot the Paramount with Light blues but it's so heavy and stable I think it would be more challenging to try to go out long distance with one of the Omega 18 twist so on tomorrow's agenda is the 50 cal longer distance at least 300 and if everything looks decent maybe 400 and also maybe take the Omega 18 twist to 300 and 400 yd too

I'm curious to see what the 50 cal smokeless with a better bullet little bit better BC can do out at 3 and 400 I've shot the 45 out that far a lot I know what it can do

The only way I know I can alter a sabot (other than Heating it=stupidly impractical) is to put a wad under it, or knurl the bullet in it. or push it harder with more powder. I'm fresh out of durometers so I can't check my sabots for individual consistency, I'll just have to trust the folks at Harvester (and I have no reason not to).
Tom: we've got more testing to do when I get back to your range.

I'm looking for a load that makes my plastic react the same, I'm not looking for plastic that makes my load the same, if that makes sense Harvester is what Harvester is, I never have sat down and measured whether there is constant consistency between sabots ,not what I'm getting at at all, determining how far I can push the plastic to for me isn't to achieve all the velocity I can it is to achieve all the accuracy I can, I would have already jumped to a wad or something else. Decay, your cut rifle brux may not shine with plastic it really is better suited for bullets that are sized,, however I do have many cut rifle barrels that also shine with plastic it's just not as quickly as the button rifle do

Decay those are good questions, that I have no idea,, my point I keep going back to is when you're shooting a plastic load it is important to consider the tune of that plastic, whereas I think most of us approach working up a load considering more powder volume and bullet weight, I keep seeing this,,all of my accurate plastic loads are directly related to the sabots function, and I guess all of us that shoot sabots loads would say well duh,, that's obvious but I don't think we consider it enough and work with it enough. The two loads that I crow about so much the 57 grain load of IMR and the light blue in a 45 Cal fast twist and now this 59 grain load in a 50 cal fast twist shooting six or seven bullets all less than MOA with the same load something is screaming at me about that quote same load both the 57 and the 59 grains are consistent at least the 57 grain load is in many many rifles my stubborn simple to mind keeps asking why is that I predict I'm going to see that same consistency in the 59 grain load in other barrels I won't know that until I shoot other barrels I am convinced of this with improved Plastics plastic shooting could go to some great places even better than it is now it won't go there if we don't push it I don't think Harvester is fixing to come out next week with a new line of smokeless long distance Plastics or anybody else and that is too bad cuz I see such potential
Awesome reply.

I have a bag of the Fury 265 stb's with me also. I just haven't tried them yet. I've got lotsa bullets to try! And 8lb of VVN120. I just wanted to stay as light as possible to reduce recoil. All of these bullets will work great on deer. But I want 1/2 moa. I'll be back at Ninerings range with him pretty soon.
Let us(me) know how the load dev works out with the STBs in sml. Ive got a bag of them too. Just have yet to get around to shooting them in my Scout. I’m planning to use n120 also.

The only way I know I can alter a sabot (other than Heating it=stupidly impractical) is to put a wad under it, or knurl the bullet in it. or push it harder with more powder. I'm fresh out of durometers so I can't check my sabots for individual consistency, I'll just have to trust the folks at Harvester (and I have no reason not to).
Tom: we've got more testing to do when I get back to your range.
Yessir! I'm looking forward to it. We both have lots of shooting to do with a bunch of diff bullets.

Light blues coming tomorrow I was going to shoot the Paramount with Light blues but it's so heavy and stable I think it would be more challenging to try to go out long distance with one of the Omega 18 twist so on tomorrow's agenda is the 50 cal longer distance at least 300 and if everything looks decent maybe 400 and also maybe take the Omega 18 twist to 300 and 400 yd too
I'm looking forward to range reports with both

Don't have good sunlight today I'll try to get a better picture this is the 50 cal 22 twist plastic and I'm fixing to shoot some Light blues here in the next couple of hours when my plastic is right and there's no wind all of my plastic will land in a 3 ft Circle when my plastic is right my parachute opens up almost 90° with the cup, when my load is right I have a good seal on the base with just a little slight stress at the base, what I'm getting at is when my plastic is looking different not opening up all the way, not hitting the same place after fire on the ground on a calm one day, and just even the visual of my plastic looks different shot to shot or if I'm tearing pedals sometimes and again I still had some rifles that tore pedals that shot accurately. It really comes down to this the success of the two loads that I'm using constantly are very plastic tune related so much so that I have become obsessed with it a little bit if you have a notice again I never set out to become Mr plastic shooter but the more I find the more I'm going there
That sabot looks like that load is perfect.

Yes and no ,it is what I'm looking for with plastic, but the final verdict is the consistent grouping that I'm getting with multiple bullets with that particular weight charge just as in the 57 grain load that I see that consistency in in the 45 Cal, the great determining Factor is of course accuracy what I keep harping on is when I see that consistent accuracy most of the time my plastic is looking exactly like this

I have a bag of the Fury 265 stb's with me also. I just haven't tried them yet. I've got lotsa bullets to try! And 8lb of VVN120. I just wanted to stay as light as possible to reduce recoil. All of these bullets will work great on deer. But I want 1/2 moa. I'll be back at Ninerings range with him pretty soon.
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/smokeless-patriot-observations.58219/#post-558342
Decay,
I linked a post about a load that just flat shoots in my Brux Patriot with N120 you might be interested in as well, that's with the Northern Precision Pin Point 270 gr. bullet. You can get these made up without the tip in a bonded version as well. Mtn Mnky will attest to the accuracy of these as he is the one who put me onto them.

Also Mtn monkey,
I have some Harvester clear / white .40 for .45 sabots that Cutting Edge bullets gave me to try out since I was having problems getting their bullets to shoot and noticed I was shredding sabots with N120. They said these were a prototype sabot, you might be interested to try them out as well. For me they shredded just the same as the light blues did, but I'm understanding that N120 is not the most sabot friendly powder either, and the Cutting Edge bullets are known for this problem I gather as well.

I'll have to see how many I have left and get some pics for you.

Haven't got to the 45 today I'm just been messing around with the 50 and shopping in town decided to go ahead and take the 50 to 300 yards this is three shots Pitman 325 grain dot 452 IMR 59.3 grains the wind is really going nuts it's been hard to sit here and wait on the Wind to break I shot three at 200 this is three at 300 I don't know if I'll get out to 400 today but the 300 groups got potential I'm trying to save some bullets for 400 so I'm not going to do much more at 300 today

Attachments

• 20240202_151207.jpg
    20240202_151207.jpg
    853.6 KB · Views: 1
I hope Mr Pittman doesn't think I'm abusing his bullets with the plastic I know if you ask him if he would recommend this load he would laugh

Back