From the Kentucky mountains

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETipp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Finally got out and broke in my .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle. Beautiful, cool morning. Squirrels were spotty but active. Man, this is a real sport here fellas. I’ve killed many squirrels in my day but never this late in the season. Hunted all my life and this was one of the funnest and challenging hunts ever. I am officially hooked on this one. Every bit as fun as I thought it would be and then some.

Brought home 5 bushy tails.

I love it!0E340C85-F516-449B-AC99-D7C3E2B5446E.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice work! Late season squirrels are a challenge, for sure.
Thank you. They are a challenge for sure. So much so that I've been out two more times since this first one and didn't bring home a squirrel. I could have done so had I taken my .22 with a scope but that's not why I bought my Crockett Squirrel Rifle. But even then, the squirrels are very difficult to hunt right now. They spend almost all their time just sitting up in trees and watching. They can see a person coming for 100 yards or more. Very difficult to close the gap.

Thank you. They are a challenge for sure. So much so that I've been out two more times since this first one and didn't bring home a squirrel. I could have done so had I taken my .22 with a scope but that's not why I bought my Crockett Squirrel Rifle. But even then, the squirrels are very difficult to hunt right now. They spend almost all their time just sitting up in trees and watching. They can see a person coming for 100 yards or more. Very difficult to close the gap.
When I was a kid in Wisconsin, I tried to hunt them in December a few times. With crunchy snow or crunchy leaves on the ground, the only hope was to find a spot with lots of squirrels and just sit completely still in one place for a long, long time. I never had either warm enough clothes or enough patience for that. I suppose a trained squirrel dog might have helped by moving around on the opposite side of a tree with a squirrel in it to get the squirrel to move to my side of the tree... but I suspect that most of the squirrels would have just taken off through the tops of the trees rather than staying in one tree long enough to give me a shot.

That looks like it would be fun with a sidelock.

Back about 1965 I found a pair of Savage -Anschutz matching rifles, one in .22lr and the other in .22mag. I scoped both with Redfield scopes, a 4-power fixed on the .22 and a 6-power fixed on the mag. It didn't matter which gun, but both would put ten shots in a nickel at 100 yards. I used that mag for squirrels. Heads only. It wouldn't matter where the squirrel was at in the tree.... a crotch, a tangle of vines, a nest....it had enough energy at impact to remove the squirrel from the tree. The .22lr would not do that all the time, even with a head shot.

Good shooting! You have better eye sight for sure! Grays are still legal here till end of February. Fox squirrel is closed till the two week June season.

That would be such a hoot! I’ve always wanted to get a .32 for squirrel hunting.
Well if ya like squirrels then you'd most likely enjoy it. I got in late on it. Just got my Crockett Squirrel Rifle a month and a half ago or so. Didn't get to hunt with it until a week ago or so. But there is no denying earlier in the season would be the most productive, especially after the acorns and hickory's start falling. Just about have to throw rocks at squirrels here to get them out of my way when deer hunting. Different game now, however. They tend to set tight and just watch. They can see someone coming for 100 yards or more. So it can be difficult sneaking up on the little buggers during late season.

Back