Frustrating Vortek Strikerfire

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabinajiles

Reaction score
I had an opportunity today to do some further shooting with the Vortek Strikerfire I picked up. I have now put around 120 rounds through this rifle and have yet to find a load that gives acceptable accuracy. It has a pretty tight bore which somewhat limits what bullet/sabot I can use but I've tried everything I've got and cannot get it to hold a decent group at 100 yds. I've used nothing but BH209, either 70 or 77 gns weighed. all shots are from a solid rest on a lead sled. I've tried not swabbing the barrel for a 3 shot group and tried swabbing every shot. I've changed the scope to one I know is reliable and it made no difference. I checked all the screws on the scope mount when I received the rifle, taking out one at a time and lock-titeing them before reinstalling. With a few loads, I can get a couple of shots to group fairly well but there is always a flyer that is at least 3" or more off, high and left or right, and the flyer could be any shot of the three. Some bullets that shoot accurate as hell out of my CVA rifles and MK85 just scatter all over the target face, giving no better than an 8-10" group. I've read of others getting good accuracy from Vortek rifles and have no reason to doubt them, but I just can't get it.

I noticed a couple of things today while shooting. When loading a fairly snug, but not extremely tight, bullet/sabot, it seems as if the barrel has several spots where it gets tighter, then looser, like it has an uneven bore. Also, I have the scope centered for 260 gn Scorpion PT Golds over 70 gns by weight of BH209, or at least as centered as I can get it with the inconsistent groups. When I switched to 300 gn PT Golds over 77 gn, the bullets were hitting high and left, up to 6" each way. 290 gr Barnes TEZs over 77 gn were also just as much high and left as were 300 gr XTPs over 77 gr. I never expected that kind of difference. The PT Golds and Barnes at least would put a couple of shots fairly close together but always had one several inches off. The XTPs were all over the place. I'm going to swab the bore 50-60 strokes with some J-B bore paste before the next session but I don't have high hopes it will magically fix everything. This is getting frustrating and I'm starting to wonder if I can get this rifle to shoot accurately at all.

Things I would try is a different powder. Triple Seven or Pyrodex. Start the loads at 80 grains by volume, and swab between shots. Maybe your rifle just does like BlackHorn 209. A bullet I would try is the T/C Shockwaves. If your bore is tight, pick up a pack of crushed rib sabots just in case you need to load them. It is frustrating when a rifle just will not tune in, but hang in there.

Free float the forearm?

Index sabots?

Knurl bullets?

Cut off the Speed Load System and get a good crown put on?

Breech Plug flash hole too big?

Breech plug properly cleaned with a drill bit turned by hand?

Have you shot open sights yet at 50 yards?

Does it have an accuracy guarantee? maybe send it back?

I know there's more but I'm drawing a blank.....give me a few :wall:

cayuga said:
Things I would try is a different powder. Triple Seven or Pyrodex. Start the loads at 80 grains by volume, and swab between shots. Maybe your rifle just does like BlackHorn 209. A bullet I would try is the T/C Shockwaves. If your bore is tight, pick up a pack of crushed rib sabots just in case you need to load them. It is frustrating when a rifle just will not tune in, but hang in there.
I tried SSTs, both 250 and 300 gn, using the supplied sabots , black crush ribs, HPH24s and Harvester smooth short sabots. I also tried HPH12s with them but they are just way to tight to load comfortably. The crush ribs might have shot a bit better but there honestly was not a lot of difference. I appreciate the suggestion on a different powder and I will probably try 777 but I honestly do not think that is going to make any difference. I have yet to see any rifle that would not shoot as well, or better, with BH209 and frankly, I'm not sure I want a modern scoped inline that will not shoot it.

BuckDoeHunter said:
Free float the forearm?

Index sabots?

Knurl bullets?

Cut off the Speed Load System and get a good crown put on?

Breech Plug flash hole too big?

Breech plug properly cleaned with a drill bit turned by hand?

Have you shot open sights yet at 50 yards?

Does it have an accuracy guarantee? maybe send it back?

I know there's more but I'm drawing a blank.....give me a few :wall:

I could be wrong, but I might expect free floating the forearm, indexing sabots and knurling bullets to cut a 2" group to 1" but not cure the inconsistencies I am seeing.

The barrel does not have a speed load system and the crown actually looks quite good.

Breech plug was new with the rifle so the flash hole is the standard size Tradition uses. I have not heard of others having problems with that and I am getting no blow back around the primer pocket.

I clean the breech plug with a drill bit every 5 shots.

It doesn't have iron sights. I switched scopes to a Nikon I had on another rifle and I am certain there isn't a scope problem. I even switched the scope back to the Optima V2 I had it on and while the zero was off because of the adjustments i made while on the Vortek, it shot consistent 1-1.5" groups using some of the same loads I tried in the Vortek. FWIW, the Vortek will shoot 1 hole groups at 25 yds with either scope but when I back off to 100, they open up big time.

Unfortunately, it does not have an accuracy guarantee and from what I have heard about Traditions customer support, I doubt they will be much help.

The large POI changes due to different loads is baffling. My next step is going to be a very thorough examination of all the mechanicals, stock and forearm mounting bolts and fit to the hinge pin. Nothing appears to be loose but I'm going to check them all. I'm also going to take a very close look at the integrity of the supplied scope base and rings. The base is a Weaver style clone, as are the rings, and while they appear to be adequate, they certainly aren't the most robust I've seen. Again, nothing appears to be loose but I'm going to take a hard look at them.

BuckDoeHunter said:
this says it has a 'speed load system'
https://traditionsfirearms.com/product/ ... -r561120ns

looks similar to TC and CVA quick loading, no rifling for a short distance
https://traditionsfirearms.com/technology

Does yours have rifling all the way to the end of the bore?

I do feel your pain, I'm not happy until my rifle shoots 1" or less at 100yds consistantly.
I am aware of what a speed loading system looks like and of what Traditions website description says. However, this barrel does not have it and is rifled all the way to the muzzle.

sabinajiles said:
..........I noticed a couple of things today while shooting. When loading a fairly snug, but not extremely tight, bullet/sabot, it seems as if the barrel has several spots where it gets tighter, then looser, like it has an uneven bore...........

That, would cause me concern. Regardless of Traditions CS, I'd be calling them. After that amount of shooting/testing, it appears there's a potential problem with that barrel.

I would call Traditions Inc and demand a return of your ML, since it does not contain a Speed Load System, as advertised in the most recent Traditions website writeups for that Strikerfire.

Also check-measure the flash-hole size, because your mention of absolute zero blowback (since brand new) and a easy by-hand removal of your breechplug after a range session, could indicate a faulty flash-hole. It should not be that super-easy and that perfectly clean after a range visit.

Have that hole measured - find out what the factory tolerances for that flash-hole are - and if necessary, include that plug in your complaint.

One last thing..... The inside of that barrel isn't cerakoted..... is it?

There is no mention of the speed load system aka QLA from two of the reviewers. (Chuck Hawks actually Dr. Jim Carey and Toby Bridges). One of the reviews from a former member here states they did away with it on the Strikefire line up and he posted a pic too.

IMG_0867_zps87fc2cf3.jpg

Maybe its been added back to current models. I don't really know.

As far as the plug is concerned the reviews claim the plug does remove without a tool most of the time. A tool is included in case it does get tight. I would doubt there is anything wrong with the flash hole but it is still a good idea to measure it.

I think every single review ive read claims the barrels are tight. Loading a sabot that is too tight can stress the petals. If your loading jag goes in the sabot it can also snag them and lift the bullet/sabot off the powder. The smallest sabot for flat based bullets is the MMP 3P-EZ which i believe is the same sabot that comes with the Traditions SmackDown bullets. It is basically the same bullet as the SSTs with a red sabot too.

There is a way to achieve a similar or even slightly smaller loaded OD combination. Use a MMP Orange 50x458 sabot with a .451 or a .452 bullet. Parker bullets are .451 and so are many Barnes bullets. I think the Harvester PT Gold is also a .451 or a .4515.

My barrel is exactly like the picture GM54-120 posted. There is no speed loading system, QLA or whatever manufacturers want to call it. Frankly, I'm glad it doesn't, as I find them unnecessary and when not done right, seems to cause accuracy problems with bore sized conicals. As I said, the crown is actually quite well done so it is not the problem. I am also concerned about the sticky spots in the barrel, but until I polish the barrel a bit to make sure they aren't caused by a rough bore, I'm not going to claim a bad barrel. After I polish the bore and check for any mechanical issues, including possibly changing the scope base and rings, and then I still have issues getting it to shoot, I will contact Tradition about the barrel. Again, from what I have heard about their customer service, that might be an adventure.

I didn't get this rifle for my primary hunting weapon. I got it on a whim as another rifle to mess with. i just didn't expect to mess with it this much. There is a lot about the rifle that I like. Traditions has really upped their game over the last several years. The fit and finish on the rifle may not be as good as a premium rifle but it is pretty darn good. The rifle is quite light and balances well. One of the reasons I got it was because I was intrigued by the striker fire system and I really do like that. It works very well, is very intuitive to use and allows a scope to be mounted closer than a hammer fired rifle. The breech plug does remove very easily, doesn't have any blow back around the threads or primer pocket and has always fired BH209 without a problem. However, if I can't get it to shoot, it's worthless but I haven't gotten to that point yet. Too many others have reported good results with a Vortek for this to be normal. I just have to figure out what the problem is.

I would contact the company to discuss your issues. At a minimum, ask them what bullet/sabot/load they recommend for accuracy. I would then consider trying that combination. That should tell you if it's a problem child barrel, or just a really finicky barrel.

You obviously know what you're doing...and it sounds like you've put it through the paces. I've never shot one of those... so I have no experience.
About the only thing I can think is to try reducing the load, just to see if that matters. Maybe 80-90gr vol and see. Sounds like it probably won't matter, but I'd probably try that and see. If it doesn't make any difference, I'd call on it. I would think you should be able to get it to at least hold a respectable group.

My striker fire has been nothing but problems. It shoots a few shots fine and then the firing pin will not lock when you slide it forward. The solution is to completely take apart the entire firing pin assembly and clean it all out good and put it back together. So I called Traditions and they asked what I was using for powder. 3 pirodex 50/50 pellets. They said "oh that gun is only designed for 2 pellets". Nowhere in the documentation does it say that. So I tried it with 2 pellets this weekend and 3 shots were ok and then the 4th, the firing pin would not lock in place. cleaned it all out again and same problem 3 shots ok and the 4th it would not lock. I get a bunch of blowback on the breach plug. Even to the point that I can see it on the bottom of the scope. Not sure if that is coming from the o-ring on the leg or he primer. I'm using Remington Kleanbore 209 primers.

Good to hear that other people have good success with this gun, but I sure don't. I've probably run 75 rounds through it and it's been nothing but problems for the beginning. Any thoughts?

Are you using an o-ring in the breechplug primer pocket? That and Cheddite primers has been keeping mine shooting clean. I don't use pellets but would have to look in the manual to see if what they are saying is true. If not I'd call back and raise hell.

ConcreteDR.. phalanx is right. Search traditions vortex. Many have the same issue that's usually resolved by the o-ring.

Yep - those are the ones many of us use. They go in the primer pocket of the plug.

I’m sure someone would be willing to mail you a few to try. They aren’t all that cheap with shipping.

View attachment 37073

My striker Fire does the same thing after5-6 shots. I’m using 2 pellets. When it acts up all I have to do is wipe off the breech face. Traditions thought I was FOS when I explained the problem to them.

120 grains of BH209 by volume equals 3 pellets (150 grains by volume). The Traditions manual does not specifically say 2 pellets is max allowed.

Nor does the manual show a load with 3 pellets and ConcreteDR was told by the company the gun was not designed for 3 pellets. But the manual does say:

WARNING: NEVER EXCEED THE RECOMMENDED MAXIMUM BLACK POWDER OR BLACK POWDER SUBSTITUTE CHARGE LISTED IN THIS BOOK OR BY THE POWDER MANUFACTURER​

Followed by:
If the recommended maximum charge is exceeded then injury or death to the shooter or bystanders can occur.

I would never advise in an open forum going above/against what the manufacturer states.

Latest posts

Back