Gun barrel fluting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last April I had a H&R 308 barrel built for my rifle.The guys name is David White from Bixby,Ok.He made the barrel 26'' and said he will make it a bull barrel.The original had 22'' in barrel from factory.When I got it back in Sept. I was so amazed at the barrel.EXCEPT,the barrel is made for bench and long distance shooting.It looks and feels more like a weight bar in a gym.I tried to use it this year in our gun season but it was just too heavy to carry and to try and get it up to shoot a deer.Back to the title.I want to take this 308 out to Nebraska for a mule deer hunt with my younger brother.Does anyone do any barrel fluting on a single shot or know some one that does?The whole barrel is the same diameter from breech to the muzzle.I would like to look into that long before we start getting ready.Thanks in advance.

.Does anyone do any barrel fluting on a single shot or know some one that does?The whole barrel is the same diameter from breech to the muzzle.I would like to look into that long before we start getting ready.Thanks in advance.
The fast twist 8 spiral fluting will remove the most weight but it's probably less that a pound. You may consider having the barrel shortened or turned down to a slimmer profile. Give Paul at Pro Precision Rifles a call to discuss fluting and weight reduction, that's his main business. BARREL FLUTING PAGE

Fluting is for making a thin barrel a bit more rigid, helping to dissipate heat or for looks.

IMO, you'd be better off to get it contoured to the weight you want.

Latest posts

Back