Getting rounds loaded for 1000 yds.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recoil that is too much and affects accuracy is an important mitigating factor in cartridge selection, no matter what the gun. I see little to no need for a .45 Govt case larger than a 90, even for 1000 yards.

I load and shoot PPBs for a Sharps .45-70 that was major modified (both the chamber and bore) strictly for PPBs, it won't chamber standard .45-70 Govt cartridges. As such, this .45-70 becomes a virtual .45-90 of sorts. This is a relatively light recoil, long distance cartridge. I create my bore riders using Starline brass, Fed 210M primers, 81 grains of Swiss 1-1/2F, a single .060" LDPE wad, a BACO JIM 444530E mold with 1:16 alloy that produces 528 grain slicks and are wrapped with dry Seth Cole 7# paper.

The rifle sports Lee Shaver super grade vernier soule rear sight and a spirit level front sight. Fouling control is extremely important and for me it's handled by Brent's bore gopher design that I build and use with plain water, followed by a dry patch for the chamber prep for the next loaded round, both the gopher and patch go down the tube at the same, basically to save time during a match. The slicks sit in the case about 1/10" and are lightly held in by the case mouth - slicks can be turned by hand and even pulled out, but won't fall out if turned upside down. You want as little neck tension as possible.

I love these BPCR guns, only use black powder and PPBs, and even have an original Remington .45-70 roller from the turn of the last century. Great sport! I've learned a lot from my mentors, it's all good stuff, and sharing gun knowledge is at least a good thing. I hope my ramblings will help some folks or at least get a few thinking about shooting/hunting with one of these late 19th century rifles. They are nothing short of a blast, promise.

ol'bessie'ready.jpg

bore gophers.jpg

20211112_192134.jpg

I have always wondered how heavy a Sharp's rifle had to be in order to mitigate the recoil from the biggest cartridges, such as the. 50-140 Sharps, which I believe was introduced to the market in 1886?

In excess of 16 pounds?

I have always wondered how heavy a Sharp's rifle had to be in order to mitigate the recoil from the biggest cartridges, such as the. 50-140 Sharps, which I believe was introduced to the market in 1886?

In excess of 16 pounds?

Depends on lots of conditions. The first being the need for such a hand held cannon.

Back